Steven A

WOW, WOW, WOW . . .USC Athletic Director Resigns

Kind of abrupt.

WOW! A Midwest guy who came to SC from Cincinnati and likely had a major influence on SC moving to the B1G.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, Steven A said:

Almost a year too late!

Agree, too bad this didn't happen before decisions were made to move USC to the Big 10

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, Steven A said:

WWW.MSN.COM

The LA Times broke the news on Friday

Almost a year too late!

Good health is a blessing. Best of luck to the gentleman.

• Applause 1

Kirk, great post.

Stewart Mandel has an article up on The Athletic (paywall) that confirms that Bohn's resignation is due to far more than health issues.

Another black eye for the Trojans athletic department. Folt best not hire a USC ex-jock to steer it into B1G country. 

IMO, the problems start at the top, Folt, and on down. 

It still fries me that Folt led the charge to kill expansion into the Central time zone and take the B12 off of the Power 5 chessboard. Possibly when she was playing footsie with the B1G and Fox. 

I am admitted to practice law in California (retired/inactive) but if she was in discussion to move to the B1G and failed to disclose this it is a breach of fiduciary duty and violative of a number of California's anti-fraud statutes.

But it is academia and fans have no standing to bring suit so unfortunately the possibly egregious conduct will go undiscovered and unpunished.

• Wow 1

John is collusion legal in college sports and if it is not can the pack schools left sue the 2 LA schools for collusion and leaving the pack?

Is it the same as price fixing, which is illegal but done every day?

On 5/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, Just Ducky said:

John is collusion legal in college sports and if it is not can the pack schools left sue the 2 LA schools for collusion and leaving the pack?

Is it the same as price fixing, which is illegal but done every day?

It's likely violative of a number of laws and regulations but who in the world of college football has 'clean hands' and/or the desire to litigate?

Today's president at Oregon is tomorrow's president at Northwestern.

We are focused on college sports but this is really a small part of every university's budget.

According to a front page story in today’s LA Times, Bohn got fired because he is creepy.

Condescending to women, handsy, disrespectful and made inappropriate comments about their weight, hair and the way they dressed.

Any of the above would have been grounds for termination, but according to the Times several people in the athletic department raised concerns about his management of the department. He reportedly missed meetings he was expected to attend and was often absent from key events, including USC national championship victories. (Huh ?)

Two former USC coaches told the Times that Bohn’s leadership of the department was a primary reason they left.

Even at Cincinnati he was a creep, according to the school’s head trainer Robb Williams, who told theTimes that he saw Bohn make unwanted physical contact with women on several occasions. Another staffer said Bohn’s interaction with women made her skin crawl.

Makes you wonder how much vetting USC actually did before they hired this guy….. 

Carol Folt was the ultimate decision maker.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gotta love this article.

" ... a slimy scandal slithering through LA."

And Kevin Warren called out as the backstabber that he is.

Doesn't get much better than this.

FANSIDED.COM

Mike Bohn shockingly resigned as the athletic director of the USC Trojans on Friday afternoon. The most successful USC athletic director in quite some time...

Julio Cesar Rome GIF by Luis Ricardo

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Report: USC launched investigation into Mike Bohn, workplace environment prior to resignation

More details have come to light about USC athletic director Mike Bohn’s resignation on Friday. There has been “internal criticism of his management of the athletics department,” the Los Angeles Times’ Ryan Kartje reported.

• Mic drop 1

Lincoln Riley releases statement on USC AD Mike Bohn's resignation

Some major news dropped Friday afternoon when the Los Angeles Times first reported Mike Bohn would resign as USC athletic director, effective immediately. One of Bohn’s biggest hires in Southern California was football coach Lincoln Riley, who tweeted a statement Saturday in response to his resignation.

“I will always be appreciative of Mike Bohn for his role in bringing us to USC & certainly wish both he and his family all the best,” Riley tweeted. “With the current state of the programs in our Athletic Department, there is a really special opportunity ahead for all of us Trojans. I have full confidence that our university leadership will continue to do everything possible to support us. I truly believe that the best days of USC Athletics are right in front of us and I continue to be totally invested & excited to be a part of it. Lets stick together and always Fight On.”

WWW.ON3.COM

USC head coach Lincoln Riley has released a statement in wake of athletic director Mike Bohn's decision to resign, effective immediately.

I don't think having a different AD in place would have changed the outcome of USC to the B1G.  College athletic powers are consolidating.  This is bigger than any one person.   

IMO USC would be smart to have a former B1G person as their next AD.  Someone who can help bridge the Trojans into the conference, similar to what UCLA has with Martin Jarmond and his roots at Ohio State.

Creep or not, Bohn did have a significant impact on the Trojan athletic department in his short tenure.  

• Thumbs Up 2

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Yet another USC athletic director has come and gone, only this time, nepotism did not do the Trojans in. Narcissism did. Now how does the school respond?

Bohn led SC to the B1G? I at least somewhat disagree. Fox led SC and UCLA to the B1G as payback for ESPN leading the poaching of OK and TX.

Without Fox's money, the 2 LA schools are going nowhere. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, NJDuck said:

Lincoln Riley releases statement on USC AD Mike Bohn's resignation

Some major news dropped Friday afternoon when the Los Angeles Times first reported Mike Bohn would resign as USC athletic director, effective immediately. One of Bohn’s biggest hires in Southern California was football coach Lincoln Riley, who tweeted a statement Saturday in response to his resignation.

“I will always be appreciative of Mike Bohn for his role in bringing us to USC & certainly wish both he and his family all the best,” Riley tweeted. “With the current state of the programs in our Athletic Department, there is a really special opportunity ahead for all of us Trojans. I have full confidence that our university leadership will continue to do everything possible to support us. I truly believe that the best days of USC Athletics are right in front of us and I continue to be totally invested & excited to be a part of it. Lets stick together and always Fight On.”

WWW.ON3.COM

USC head coach Lincoln Riley has released a statement in wake of athletic director Mike Bohn's decision to resign, effective immediately.

Great post but what a vapid article. Riley is going to walk from $10M per annum because Bohn was fired. Come On Man!

• Thumbs Up 2