BigDucksFan

Daily article: "Fiesta Bowl GameDay: Winning Hinges on Unusual Questions"

Add your comments for the daily article in this topic. 

Washington had the opportunity to prevent Oregon from taking the Pac-12 North - - but they didn’t take it. They just couldn’t control themselves.

The Clemson’s and Alabama’s don’t seem to have a problem with “not showing up for a game”, why is that ??

As much as coach Mario Cristobal talks about being a dominant physical team, I can’t say I've see the Ducks play that way,

Is Oregon going to “out=tough” or “out-smart the Cyclones ??  That depends on who’s in charge of the offense: Mario Cristobal or Joe Moorhead ??

Will Oregon be allowed to score enough points to win ?? No, its not in Mario Cristobal’s nature to “dominate” like that. Mario is more of the “if you get a 1 point lead then you sit on it” type of guy. He just doesn’t want to play for a full 60 minutes.

It is almost like we have Ernie Kent coaching again. Ernie could recruit and he ran a great program. The kids loved him, graduated and there wasn't any real scandals. The problem was he needed a point guard who would take over the game or his coaching would lose it.

I think the Oregon Football Program is under an Ernie Kent like spell. We need elite qb play or the coaching liability will destroy the talent level of the team. This may not be the perfect explanation for what is going on, but it is my most recent analogy to what is going on today.

So for me it comes down to qb play. Can Shough turn his play around and show the talent he has? Does Moorhead see the struggles Shough is having and put Brown in to lead this talented group of players to victory. This is the only question I have for this game.

Hearing the Huskies whimpering over the Ducks getting their back-back championships has been sweet, hopefully the team, and  Mario remember how they played, and repeat that. Winning back to back NY6 games is fun too. Mario has described the Cyclones as the most physical team the Ducks have seen since he's been here. With that in mind, he has to be getting the Ducks ready to ball out like they never have since he's been here, doesn't it?

The defense showed up against USC, harassing Klovis, picking him off, stopping the running game. But, it's the offense we have questions about, starting with the quarterback. Lately, Tyler Shough hasn't played with the confidence necessary to make the offense dynamic. The Cyclone's defense's biggest vulnerability is downfield passing. Is Shough going to get the ball out to JJ and Redd? Pittman is a big play waiting to happen.  There are definitely a lot of questions going in to this one. 

10 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

The problem was he needed a point guard who would take over the game or his coaching would lose it.

Oh man, Ernie flashback, hearing him from the sideline, "Go!". That was it. 

I suppose the analogy begs the question, can Cristobal move beyond what Ernie brought us? Ernie just couldn't coach his kids up, nor scheme a game plan to win the really big games, against great coaches. Can Cristobal become more than Ernie was, which was an excellent Oregon coach, but a flawed coach.

Kind of looked like Clemson didn’t show up for the game last night. OSU made Clemson look like they didn’t belong in that game. It happens to everyone. Who knows, Alabama may make OSU look like they don’t belong in the title game. It will take another MVP performance from Justin Fields and Trey Sermon to beat Alabama. 

You can be an excellent X’s and O’s guy and be competitive. However, you still need outstanding players to win...if you can’t recruit,...you are doomed. Just ask Chip Kelly. 

Cristobal, even with his coaching faults, has more upside potential than most coaches, no matter what team shows up today. 

18 minutes ago, Drake said:

Kind of looked like Clemson didn’t show up for the game last night. OSU made Clemson look like they didn’t belong in that game. It happens to everyone. Who knows, Alabama may make OSU look like they don’t belong in the title game. It will take another MVP performance from Justin Fields and Trey Sermon to beat Alabama. 

You can be an excellent X’s and O’s guy and be competitive. However, you still need outstanding players to win...if you can’t recruit,...you are doomed. Just ask Chip Kelly. 

Cristobal, even with his coaching faults, has more upside potential than most coaches, no matter what team shows up today. 

I kind of feel Clemson showed up for the game, its just they didn't have what Ohio State has. Which beg's the question: "Does anyone think we could have beaten Ohio State this year if we had played them like we we're sapose to ??"   Ohio State 64, Oregon 0

2 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

It is almost like we have Ernie Kent coaching again. Ernie could recruit and he ran a great program. The kids loved him, graduated and there wasn't any real scandals. The problem was he needed a point guard who would take over the game or his coaching would lose it.

I think the Oregon Football Program is under an Ernie Kent like spell. We need elite qb play or the coaching liability will destroy the talent level of the team. This may not be the perfect explanation for what is going on, but it is my most recent analogy to what is going on today.

So for me it comes down to qb play. Can Shough turn his play around and show the talent he has? Does Moorhead see the struggles Shough is having and put Brown in to lead this talented group of players to victory. This is the only question I have for this game.

You nailed it!  I couldn’t agree more!  Perfect analogy between Cristobal and Kent.  Recruiting is a major part of the job, but that alone doesn’t equal victories.

1 hour ago, Haywarduck said:

I suppose the analogy begs the question, can Cristobal move beyond what Ernie brought us? Ernie just couldn't coach his kids up, nor scheme a game plan to win the really big games, against great coaches. Can Cristobal become more than Ernie was, which was an excellent Oregon coach, but a flawed coach.

I’m glad I read this thread, I was going to make the same analogy. While being thoroughly disgusted with 4th quarter game management, I’m rooting for MC to evolve. I really do like virtually every other aspect he brings as coach.

4 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

I think the Oregon Football Program is under an Ernie Kent like spell.

I like this comparison, but to me ... Ernie would have a good year, then a .500 year, and then a losing year and that is what got him fired. Mario has coaching faults, but not as deep as Ernie, IMHO. What is so frustrating is how all the tools are there, and whether Mario can allow it to happen?

1 hour ago, Jon Joseph said:

Please Charles: "As Mario gradually learns!" I'm sorry, you might as well sit back and await Godot?

Jon...I am not Eeyore; I state the issues, but always am going to look for the bright-side in the end.  It might be ''how I'm spinning it in my mind," such as in this article, or it simply might be that be that he will learn after a few more painful losses.

But I do not give up hope, as I am a devoted Duck fan who wants to cheer it all and ponder the fine points as you and so many do here.

Jordan Happle, Jamal Hill and Kristian Williams_Tom Corno.jpg

This is the kind of run-defense we need today!

Mr. FishDuck

Everything has been covered here pretty well.

The bottom line is: will (or maybe it is can) Cristobal hand the offensive game plan over to Moorhead and say "it's your game from the start to the end to offensively manage"? 

I think we all agree that it boils down to this simple premise. I wish there was some way to know whether or not this has already been happening. Perhaps what we have seen this year is 100% Moorhead, but it sure seems if it were then the game plans would of been similar to what he had done in the past with other teams he coached. 

1 hour ago, Jon Joseph said:

HOPE, when you do not have what you hope for, is a god thing to have. But IMO, evidence and experience trump hope.

BTW, going back to their HS days in AZ, Shough is 0-4 vs Purdy. I HOPE Tyler gets off the Purdy schnid today?

My experience with hope and optimism has been positive. HOPE is wanting something good to happen. Failing on the way to a goal is certainly not uncommon. Using failure as the only evidence that something can’t be done, or evidence that a person is incapable of a task may be somewhat short-sighted. 

Never let failure defeat you. That may be hopeful, or optimistic, but it works for me. I hope something good happens seems like a great attitude when faced with negative reality. 

Game so far --swiss cheese defense

It appears that one team can run straight ahead into the line and succeed.

Can Shough turn it around, not against a guy he was 0-4 against.

This is another telling sign of the recent Oregon recruiting failures. We haven't picked the right guys. Whether it has been the RB's or QB's, we go after the rating services star ratings, rather than ratings and intangibles. Same thing has been happening with our kickers.

We are getting talent, but not the intangibles at key positions on offense. Go back to Tua, where we again didn't see a guy with the 'it' and a drive to bring 'it' to Oregon. We should have fought for that guy!  It is time to adjust our recruiting to better reflect, the it, we are looking for to lead our team.

I remember a buddy talked about how he would test people, put them in tough situations just to see how they performed. To me this was brilliant, don't just look at how they win, hit the perfect play, at the perfect time. Look at how each recruit reacts when things go wrong. We want guys who never give up, problem solve, bring guys together and make them better.

I think that was one of the strengths of the Oregon Program under Brooks, Bellotti and even CK. That trait has trailed off, time to go after that again. My season ending observation, and again, I know I am not completely correct, but that is the feeling I get.

Charles,

You were eerily prescient in your article, in particular asking "what team" will show up. 

Happy New Year...

Bill from down the hall. 

Well, that was a question that everyone has been asking, and the real off-putting aspect is how it is a question that should be asked at all of our coaches.  Whew!

Mr. FishDuck