Haywarduck

Well Done Oregon Basketball! (Not what you think)

"What was absolutely freakish when watching Tuimoloau was his feet. I am not sure that I’ve ever seen a player who is 6-foot-5 and around 280 pounds have better feet on a basketball court than him," 

This offer could be the tipping point?  I have to admit that this player has a much better chance of playing two sports than Arik Armstead did...  (Could Dana use a board-banger right now?)

Photos: JT Tuimoloau leads Eastside Catholic over Wilson and into WIAA 3A  boys basketball state quarterfinals - High School Sports News, Scores,  Videos, Rankings - SBLive

Mr. FishDuck

The major advantage Oregon gains with this is that Oregon's basketball program is pretty good. Another Pac-12 Championship and they should be getting a decent berth in the big dance. Altman's teams are good down the stretch.

That also bodes well for a two sport athlete... when those two sports are football and basketball where there can be some significant overlap in terms of scheduling. It will be unlikely that JTT would make it on the court until after the football season is over, and with Oregon we hope that is at the very earliest beginning of January at best mid January. So a basketball team that can reliably make it to the post-season does increase the possibility of being able to play a meaningful amount of time to make basketball worth it.

Now what we need to watch for is if Alabama offers basketball as well. This might give Oregon an edge right now but Alabama has a pretty good team this year as they won the regular season in the SEC in basketball, though Alabama doesn't have the regular consistency of doing that. Does Alabama give him a basketball offer in order to continue the pursuit or do they just stick with football?

3 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Alabama has a pretty good team

I forgot about that....it is so weird in that they usually do NOT have a good team!

Mr. FishDuck

51 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Does Alabama give him a basketball offer in order to continue the pursuit or do they just stick with football?

My thinking is that Alabama will use whatever it can to their advantage. What Charles brought up is also true of course,  this is an outlier year for Alabama in basketball. Oregon has a much better case for success in basketball and football than does Alabama. 

Edited by 30Duck

This has been an advantage Oregon has had, seeing the potential in each athlete.

With DAT it was seeing he could be an offensive threat, and being willing to guarantee his a chance at RB. SC saw him as a DB, and had plenty of amazing athletes, no time to see his unique talent.

With this, is it Altman seeing a unique talent and thinking about having him for four years? It would also give Altman a talented kid without having to expend a scholarship. I imagine Altman has talked to him, and stated his intent, interest.

I hope he gets a shot at TE if he plays football for us. He could easily go two ways and push for the Heisman if he works hard. That is the angle I would push, if you work hard and are successful, we will promote you until the end.

19 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

I hope he gets a shot at TE if he plays football for us

I see him in a ton of ways at Oregon, including on Special Teams and getting a punt-fake pass, or blocking for field goals, (same concept) and in the backfield blocking as a fullback and on occasion for the big play on a key down...that pass out in the flat as a TE as you stated.  He could be busy for us!

Mr. FishDuck

Perhaps he could take lessons throwing discus in his spare time and also join a great track and field program?! 

6’5”?  280?  Sounds like George Martin, who was an excellent b-ball player for the Ducks.....before he went on to a lengthy NFL career.