Charles Fischer

Root for the Conference, or Against Washington?

I see that at the end of the 3rd inning in the Seattle Regional Softball final, McNeese State has a 1-0 lead on Washington, which brought a hoot/snort from me.  I want Pac-12 teams to show well, but you have to admit--it would be pretty funny!

Shouldn't I be honorable and root for the conference?

giphy.gif

I never said I was noble...

Mr. FishDuck

Social media stunned after No. 2 UCLA eliminated from NCAA softball tournament

Upsets happen all the time in the NCAA tournament. Whether it’s basketball, baseball, or lacrosse we see Davids beat Goliaths all the time in collegiate postseason play.

However, what we don’t see all the time is the No. 2 seed in the tournament not making it out of the opening weekend, especially in a double-elimination format.

But that’s what happened to the No. 2 UCLA Bruins this weekend. After losing to Grand Canyon on Friday night, the Bruins were upset by the Liberty Flames on Saturday in a stunning 2-1 loss.

The last time UCLA was eliminated from the regional round of the tournament was back in 2013. That was the third season in a row in which they failed to qualify for the super regional.

The stunning upset opens the door for San Diego State to advance if they can beat Liberty in the regional finals on Sunday. The winner would then face the winner of the Salt Lake City regional between Utah and Ole Miss.

Social media was buzzing Saturday evening at the elimination of the UCLA Bruins and here are some of the best reactions.

SOONERSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Social media reacts to the stunning elimination of the No. 2 UCLA Bruins from the NCAA Softball tournament.

• Wow 1

I have to be completely honest, I know this might even upset others, but I typically root for the conference almost always, I'm so tired of seeing other conferences dominate in sports over ours.  I hate how our conference doesn't win many titles in the sports that matter, I don't care if Stanford wins for the 20th or so time in sailing, or how the conference is in lacrosse, give me football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball wins.

It depends on the team, I don't know a thing about the UW softball team so I wouldn't mind seeing them win, I don't think I would actively root for them.  Now if I was to talk about UW against Bama in the playoff after they taunted us and had a coach like Peterson who encouraged cheap shots against our QB to get him out of the game, then it's another matter. 

Now would I laugh if I saw UW lose as a complete favorite... sure, so I guess in the end it sort of evens out for me. 

I should provide a caveat, I don't consider UCLA or USC as part of conference for this year or next, they're traitors, and USC especially can can go to... well I won't finish that.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 2

Back in 70's, my wife at that time and myself attended the Apple Cup games in Seattle. Born and raised in Spokane, we were Cougar fans.

Attending a late November game in Seattle was never fun. Usually, very wet, very windy and plain miserable.

The Cougar seating block section was in the the lowest level, southeast corner. Even on a sunny day (very rare) the sun never touched that section.

We decided to get to the stadium early, grab some food, drink and snacks and head to our seats. This was about 3 hours before kick off.

As we came out of the concourse tunnel we were met by attendents asking for tickets. We checked out okay but told we couldnt go to our seats for about an hour . ...

Why?

Other staff members we watering down the Cougar section concrete seats with water. Creating a sheet of ice to stand or sit on for hours.

It was miserable to say the least.

So to answer your question, i will never root for the huskies. They are not a bitter rival, they are a hated enemy. They stand for nothing except to lift a leg.

I hope SDSU and SMU become fietce competitors and bitter rivals. Much better place to take in an away game.

I will root for any team who plays against the huskies. They are despicable.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's official; McNeese won that game, but a final game is being played at 5:30 PM PDT with the winner moving to the Super-Regionals.

Congrats to Utah winning, and it appears that Oklahoma State has won and Oregon will play there next weekend.

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/21/2023 at 3:37 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Well said Happy. Tip of the cap to you my friend. 

To answer your question Charles, no it's never OK or acceptable to cheer for the JV school up North. Ever. We all have our stories like Happy about the Fuskies and their "fans".

BTW, love your posts about them whining about recruiting. Keep it coming!

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, spartan2785 said:

I have to be completely honest, I know this might even upset others, but I typically root for the conference almost always,

It may be apostasy to some Oregon fans, but having bounced to different locations in the PAC and UC system for my education (Cal to UCSF to UCD to Arizona), then Oregon for my career and kids' education, I'm a PAC/west coast homer..

So when I root, it's:

OREGON!!!

Then:

Cal, OSU, Stanfurd (wife's alma mater)

Then:

The rest of the PAC, and even UCLA (for another year). And heaven help me, the cur leg lifters when the pride of the conference is on the line and there is no alternative

Maybe once or twice several years ago, but never again:

U$C

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/21/2023 at 2:13 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Shouldn't I be honorable and root for the conference?

REALLY, is that even in your thought process when it is ewe dub?

If so, I prescribe two lobotomies and see me in the morning.

• Haha 1

Root against the perpil pooch mutts always