Charles Fischer

Federal Government Looking to Regulate NIL? Good!

Just the beginning, but the it is a beginning!

"Ban "pay-for-play" by prohibiting boosters, collectives and other third parties from "offering inducements to attend or transfer" to specific institutions." 

Click on article in the tweet from our good friend of the Pac-12...

Mr. FishDuck

Since we're on the subject of NIL, thought I will add this as well.  I agree, guidelines need to be created.

Why college football is entering a 'golden age' with NIL deals

Ask college football fans about their thoughts on name, image and likeness (NIL) in collegiate athletics, and you will likely get a mixed bag of responses.

Some are in favor of it, some are against it, and others — like FOX Sports college football analyst Joel Klatt — believe its both great that college athletes are able to capitalize on it, but acknowledge that there are still plenty of issues to work out.

"NIL has created a golden age of college football and I believe we are at the dawn of that golden age," Klatt said on a recent episode of his podcast, "The Joel Klatt Show." "College football has never been better."

Klatt's reasoning for calling this the "golden age" is due to the depth of talent in the sport. Athletes being able to capitalize on NIL has created an incentive for top-notch players to return to college as opposed to making an early jump to the NFL.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt explains why name, image and likeness has created a golden age of college football due to the depth of talent in the sport.

I just about choked on the thought of this being a "golden age" due to NIL, and then I remembered that Bo Nix would probably not be returning for one more year unless there was the 1.5 million...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/23/2023 at 7:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I just about choked on the thought of this being a "golden age" due to NIL, and then I remembered that Bo Nix would probably not be returning for one more year unless there was the 1.5 million...

In general, I think no one's time is worth 1.5 million dollars per year. AND, I love watching Bo Nix play. I guess I just need to keep learning how to become more comfortable with change and absurdity, given that I don't have control over any of it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

This guy Klatt is an idiot in my opinion.  It is not the Golden age of collegiate football.  NIL and the portal policies are destroying college sports.  if congress can legal put controls in it will save collegiate sports as we know them, otherwise in the not to distant future collegiate football will shrink down to around 40 teams.  Who will be damaged the most with almost 100 teams dropping football because of the loss of TV income and much more, your going to see around 8500 scholarships disappear and most of those losing out will be minorities.

• Applause 1

On 5/23/2023 at 4:42 PM, mrspenney said:

This guy Klatt is an idiot in my opinion.  It is not the Golden age of collegiate football.  NIL and the portal policies are destroying college sports.  if congress can legal put controls in it will save collegiate sports as we know them, otherwise in the not to distant future collegiate football will shrink down to around 40 teams.  Who will be damaged the most with almost 100 teams dropping football because of the loss of TV income and much more, your going to see around 8500 scholarships disappear and most of those losing out will be minorities.

Indeed, Klatt and his statements are head shaking and mind numbing.  I agree with all you say mrspenney, but with one exception.  Congress has a deep record of putting in controls that not only save nothing, but they also make matters worse.  I suppose it's 'possible' that they save collegiate sports.  Even a blind squirrel ..........

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In college football today is any thought given to academics?

It appears that portal players face very little scrutiny when it comes to picking a new school. Has Oregon ever not accepted a transfer it really wanted because of grades? Has any other school? Well, maybe Stanford.

If players are being paid to play they are not amateurs. What are they?

And don’t get me started on the term Student Athlete.

College football is a mess right now.

Golden Age is laughable.

• Thumbs Up 4

NCAA president Charlie Baker is trying but I guess that he will get no relief from Congress. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2023 at 7:42 PM, mrspenney said:

And the NLRB piling on does not help. Can't these people understand that they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater and that the people who will suffer the most from these are people of color and females?

There is just no way IMO that a number of schools granting athletic scholarships today will continue to do so if athletes are found to be employees. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"The Fairness Accountability and Integrity in Representation of College Sports Act (FAIR College Sports Act) would preempt all existing and future state NIL laws, a limitation currently being sought for Congress to address by the NCAA."

Ha. So the bill is dead on arrival. Got it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, DUCKED said:

It appears that portal players face very little scrutiny when it comes to picking a new school. Has Oregon ever not accepted a transfer it really wanted because of grades? Has any other school? Well, maybe Stanford.

Golden Age is laughable.

CU changed its policy on transfer credits to enable Deion to raid the portal. 

But even Stanford does not have the same admissions standards for quality athletes.

I know this because a former Stanford golf coach, Wally Goodwin, explained to me that he had close to carte blanche in taking in 2 golfers a year. These guys were not dummies but they did not have the grades and board scores of most applicants admitted to Stanford.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2023 at 9:42 PM, 2002duck said:

"The Fairness Accountability and Integrity in Representation of College Sports Act (FAIR College Sports Act) would preempt all existing and future state NIL laws, a limitation currently being sought for Congress to address by the NCAA."

Ha. So the bill is dead on arrival. Got it.

Based on the comments from many members of Congress I agree with your forecast.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:42 PM, mrspenney said:

Mrs. P, I agree with you 100% in regard to Klatt. He is a front man for Fox so he is going to espouse the company line.

On 5/23/2023 at 7:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It's a golden age for Bo and other "student-athletes" but not for college athletics as a whole.

However, I have no beef with college athletes' right to own and market their NIL. The NFL has a team salary cap but no cap on what a player can make off of his NIL.

On 5/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, DUCKED said:

Golden Age is laughable.

I know of one football player who had no trouble transferring from an SEC school to an ACC school, but then had trouble at the new school because they wouldn't accept many of the credits he had earned at the SEC school. Ended up in D2 to remain eligible. 

• Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 5/23/2023 at 11:11 PM, OhioDuck said:

I know of one football player who had no trouble transferring from an SEC school to an ACC school, but then had trouble at the new school because they wouldn't accept many of the credits he had earned at the SEC school. Ended up in D2 to remain eligible. 

I'm guessing that the young man was not trying to transfer to Clemson, FSU, NC State, or VA Tech?