Charles Fischer

Good Gosh: Giving a BILLION to Oregon?

Phil and Penny Knight have approached the "B" number...with two institutions?  I know that WSJ article was linked in another thread, but this article below gives us much more information about the impact of these benefactors to so many.

How cool would it be to be able to be so generous, and how lucky we fans of Our Beloved Ducks are!

Phil Knight’s University of Oregon donations push $1 Billion Mark with new Hayward Field Project by OregonLive

Penny and Phil Knight and Pat Kilkinney_ESPN Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

We are VERY fortunate, and I, for one, am very grateful.  I.....and we.....can certainly identify with our fellow Alum’s love for his school.  If I had the resources he does, I would LOVE to do the same thing he’s done!  And.....sad to say....he may actually need to give some of it away——otherwise it would be taken in taxes.  Might as well choose where it goes, if you can!  Thanks, Phil!  Your gifts have improved the UofO waaaaay above and beyond the value of the $$$$$ you spent.  You done Good!

• Thumbs Up 2

A good guide, give away the good fortune we have all made. This doesn't have to be money, we all have much to offer.

Agree PK has had an amazing impact on so many, far and wide. I mean he use to even give money to the athletic department in Seattle, didn't help there, but not much does.

Stanford is his other major academic institution of note, IIRC.

Didn't PK have a Masters of some kind from there?

Hard to believe my first running shoes were bought from him when they (Eugene Off Willamette Street, IIRC.)

Actually the article made reference to a billion given to the Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland.  But yes....he has given a boatload to Stanford as well.

Mr. FishDuck

His MBA, and business plan was written at Stanford, but the dream started at Hayward, and the U of O.