Rufus

Nebraska President - More B1G Expansion Coming

If the BIG gets big enough, then eventually it may break into two conferences, because there will be so many teams that half of them will never play the other half! 😉 😄

• Haha 1

The article only talked about ACC teams going to the B1G, FYI. So, not a good article to read as an Oregone to the B1G fan.

On 5/20/2023 at 7:33 PM, 2002duck said:

The article only talked about ACC teams going to the B1G, FYI. So, not a good article to read as an Oregone to the B1G fan.

Well... It might push those LA teams to leave at some point if they have to play even more games on the east coast. 

Or the la teams beg for otherwise coast teams to join because they can't take the travel costs. 

Either way, I'd love to watch the groveling.

• Go Ducks! 1

The Nebraska President mentioned the possibility of taking up to four more PAC 12 schools. 

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

University of Nebraska president Ted Carter believes more Big Ten expansion is coming. Will the B1G add Oregon...

Perhaps the B1G powers-that-be should get into the same room? This is completely counter to the recent take by the Illinois president who said that at this time the B1G is staying as-is. 

These B1G wigs can say whatever they like but if Fox (and/or junior media partners CBS and NBC or a streaming source) do not step up with the money all of this is meaningless. 

The B1G and the SEC have lots of other people's money. They do not own a printing press pumping out B1G Bucks or SEC Shekels.

• Haha 1

With so much going on about conferences possibly collapsing, ESPN looking into all streaming, continual chord cutting across the nation, I think staying put and signing a short media deal might be the smartest move. At this point I could see some sort of ESPN/ Amazon partnership develop that absorbs the Pac12 Network. With new frontiers in media delivery on the horizon maybe new types of media contracts develop as well.

What if individual schools just started taking in revenue per game based on viewership results? If things headed into that direction, it wouldn't matter what conference the Ducks were in and income per school would be based on value per school. This model would seem to make the most sense for all parties involved. For example, instead of giving every school in the B10 $80M a year maybe tOSU earns $100M while Purdue only earns $20M. It seems like the media outlets could simply funnel the money toward the real money makers and not waste it on the bottom feeders.

It seems like some sort of reality adjustment will have to happen sooner or later. I don't the the B10 wants to become the B30. I also don't think schools like UO or FSU want to have to start flying all over the country just to make a buck. In the end this delay in a media deal may be a good thing as it seems the winds of change are blowing all over the place at the moment.

Some times the best move is just staying still and avoiding the wrong move.

• Great post! 1

The B1G 20?

Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington

Illinois, Ohio State, Northwestern, Purdue

Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers

Maryland, North Carolina, Penn State, Virginia

In addition to pods, rivalry games outside of pods, Ohio State versus Michigan for example, would be protected.

big will ferrell GIF

On 5/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

With so much going on about conferences possibly collapsing, ESPN looking into all streaming, continual chord cutting across the nation, I think staying put and signing a short media deal might be the smartest move. At this point I could see some sort of ESPN/ Amazon partnership develop that absorbs the Pac12 Network. With new frontiers in media delivery on the horizon maybe new types of media contracts develop as well.

What if individual schools just started taking in revenue per game based on viewership results? If things headed into that direction, it wouldn't matter what conference the Ducks were in and income per school would be based on value per school. This model would seem to make the most sense for all parties involved. For example, instead of giving every school in the B10 $80M a year maybe tOSU earns $100M while Purdue only earns $20M. It seems like the media outlets could simply funnel the money toward the real money makers and not waste it on the bottom feeders.

It seems like some sort of reality adjustment will have to happen sooner or later. I don't the the B10 wants to become the B30. I also don't think schools like UO or FSU want to have to start flying all over the country just to make a buck. In the end this delay in a media deal may be a good thing as it seems the winds of change are blowing all over the place at the moment.

Good thoughts. The problem? Stay in the Pac-10 and fall $30M plus a year behind the B1G and SEC in media income? 

Size goes to size in B1G business and I think, unfortunately, further college football consolidation is inevitable.

IMO, if the B1G/Fox comes with somewhere around $40M to $50M a year for Oregon the Ducks should move to the B1G. Being covered by the B1G network would be a B1G deal.

And there would be far more eyeballs watching Oregon play B1G teams than will be watching Oregon playing the majority of Pac-10 games. Adding San Diego State and SMU or other G5 teams will not change this calculus.

Caveat. The right streaming deal with the right streaming partner could in the long run be very beneficial media money-wise for Oregon and the Pac-10. But this would be the bird in the bush risk instead of one of the Power 2 birds in hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Jon. Always love your takes. You seem far more knowledgeable in the business world than I and I acknowledge that I'm talking way outside the box on this one. What I'm envisioning is a couple different new approaches combining to create a completely different approach to media deals all together. Since the Pac happens to be the last conference up to bat, it may be the benefactor of being the guinea pig for this new approach.

First, since ESPN is exploring going streaming only, might it not make sense to partner up with Amazon? Amazon has a far wider reach not only in the US but the entire world than ESPN will ever have. In turn, ESPN already has the broadcast infrastructure that would take Amazon years to develop on their own. It seems to me that a partnership between the two would launch them both to the front by far in the world of sports streaming.

Next I'm also talking about a new type of media contract that rewards the schools involved based on viewership numbers as opposed to fixed numbers simply due to being associated with a specific conference. I don't think anybody would mind giving a huge national brand like UO a sizable payout for top level viewership. I just don't think they would want to be anchored to committing large wads of cash to WSU vs Stanford. Also the fallacy of the tiny UO media market vs the huge bay area market for Cal or the LA market for UCLA would be exposed.

I see uncharted waters on the media horizon and companies wanting better assurance for the bang for the buck ratio moving forward. Just some thoughts while we count down the days to September.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Kamikazi, great take. 

If the Pac-10 doesn't put at least 50% of its inventory on the streaming Come line, I will50% of its inventory on the streaming Come line I am going to be upset.

Risky? Yes but now is the time when a risk IMO is well justified.

On 5/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Parity does increase viewership. 

No one really wants to watch blow outs regularly. Equal pay and rules helps make better viewing for fans.

The TV companies are missing that college sports are followed by regional interests. This attempt at national expansion won't pay off IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 1