kirklandduck

Vaunted BiG-10 Media Deal Not Finalized? Uuuuuuuh....

First reported by Pete Thamel at ESPN but I like Josh Pate's take on it.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Abso-flippin-lutely hilarious!

I wonder how many others were aware of this situation?

Popcorn! Getcha popcorn heya!

• Mic drop 1

The media deal was supposed to go into effect on July 1st. Wow.

Here is the article Pate was referring to:

How an unfinished TV deal led to an unexpectedly hectic first month for the new Big Ten commissioner

WWW.ESPN.COM

New Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti has been sprinting to finish his league's massive TV deal -- and key athletic directors and coaches aren't happy with the details.

If you look at what isn’t finalized, it’s nitty gritty things. No reason it wouldn’t be finalized by July 1. A lot of it is silly things - going against no night games in November.   I saw where that issue was resolved. Not sure why it was such a big deal as high schools in the Midwest play night games in November.  

It was reported back in 2020 that the B1G would have to pay back money for weeks the B1G did not play during the 2020 Covid shortened season.  The B1G played more games that season than the PAC 12 did, so I’m wondering how much the PAC owes its media partners for not playing a full season that year?  Has it been paid back yet?  

Then you have butt-hurt basketball coaches having some basketball games only available via streaming.  If you are a top performing basketball program, I’m sure the game will be on linear tv.  

Now what is a serious mistake was Warren promising a B1G Championship Game to NBC that FOX already had rights to. It will be interesting to see how that is worked out, but I’m sure it will be. 

Having said all that, now we have a broader understanding as to the animosity B1G leaders had toward Kevin Warren. He went against the unspoken B1G rule of gathering consensus before acting.   His style seems to be the “what I say goes” style and the B1G is a traditionally collaborative and consensus building conference.  

Wouldn't it be something if the conference has to renegotiate a contract thereby leading them to pay the schools a lot less. Because of this, it causes USC and UCLA to reconsider leaving the PAC.

• Haha 3

On 5/22/2023 at 3:58 PM, BigDog said:

Wouldn't it be something if the conference has to renegotiate a contract thereby leading them to pay the schools a lot less. Because of this, it causes USC and UCLA to reconsider leaving the PAC.

That ship has sailed.  

Josh explains it MUCH better, and much more entertaining than any of the articles.  Wow.  It is much worse than I thought!

They won't be discussing adding teams anytime soon.

Did it!  Not...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Perhaps all these "minor" details sheds some light on why the Pac12 media deal is taking so long.

I hope that means George is making sure it's all worked out correctly. 

My understanding is that the distribution went down from mid-70’s to mid-60’s. Already a substantial decrease. 

On 5/22/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rufus said:

That ship has sailed.  

Sirius radio today reported that the B1G deal is at least $5M short of the anticipated number of $70M a year. 

• Yikes! 1

No matter what the B1G media rights deal is, USC and UCLA are not coming back to the PAC 12.

1.  USC and UCLA joined the B1G *before* the media rights deal was finalized.  

2.  USC and UCLA signed away their media rights to the B1G for the duration of the next B1G media rights contract.   There would be litigation if either school tried to back out.  But why would they even think of backing out?  They are in the promised land that we can only hope to be in soon.  They don't have to worry about not being part of the national conversation because no one is watching their games.  Outside of sports, the academic and research benefits of the B1G go without saying.  

This is such a disaster for the Ducks. 

On 5/22/2023 at 6:42 PM, Rufus said:

No matter what the B1G media rights deal is, USC and UCLA are not coming back to the PAC 12.

1.  USC and UCLA joined the B1G *before* the media rights deal was finalized.  

2.  USC and UCLA signed away their media rights to the B1G for the duration of the next B1G media rights contract.   There would be litigation if either school tried to back out.  But why would they even think of backing out?  They are in the promised land that we can only hope to be in soon.  They don't have to worry about not being part of the national conversation because no one is watching their games.  Outside of sports, the academic and research benefits of the B1G go without saying.  

New Brunswick, New Jersey is the promised land? Maybe for Tony Soprano.

Kidding. Great comment.

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2023 at 7:24 PM, 2002duck said:

This is such a disaster for the Ducks. 

It ain't over before the fat (and these days not so fat) media companies sing. 

It took the B1G 9 months to do its deal and apparently, the deal isn't done yet. 

Don't count your chickens. Kevin Warren is a lying backstabber who did not leave the B1G in the financial shape he promised the conference.

And not only are there money issues, but there are also issues regarding how junior members CBS and NBC will fit in.

The B1G has no streaming broadcast partner. Considering the direction in which sports media is headed, this is a mistake that I don't believe the Pac-10 will make.

$5M short? Does the problem stop at $5M? Even at $5M, there goes a big chunk of the Trojans and Bruins travel budgets. And also perhaps the amount the Bruins will be required to pay in 'CAL tax' payments.

$5M pays for a lot of private air travel.

If one or both SC and UCLA were to decide to stay in the Pac I very much doubt they would be held liable. The B1G conference misrepresented the dollar amount. That's fraud in the inducement.

Many UCLA fans, see Bill Walton, are not happy about the move. And also several SC fans. Yes, the money is nice but how does Traveler deal with not being the lead pony?  That would be the horses out of Ann Arbor and Columbus.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, Rufus said:

That ship has sailed.  

I agree but it's interesting to think about it...

On 5/22/2023 at 11:36 PM, BigDog said:

I agree but it's interesting to think about it...

The ship is at the dock still awaiting its cargo. 

Keep the baby Faith. 

And don't throw the baby out with the bath water...

• Thumbs Up 1

They have a HUGE mess to untangle in the B1G right now, and slicing their pie further to invite new teams?  I don't see it...

While it is a bizarre thought...this could give us some closure about the "going to the B1G" anytime soon.  We will have to live with the 5-6 year media deal arrived at, and address options later with the B1G as Jon has written about.

Oregon will survive and prosper; Dan will have us winning no matter what conference we are in.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

With the ACC looking to self implode and get gobbled by the Big and SEC, I see a Pac/ B12 merger on the horizon which may be the best solution in the long run. I don't like the thought of 20+ school conferences but I do think that regional rivalries will always be the heart of college sports.

Res Ipsa Loquitur - This scathing article on Kevin Warren's performance as the B1G commissioner speaks for itself.  

Larry's twin brother separated at birth? How do the consultants who recommended guys like Warren, Larry, and Mike Bohn escape litigation for gross negligence?

Why do conferences and teams hire consultants when ADs are being paid very good money?

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Kevin Warren's parting gift to the Big Ten is a media rights contract that won't be worth as much as initially reported -- thanks to Warren.

This article adds proof to what we already know. Media rules the CFB roost so Michigan State fans are inconvenienced and Sparty's 7th home game goes away.

And this also is evidence that the new B1G media deal was not finalized when Kevin (Backstabber) Warren left town. The devil is in the details.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The conference announced the decision on Wednesday, which ESPN's Pete Thamel described as being "part of the 'horse trading' with NBC and the Big Ten."

I’m curious as to why NBC wanted the PSU @ MSU game played at Ford Field rather than at MSU?  

Will that really have an impact on ratings for the game?  

I always assumed the money gained from neutral sight games came from ticket sales, not tv viewership.  

On 5/23/2023 at 1:13 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

With the ACC looking to self implode and get gobbled by the Big and SEC, I see a Pac/ B12 merger on the horizon which may be the best solution in the long run. I don't like the thought of 20+ school conferences but I do think that regional rivalries will always be the heart of college sports.

Good thought but I don't see such a merger bringing in more money to the Pac-10 bottom line. 

Of course, I could change my opinion depending on what the Pac-10 media deal looks like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh ya, Let them burn !

I don’t think Stanford and Cal will be a part of a PAC12 Big12 merger.  I could see them going independent in this scenario if the B1G doesn’t want them. 

On 5/26/2023 at 12:06 PM, Rufus said:

I’m curious as to why NBC wanted the PSU @ MSU game played at Ford Field rather than at MSU?  

Will that really have an impact on ratings for the game?  

I always assumed the money gained from neutral sight games came from ticket sales, not tv viewership.  

I agree. Ford Field is not that much larger if larger at all, than the field in E Lansing where I have attended a game. Sparty Stadium is not the Big House but it holds near to 80,000 and is a fun place to watch a game.

I can think of only 2 reasons why NBC wanted the change. Weather concerns or the fact the Lions stadium is better set up for broadcasts and NBC has broadcast games from here before.

But if the person with the pocketbook wants anything to happen it most often will happen.

On 5/27/2023 at 9:59 AM, Rufus said:

I don’t think Stanford and Cal will be a part of a PAC12 Big12 merger.  I could see them going independent in this scenario if the B1G doesn’t want them. 

I don't think these two would agree to any kind of merger with K Strate, OK State, etc. The only way the Pac/Big12 merge is out of absolute desperation. 

Oregon has far more eyes on the prize than any B12 team. UW makes the viewership numbers in the Seattle market meaningful. Not the case so much with TCU in Dallas where it is a distant third place behind Texas and A+M. This will be the same for Houston in the Houston market.

Where is the bottom line win for Oregon in such a merger?

It would have been one thing to pick up B12 orphans on the cheap but a 'merger of equals' will not serve Oregon's best interests.

• Applause 1