1Funduck

Oregon is Moving Up the Recruiting Rankings

In the latest recruiting rankings, Oregon has risen to #5. But, looking closer, this ranking is skewed. In my opinion, looking at the individual player grade is more accurate. Having 39 recruits but all 3* is NOT better than having 25 players all 4/5*.  Quantity is NOT better than quality.

Oregon has vaulted in both categories and its been enjoyable to watch. If we are to grade Oregon on player grade outs, then Oregon sits at #9. It doesn't matter how many kids but the quality of kid coming in. Take the quantity number and throw it in the trash can when it comes to rankings in the recruiting wars. For example: U$C sits at 91.59 but that's an average between having 2-4* and 1-3*. Or in other words 2-1 ratio. But, U$C only has 3 recruits. Not tearing up the recruiting season are they. The underlying current tells a below the surface story for Oregon though.

Oregon, in no way possible, should be sitting with 14 commits and ranked with a 91.20 average player score...in MAY!!!! Yeah!! MAY!!!

What is this telling me? IMO, Oregon is about to close on 2-4 5*players and finish the 2024 recruiting season with the rest being 4*'s. Sure, a 3* player or two may come in this year as well, but Oregon sure looks like a team that is going to grade out higher than 91.20 for the year.

14 now with 10 or so to go. Get 2 - 5*, 15 - 4*, and 4 - 3*, and this looks like an average 'Bama year in recruiting. Just sayin'

I predict somewhere around 93 grade for the finish of the 2024 recruiting season.

Edited by 1Funduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

Oregon football is having a really strong month and landing its fourth commitment on Monday which will move the Ducks into the top five of 247 team ranking...

On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine: Oregon leading with a handful of major targets

T.CO

Oregon holds the No. 8 class in the On3 Industry Football Team Recruiting Rankings, and the Ducks are trending for more top targets.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:10 AM, 1Funduck said:

Quantity is NOT better than quality.

Agreed.  That is why my own subjective way of looking at it is...."how many 4/5-Star recruits on Rivals are there in the class?"  Whether it is 15 out of 30, or 15 out of 20....I look at the number of quality recruits.

Years ago Stanford had a class that only had 15 commits, and it was given a so-so ranking due to the low number.  But it was high quality, and many went on to NFL careers and that group gave Oregon trouble.

Right now Oregon has 14 verbals, but NINE are the 4/5-Star recruits. We are headed to a very good class!

JT_DSC_0557.JPG

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dan. has the first part down. You have to bring in big-time recruits.

As I have mentioned before, no school without a Blue Chip Roster (BCR) won a BCS title and to date, no team without a BCR has won a playoff title. 

BCR = at least 50% of the roster being made up of 4* and 5* recruits.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Will Dan Lanning bring a national championship to Oregon? According to 247Sports, he isn’t far away.

I've got this weird feeling that Oregon just might get more than 2 5* kids this year. The vibe with all these kids is incredible. 

I say 'weird' because this is uncharted territory. This highly graded, so early in the year, recruiting class, with a powerful lineup to finish even stronger than what we have on board right now!!! 91.20 average ranking is nothing to sneeze at. Its already a Blue chip laden class. Just Wow!!

• Let’s hope! 1

On 5/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, 1Funduck said:

I've got this weird feeling that Oregon just might get more than 2 5* kids this year. The vibe with all these kids is incredible. 

I say 'weird' because this is uncharted territory. This highly graded, so early in the year, recruiting class, with a powerful lineup to finish even stronger than what we have on board right now!!! 91.20 average ranking is nothing to sneeze at. Its already a Blue chip laden class. Just Wow!!

A lot of this depends on the site doing the rankings. 

I like that Charles uses Rivals but Rivals is often a tougher grader than the 247 composite rankings.

Of course, at the end of the day, all of the highly-ranked kids arrive with potential and they have to be coached up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I like that Charles uses Rivals but Rivals is often a tougher grader than the 247 composite rankings.

Thank you, and another major element is the historical consistency of the rankings.  With Rivals...I can compare to prior classes and know there is consistency.  ESPN does not have it down even now, and 247 bought their historical stats from Scout.com, whom was owned by a Husky.  Oregon verbals consistently got downgraded once they committed to Oregon under that group rankings.  

247 has good rankings now, although easier to get to 4/5-Star than Rivals, but often the team rankings come out very similar at the end the year between 247 and Rivals.  It is just that for my subjective analysis of recruiting classes...I need to know how many 4/5-Star players there are in this class, and when looking back in Oregon's recruiting history to compare prior classes--I know those numbers are not skewed by a damn Husky.  Thus why I use Rivals...

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Whatever happened to poor Ruth?