Charles Fischer

COVID Concerns: Should Oregon BOW-OUT of the Pac-12 Tournament?

There are some local radio guys bringing this up along with the scuttlebutt on Twitter; a number of big-name teams are out of their conference tourney and the NCAAs due to COVID transmission such as Duke, Virginia and Kansas.  The thinking goes is that many think Oregon is now a No. 6 seed and you may not want to try to slide up.  Keep your health and go home?

I do see the other side of it; regardless of the NCAAs....you like to win the Conference tournament championship to stick-it to the other league members.  And there is payback as USC did kick our butt recently, and the darn Buffalos have our number in their house--how about at Las Vegas?

Also....they said that both OSU and Oregon have been tested and are fine for tonight's contest.  I see value in both sides of this...

Brooks FP (2).jpg

What would Dillon say?

Mr. FishDuck

The conference tournaments may actually be SAFER than the normal season. The teams are all cloistered in hotels and practice facilities where everyone is frequently tested. 

Where covid creeps in is when players leave their bubble so being home is more problematic. 

In the same vein the big tournament itself is probably safe ONCE everyone is tested and then isolated in the bubble... Which is easier to do when the stakes are so high. 

If your program follows the procedures and the culture enforces those rules then the tournaments should be pretty safe. 

I guess they should have bowed out.

For all intents and purposes they did "bow-out"

I think this was a great result, now they can think back to their last game where they failed to show up when they enter the NCAAs

• Thumbs Up 1

Moot point.  The men took care of the bowing out themselves...

Both the men's and women's basketball teams this year really seem to lack the fire when they are behind. They don't seem to have a Sabrina or a Pritchard type who rallies the team or puts the team on their back and carries that team when needed. 

23 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Both the men's and women's basketball teams this year really seem to lack the fire when they are behind. They don't seem to have a Sabrina or a Pritchard type who rallies the team or puts the team on their back and carries that team when needed. 

I may be mistaken, but didn't the Ducks come back from ~10 point deficit against Arizona?  And also, it seems like they started out in a 10-0 deficit vs. AZ St...not sure about this one.  Maybe it was UT?

31 minutes ago, Mudslide said:

I may be mistaken, but didn't the Ducks come back from ~10 point deficit against Arizona?  And also, it seems like they started out in a 10-0 deficit vs. AZ St...not sure about this one.  Maybe it was UT?

In truth I haven't watched too many games... Just observed when the Ducks were badly behind they had a tendency to stay that way. 

They'll make the big dance but they need to learn how to buckle down and fight back to make the comeback. They've done it this year but losing to the Beavers in that way and getting blown out by USC should leave a bad taste in their mouths. 

• Like 1