Jon Joseph

College Football - Will the SEC go to a 9 Game Conference Schedule or Stay with 8 Like the ACC?

Only 7 SEC teams are in favor of going to a 9 game conference schedule. Among the naysayers is Nick Saban who often advocated a 10-game conference schedule before learning that his 3 regular opponents would be Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee.

Isn't it interesting that many people support ideas before learning how they will be personally impacted? 

I don't believe the Pac, in whatever iteration, has the 'fandom' to drop to 8 conference games and schedule an additional home donut-hole game. Stanford can't sell out for the Notre Dame game.

Only college football can have a playoff where the schedules are so disparate in the strength of the opponents and the number of home games.

FANSIDED.COM

Of course, Alabama head coach Nick Saban would be opposed to a nine-game SEC schedule... SEC expansion is coming in two years, but we still don't know...

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Southeastern Conference leaders will continue debating what to do with their football schedule when they meet in the Florida Panhandle next week

It feels like it is getting harder for Oregon to even sell all the tickets to FCS opponent games. 

Oregon v Portland state this year isn't going to be a good game as of how one sided it will be but I'll watch because I can't not. 

I think some of the thought process of the PAC going to 8 games was to then schedule an additional game with the B1G or ACC back when that "alliance" was still trying to go somewhere other than just a publicly stunt that resulted in a B1G back stab or sorts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/27/2023 at 1:00 PM, David Marsh said:

It feels like it is getting harder for Oregon to even sell all the tickets to FCS opponent games. 

Oregon v Portland state this year isn't going to be a good game as of how one sided it will be but I'll watch because I can't not. 

I think some of the thought process of the PAC going to 8 games was to then schedule an additional game with the B1G or ACC back when that "alliance" was still trying to go somewhere other than just a publicly stunt that resulted in a B1G back stab or sorts. 

It's getting harder for SEC schools to fill up the stadium for the walk-over games.

• Applause 1

On 5/27/2023 at 10:00 AM, David Marsh said:

PSU tickets are on sale this weekend for $35. Also for Hawaii. Or you can get both for $50.

That's one way to get a home crowd.

(I do like the affordability for those who never get to go in person. Game day experience is a great one)

On 5/27/2023 at 2:54 PM, DanLduck said:

PSU tickets are on sale this weekend for $35. Also for Hawaii. Or you can get both for $50.

That's one way to get a home crowd.

(I do like the affordability for those who never get to go in person. Game day experience is a great one)

The Ducks will likely play an FCS opponent every season. Why not open up every season versus Portland State in Autzen when fans are fired up to see the opening game?

Plus, keep the body bag payment in the state.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty confident that the SEC will continue to schedule in a fashion that allows them to get 4 teams into the expanded CFP.

Unlike the PAC, the SEC will go out of its way to not cannibalize itself. When Texas and OU enter the SEC this will allow them to further dilute self destructive match ups.

The CFP will probably not penalize the SEC for weakened SOS. The top 25% of the SEC is filled with powerhouse programs. They shouldn't have any problem getting 3 or 4 teams in the CFP. Just need to schedule properly to get those trams to 11 wins.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The Ducks will likely play an FCS opponent every season. Why not open up every season versus Portland State in Autzen when fans are fired up to see the opening game?

Plus, keep the body bag payment in the state.

I would love to keep the FCS game local. I'm cool with PSU or even Eastern Washington as the money does stay in the north west. 

Eastern Washington is probably the team from that northern state is hate the least in truth.... Which is saying something because they broke Vernon Adam's finger! 

FISHDUCK.COM

The 2015 season saw Oregon turn to a one-year graduate transfer in Vernon Adams, and that move could have...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think UGA's president let something important slip this week in a press conference, he even said Commissioner Sankey probably won't like me saying this.  Paraphrasing what was said by him and the AD Josh Brooks, they will not come right out and say if they prefer 8 or 9 conference games (most thought UGA was in the 9 game camp) but then he added "if we increase the number of conference games we need to be compensated for that".

The nine game model had a lot of momentum and seemed to be preferred but I think that was when everyone assumed ESPN would increase the amount of money, and money is kinda tight right now for ESPN.  I think the teams that wanted to keep it at eight may have found allies with those schools that want nine but don't want to do it for free.  They may stay at eight and use nine as a bargaining chip in the future.

The reason I think Saban's comments and UGA's president matter so much is the whole reason the SEC has the messed up scheduling they have now (only playing certain teams every 5-7 years), is because they wanted to preserve two rivalry games, UGA in the east versus Auburn in the west, and Tennessee in the east versus Bama in the west.  If Bama and UGA are willing to lose those annual games then eight games is a real possibility.

I hope that the new scheduling model with Oklahoma and Texas doesn't kill the chances of an Oregon vs. Alabama game being scheduled in the future.

Now, seriously speaking, I find it weird how Nick Saban changed his mind and wants the original 8-game scheduling model to stay.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/28/2023 at 4:17 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

I hope that the new scheduling model with Oklahoma and Texas doesn't kill the chances of an Oregon vs. Alabama game being scheduled in the future.

Now, seriously speaking, I find it weird how Nick Saban changed his mind and wants the original 8-game scheduling model to stay.

Big talk until the rubber hits the road. I'm sure Nick would like Auburn, Vandy, and Missouri as his 3 pod members and perhaps, Kentucky instead of Auburn. 

On 5/28/2023 at 3:25 PM, amcdawg said:

I think UGA's president let something important slip this week in a press conference, he even said Commissioner Sankey probably won't like me saying this.  Paraphrasing what was said by him and the AD Josh Brooks, they will not come right out and say if they prefer 8 or 9 conference games (most thought UGA was in the 9 game camp) but then he added "if we increase the number of conference games we need to be compensated for that".

The nine game model had a lot of momentum and seemed to be preferred but I think that was when everyone assumed ESPN would increase the amount of money, and money is kinda tight right now for ESPN.  I think the teams that wanted to keep it at eight may have found allies with those schools that want nine but don't want to do it for free.  They may stay at eight and use nine as a bargaining chip in the future.

The reason I think Saban's comments and UGA's president matter so much is the whole reason the SEC has the messed up scheduling they have now (only playing certain teams every 5-7 years), is because they wanted to preserve two rivalry games, UGA in the east versus Auburn in the west, and Tennessee in the east versus Bama in the west.  If Bama and UGA are willing to lose those annual games then eight games is a real possibility.

$70M a year is not enough? I get his point but it's not like ESPN has lots of cash lying around.

Best to the Dawgs on the quest for a three-peat. 

On 5/27/2023 at 6:56 PM, WoadBlue said:

I think you are right about the SEC. The ACC and cannot do that. We need to play many more OOC games vs. other P5 teams. 

Great take but I think the ACC could and would go to 9 but for enabling Notre Dame to stay independent.

On 5/28/2023 at 4:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

$70M a year is not enough? I get his point but it's not like ESPN has lots of cash lying around.

Best to the Dawgs on the quest for a three-peat. 

Yeah I know right?! 😀 If I had to bet I would still think it is 9 conference games and this is smoke for negotiating purposes. 

Thank you for the well wishes, good luck to the Ducks in the Pac 12 as well. 🍻  I would hate for USC to win it on their way out.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

IMHO there are so many good reasons for the SEC to play a 9-game schedule that it is embarrassing for the league to even consider staying with the 8-game model. SIAP but the 8-game format leaves each team with only one permanent opponent each year. So, for example, Georgia would draw Florida each year and can the oldest rivalry in the deep South by having to deep-6 Auburn. Alabama would play Auburn yearly and can the long standing yearly rivalry game with Tennessee. From my opinion as a fan, this scheduling model stinks to high heaven.

The 9-game model  insures that each team will play all the other SEC teams, home and away, every 4-year period. That's as close as one will get to round-robin in a 16-team league. To have administrators Jerk for more money when they already receive 70 Mil a year (or else offer fans an inferior product) convinces me beyond all doubt that money has become the root of all evil in college football.

And,  I sincerely hope that all the SEC teams that lobby for 8 games to increase their prospects for bowl eligibility can revel in their irrelevancy!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/29/2023 at 1:30 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

IMHO there are so many good reasons for the SEC to play a 9-game schedule that it is embarrassing for the league to even consider staying with the 8-game model. SIAP but the 8-game format leaves each team with only one permanent opponent each year. So, for example, Georgia would draw Florida each year and can the oldest rivalry in the deep South by having to deep-6 Auburn. Alabama would play Auburn yearly and can the long standing yearly rivalry game with Tennessee. From my opinion as a fan, this scheduling model stinks to high heaven.

The 9-game model  insures that each team will play all the other SEC teams, home and away, every 4-year period. That's as close as one will get to round-robin in a 16-team league. To have administrators Jerk for more money when they already receive 70 Mil a year (or else offer fans an inferior product) convinces me beyond all doubt that money has become the root of all evil in college football.

And,  I sincerely hope that all the SEC teams that lobby for 8 games to increase their prospects for bowl eligibility can revel in their irrelevancy!!

Good points but just to clarify for fairness, the 8 game model ensures each team will play all the other teams, home and away, in a four year period as well.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, amcdawg said:

Good points but just to clarify for fairness, the 8 game model ensures each team will play all the other teams, home and away, in a four year period as well.

Are you sure his is true? Even if so, I still opt very strongly for the better competition option of 9 league games. Ya I know one can argue for the scheduling of better OOC opponents, but with many conferences playing 9-game schedules, those opponents will become increasingly hard to schedule. Play 9 games!!!!

• Applause 1

On 5/29/2023 at 1:54 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Are you sure his is true? Even if so, I still opt very strongly for the better competition option of 9 league games. Ya I know one can argue for the scheduling of better OOC opponents, but with many conferences playing 9-game schedules, those opponents will become increasingly hard to schedule. Play 9 games!!!!

8 games with 3 in your pod and 5 out of pod would mean 20 out of pod games over 4 seasons. But how many of the best players stick around for 4 years? Not very many.

If I were an SEC fan I would absolutely want 9 games instead of playing Northeast and Northwest State or New Mexico State in a 4th OOC game. 

In a 12-team playoff field, the SEC will bring 3 to 4 teams to the playoff table every year whether playing 8 or 9 conference games.

Always great to read your takes and best to your Dawgs in 2023.

On 5/29/2023 at 1:54 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Yeah this is true, here is the math:

1. In a 3-6 you play six teams every two years = 12 teams.  Add in the three permanent = 15 teams, plus your own team = 16

2. In a 1-7 you play seven teams every two years = 14 teams.  Add in the one permanent = 15 teams, plus your own team = 16. UGA as an example below:

3+6

2024.              2025

Florida         Florida

Auburn        Auburn

Kentucky     Kentucky

Bama            Tennessee
South Car     Vandy

Mizzou.         Arkansas

Ole Miss       Miss State

Tex A&M       LSU

Texas            Oklahoma

*permanent in bold

1+7

2024.              2025

Florida          Florida

Auburn          Kentucky

Bama            Tennessee
South Car     Vandy

Mizzou          Arkansas

Ole Miss       Miss State

Tex A&M       LSU

Texas            Oklahoma

*permanent in bold

I would also add per Ross Dellenger at SI it looks like it may be 8 for 2024 and then revisit it later.  That way they can make sure to keep the bigger rivalries in 2024 and then maybe go to 9 in 2025.  SEC is looking for $5 million more per team to go to nine.  Again, per unsubstantiated reports but it does jive with earlier rumors.

Thanks for the update amc dawg. Nonetheless, my overwhelming choice is the more competitive 9-game schedule and I'm sticking with it!

Georgia fans have long lamented having to pay good money for the OOC cupcake games that a Bama friend of mine calls "baby seal clubbings. And as the GA-Florida game is always played in the state of Florida, most are livid that they only get to see three SEC games at home every year when everybody else gets four.

Yeah, Florida has only three at home in the Swamp as well, but Florida coaches Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer thought of these Jacksonville games as home games, as do the Gator players. At least the 9-game schedule would give Georgia the four home games all the other schools get at least every other year.  

How many league games do the B1G teams play. I suspect it is 9 games, which would make the SEC on a continuing 8-game schedule a real outlier. 

• Applause 1

On 5/30/2023 at 1:30 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Thanks for the update amc dawg. Nonetheless, my overwhelming choice is the more competitive 9-game schedule and I'm sticking with it!

Georgia fans have long lamented having to pay good money for the OOC cupcake games that a Bama friend of mine calls "baby seal clubbings. And as the GA-Florida game is always played in the state of Florida, most are livid that they only get to see three SEC games at home every year when everybody else gets four.

Yeah, Florida has only three at home in the Swamp as well, but Florida coaches Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer thought of these Jacksonville games as home games, as do the Gator players. At least the 9-game schedule would give Georgia the four home games all the other schools get at least every other year.  

How many league games do the B1G teams play. I suspect it is 9 games, which would make the SEC on a continuing 8-game schedule a real outlier. 

ACC and SEC currently have eight, Pac 12, Big 10, and Big 12 have 9

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure why UGA and UF are OK with the game in Jacksonville.  I understand they each take home 3.5 million every year, instead of making money every other year.  However, just quick math, UGA has 92K seats and UF has 88K seats.  $100 tickets is 9.2 mil and 8.8 mil from ticket sales only.  I know each team would have to pay for staffing for the game, but it seems like they would make more money hosting the game every other year.

Of course, my math must be off otherwise they would not be hosting the game in Jacksonville every year.

I know the Huskies have tried to convince WSU to have the Apple Cup game at the Seahawk stadium every year.  I'm sure WSU would actually make more money with it played in Seattle every year, but the school has made it a priority to have home games.

FANSIDED.COM

With Oklahoma and Texas joining the league in 2024, the SEC football schedule will have to be adjusted accordingly. A 16-team league with Oklahoma and Texa...

On 5/30/2023 at 10:16 AM, amcdawg said:

ACC and SEC currently have eight, Pac 12, Big 10, and Big 12 have 9

To date, no team that played 9 conference games has won the CFB playoff.

Ohio State and the B1G played 8 when Ohio State (SIGH!) won the title.

• Thumbs Up 1

The GA-FLA game is played in J-Ville because it is the most lucrative option for both Universities--another example of whoring for dollars IMO. The people who get the short end of the stick are the respective season ticket holders whom I believe have to pay extra for the Florida game.

Kirby has said he'd favor home and home with Florida to give the home fans another premium home game every other year and another giant opportunity to showcase his team and Athens for all the top recruits that are on Georgia's radar.  But it is clearly more lucrative--the root of all  evil again--to play the game in Jacksonville.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the outside view, 8 conference games for a 16 team league is just rigging the system to avoid 1 more loss on the resume.  This will allow them to get 3 loss teams in the 12 team playoff discussion.  

The supporters say it is a tried and true system.  It sure is, but other conferences don't have the financial power of the SEC or the number of teams to do the same.  Big 12 had 10 teams for years.  Pac is going to have 10 teams too.  ACC goes 8 to sort of mimic the SEC but some teams play Notre Dame per contract with them.

In addition, it is no coincidence the lower SEC schools are the primary ones favoring the 8 team schedule in order for them to be bowl eligible.  "It just means more" bowl bids to the conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/31/2023 at 3:29 AM, HouClone said:

From the outside view, 8 conference games for a 16 team league is just rigging the system to avoid 1 more loss on the resume.  This will allow them to get 3 loss teams in the 12 team playoff discussion.  

The supporters say it is a tried and true system.  It sure is, but other conferences don't have the financial power of the SEC or the number of teams to do the same.  Big 12 had 10 teams for years.  Pac is going to have 10 teams too.  ACC goes 8 to sort of mimic the SEC but some teams play Notre Dame per contract with them.

In addition, it is no coincidence the lower SEC schools are the primary ones favoring the 8 team schedule in order for them to be bowl eligible.  "It just means more" bowl bids to the conference.

Far more than just 1 $cam in the SEC.

It Just Means More!

More bowl games for schlubs. Several rivalry games going away. The leader of CFB being afraid of increased competition speaks volumes regarding today's fully monetized CFB.

Teams that played 8 conference games winning 2 playoff titles is perhaps a coincidence. But every title won by a team that played 8? This is not a coincidence.

And we all know that come 2024 the SEC will get every benefit of the playoff field doubt no matter the SOS. 

Would the NE Pats playing 17 games agree to be in a playoff with a NY Giants team that played 16 games?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

While there has long been support nine-game slate, the stars have not aligned to implement it in 2024

• Thumbs Up 1

Super annoying, but like the article said, their teams make the playoffs and win titles.  Why go to 9, when 8 is working?  The committee needs to punish teams for playing 8 conference games.  That isn't happening, maybe when they go to 12 teams in the CFP, they will start punishing those teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2023 at 3:59 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Pretty confident that the SEC will continue to schedule in a fashion that allows them to get 4 teams into the expanded CFP.

Unlike the PAC, the SEC will go out of its way to not cannibalize itself. When Texas and OU enter the SEC this will allow them to further dilute self destructive match ups.

The CFP will probably not penalize the SEC for weakened SOS. The top 25% of the SEC is filled with powerhouse programs. They shouldn't have any problem getting 3 or 4 teams in the CFP. Just need to schedule properly to get those trams to 11 wins.

Sure looks like the SEC will stay at 8 conference games for the next 2 seasons at least.

A 1-7 model means that rivalries like Bama vs Tennessee will not be played every season.

It Just Means More? Maybe to guys down south selling chicken spit.

As I have noted elsewhere, come 2026 although it will mean fewer dollars for the ACC (teams that do not have ND on the schedule, B12 (although I am loathe to do anything with the B12,) and perhaps the top 2 ranked G% teams, hold their own post-season tournament

All games are played on campus except for the champ game.

With Little Power 3 subsidizing the Power 2 will only expand with an expanded playoff field. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, Tandaian said:

Super annoying, but like the article said, their teams make the playoffs and win titles.  Why go to 9, when 8 is working?  The committee needs to punish teams for playing 8 conference games.  That isn't happening, maybe when they go to 12 teams in the CFP, they will start punishing those teams.

I very much doubt the committee will punish SEC and B1G teams for playing SOS-deficient schedules. From the committee's POV Mizzou at Vandy is a tough game.

The 2 leagues, follow the money, will be propped up just like the B1G is propped up come the CBB tournament and the SEC is propped up in this season's baseball tournament.

The SEC and B1G are almost assured of having 3 teams apiece in every 12-field playoff field. The conference champ and 2 others.

In 2023, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State are in.

Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee are in, and also, possibly Alabama.

The rich will simply get richer and while more fans will likely be interested until the season's end the G5 will place 1 team in the field and the ACC, B12, and Pac-10 will be fortunate to have 2 teams in the field.

Those who have read through this thread know how I feel about the SEC's 8-game schedule and the loss of traditional rivalries. I apologize to the rest of college football for the scheduling decision made today. And yes that root of all evil--money-- was involved in this decision in more ways than one.

I fully plan to voice my displeasure about the 8-game schedule every opportunity I have to weigh in on the topic. It is set in stone only for 2024--at least that is my understanding. One of the Georgia beat writers ran a poll asking Dawg fans their preferences, and the last tabulation I saw had about 85% favoring the 9-game schedule. The fans I have corresponded with really dislike the end of yearly matchups with traditional rivals. The Georgia-Auburn game, for example, means a lot to both schools being the oldest continuous football rivalry in the Deep South.

One Dawg fan put it this way--"Doing away with rivalries for the sake of money is a step toward ripping the very soul out of the game I love". I heartily concur!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rick Neuheisel on Sirius radio yesterday went off on the SEC 8 game schedule.  Good for him.  He said it correctly.  The committee won't care who the SEC played non-conference.  They'll see the record, and see how big and fast they are and that's it. 

SEC team:  10-2

Any non-SEC team: 10-2

I know there is more to it, but the CFP Committee, just looking at the above, puts the SEC team in.  If committee looks harder, they will see 3 G5 teams on the SEC schedule (1-2 exceptions) to 2 for non-SEC team.  Won't matter. The SEC team will be rewarded for "navigating in the brutal SEC".

ESPN, notably Joey "Eye Test" Galloway and Herbie, will be pumping them up as usual.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:35 AM, HouClone said:

Rick Neuheisel on Sirius radio yesterday went off on the SEC 8 game schedule.  Good for him.  He said it correctly.  The committee won't care who the SEC played non-conference.  They'll see the record, and see how big and fast they are and that's it. 

SEC team:  10-2

Any non-SEC team: 10-2

I know there is more to it, but the CFP Committee, just looking at the above, puts the SEC team in.  If committee looks harder, they will see 3 G5 teams on the SEC schedule (1-2 exceptions) to 2 for non-SEC team.  Won't matter. The SEC team will be rewarded for "navigating in the brutal SEC".

ESPN, notably Joey "Eye Test" Galloway and Herbie, will be pumping them up as usual.  

Great take.

The SEC is staying with 8 conference games in 2024 to be revisited in 2025. Spot on that playing 8 when no school that won the playoff played 9 conference games is the way to go when in the committee's mind the SEC gets a scheduling bump playing 8 or 9.

But it's not like the SEC is avoiding solid OOC opponents down the road.

Florida plays FSU every season, Utah in 2023, and down the road plays NC State, Cal, CU, and Notre Dame.

LSU opens against USC in Las Vegas in 2024. (A Pac-10 team couldn't get this gig?) Has a return game versus UCLA, and has games scheduled against Clemson, ASU, and Utah.

Tennessee has future home + home series with Nebraska and Washington.

A+M has a home and home scheduled against Notre Dame.

Alabama plays Wisconsin, West Virginia, Ohio State, Arizona, and Notre Dame.

Georgia plays Clemson, Louisville, UCLA, FSU, and Ohio State.

Auburn plays Cal, UCLA, and Miami.

My feeling is that down the road SEC commissioner will get what he wants, 9 conference games.

The schedules above have many Pac-10 teams on the slate including playing games at UW and Utah, not easy outs. And Arizona playing Bama in Tucson? If Utah can convince SEC teams to play in SLC there is NO justification for Mullens having Oregon play 6 B12 teams OOC in the next 6 seasons.

Charles so aptly points out that Oregon was the seventh most-watched team in the nation in 2023. This will not be the case for the next 6 seasons and this falls at the feet of Rob Mullens. A guy making close to $1M a year plus bonuses and perks and with a huge support staff should be booking quality OOC opponents and not making excuses.

Giving a boost to B12 scheduling for the next 6 seasons is senseless business. Why not ask Brett Yarmack and the B12 for another punch in the chops?

The Pac 12, B1G Ten and B12 all play 9 conference games and more than half play a P5 school OOC every year.  I don't get the logic in 10 games vs P5 schools is an outlandish idea.  The only teams this season not playing a P5 OOC from those 3 conferences are: Michigan, Oregon State and UCLA

TCU Colorado  
KSU Missouri  
Texas Alabama  
Texas Tech Oregon  
OSU ASU  
Baylor UTAH  
Oklahoma none  
Kansas Illinois  
WVU Penn St. Pitt
Iowa St. Iowa  

Michigan None  
tOSU Notre Dame  
Penn St. WVU  
Maryland Virginia  
MSU UW  
Indiana Louisville  
Rutgers Va Tech  
Purdue Va Tech Syracuse
Illinois Kansas  
Iowa Iowa St.  
Minnesota UNC  
Wisconsin WSU  
Nebraska Colorado  
Northwestern Duke  

USC Notre Dame  
UW MSU  
Oregon Texas Tech  
Utah Florida Baylor
OSU None  
UCLA None  
WSU Wisconsin  
Arizona Mississippi St.  
Cal Auburn  
ASU Oklahoma St.  
Stanford Notre Dame  
Colorado TCU Nebraska
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/2/2023 at 1:09 PM, WoadBlue said:

The main opposition to going to 9 in the ACC is that 4 of us play an annual OOC game versus an in-state SEC rival. Those schools (FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville) are all adamantly opposed to a 10 game set schedule.  That is also part of the thinking behind trying to work a deal with the Pac to guarantee a large number of ACC-Pac games per season. The rest of us do not have such an in-state OOC rivalry, which allows us more flexibility in OOC scheduling and means that most of us want better OOC games. I would really like to see Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah on UNC schedules. 

Good point but in 2023 FSU plays Florida and LSU, and Clemson has a one-off and a H+H series vs Georgia. 

It's the ND enabling deal that is holding up the ACC from playing 9 conference games and not, IMO, the fact that Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and Georgia Tech play an SEC opponent every season.

ND should be required to play a 13-game regular season schedule and ACC teams that do not draw ND in a particular season should add a conference game.

Please stop enabling Notre Dame. The playoff committee should not be composed of 10 conference commissioners and the ND AD,

I am with Jon Joseph in betting that SEC Comish Greg Sankey gets  his wish for a 9-game SEC Schedule in 2025. This has surprisingly not been covered in stories on the DAWG Nation sites but criticism of the 24 8-game SEC schedule abounds on social media surrounding the team and other avenues for fan commentary.

I also saw a post, on MSN sports if I am not mistaken, that new SEC members Texas and Oklahoma favor the 9-game schedule in 2025 and thereafter, and Jon J nicely illustrated above with actual scheduling that many SEC  teams have upgraded their Power-5 OOC matchups for the coming years. In Georgia's  case, they will soon be playing a quality OOC Power-5 school as well as traditional power 5 instate rival Georgia Tech each year. Added to a 9-game SEC slate, there is nothing soft about that kind of challenge.

Kirby  Smart is a competitive freak and  he has to be loving it.

LOL! On the Saturday Down South board, most posters are blaming not going to 9 due to ESPN not willing to come up with more money than &70M a year for each SEC team.

8 games mean 4 and not 3 SEC teams in the 12-team playoff field.

I hate to have anything to do with the B12 these days but come 2026 the ACC (conference teams without Notre Dame on the schedule play a 9th conference game,) B12, Pac-10, and the top 2 teams in the G5 have their own post-season tournament.  

Let the B1G and the SEC play their own tournament along with Notre Dame. Kind of like the bowl system today.

All the 12-team field is going to do is throw more peanuts at the Little P3 and one G5 team while the Power 2 is further subsidized. 

Not as much  $ but other than that, SEC teams cannot have more than 85 guys on scholarship so there are plenty of very good HS players to go around, and the additional $ from a 12-team PO will only go to coaches, administrators, and not to the fans who will have to schlep to more and more night games.

$SEC and $cam are synonymous. 

So, the SEC (and the ACC) have dropped divisions but will continue to play 8 conference games in 2024 and the foreseeable future thereafter.

No school that played 9 conference games has won a playoff title. Staying with 8 assures that come 2026 the SEC will put at least 3 teams into a 12-team playoff field season after season and be even further subsidized by increased playoff money.

Below is the breakdown by P5 conferences of the number of games on the schedule being played against P5 opponents in 2023.

B1G - 13 games - 14 team conference

B12 - 12 games - 14 team conference in 2023

Pac -12 - 10 games - 12 team conference in 2023

ACC - 10 - 14 team conference plus scheduling agreement with Notre Dame

SEC- 2 - 14 team conference in 2023 Two!

This is as outrageous as an NFL team playing one less conference game every season.

Yes, by any metric the SEC is the best conference but don't try and tell me that Bama vs NM State in a 4th out-of-conference game is the equivalent of Oregon playing Oregon State in a 9th conference game.

And we all know that the SEC could play 6 conference games and not be dinged by the PO Committee regarding the strength of the schedule.

The SEC (and the ACC) have 1 committee vote. It's time to step up and end this chicanery or it is time to get off of the SEC playoff gold merry-go-round. 

SEC plays only two OOC games against Power5 opponents in  23? I know Georgia plays Georgia Tech annually  and  that Alabama plays  Texas in 23. Manty years Georgia plays two such games on their own. Next year in 2024 the Dawgs have Clemson and Tech on their schedule.

I have learned not to doubt Jon Joseph's "facts" on this forum  but it is  a bit  hard to believe, true as it may be, that Georgia and Bama are the only SEC schools with a power 5 OOC game. In fact, I am pretty sure that Florida  has OOC games with Utah and Florida State, South Carolina plays  Clemson,  LSU has Florida State and there  are  surely others  that slip my mind at this late (for me) hour. 

check again Jon.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:43 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

SEC plays only two OOC games against Power5 opponents in  23? I know Georgia plays Georgia Tech annually  and  that Alabama plays  Texas in 23. Manty years Georgia plays two such games on their own. Next year in 2024 the Dawgs have Clemson and Tech on their schedule.

I have learned not to doubt Jon Joseph's "facts" on this forum  but it is  a bit  hard to believe, true as it may be, that Georgia and Bama are the only SEC schools with a power 5 OOC game. In fact, I am pretty sure that Florida  has OOC games with Utah and Florida State, South Carolina plays  Clemson,  LSU has Florida State and there  are  surely others  that slip my mind at this late (for me) hour. 

check again Jon.

Thanks for the comment. The list is the number of teams each conference will play against P5 members in 2023.

Florida and South Carolina are the only 2 SEC schools playing 10 P5 opponents in 2023.

OK now I see what you were saying but it wasn't real clear in the original post.It read, to me at  least, as if only two SEC schools played a power-5 OOC opponent in 2023

I listened to the Dawgnation Daily podcast today in which the host defended  the SEC's staying on the 8-game  conference schedule unless ESPN coughs up more money. The main guest, also a Dawgnation writer, in a polite way tore  the host a new one. His main points were  that  trashing long-standing annual rivalries, which would be maintained  only with a 9-game schedule with three permanent opponents, is absolutely stupid in view of the loss of important rivalries that the schools hold dear.

In other words, don't screw with the traditions that make the treasured game that  it is to whore  for  a  few more dollars. Yeah, money may be important, but when it becomes the factor that drives all decisions, I think it likely that a significant portion of he fandom starts to peel away. We've already got the cold money game with the NFL. Why ruin college football to craft a junior version of the Sunday game?

Commissioner Greg Sankey very much wants the 9-game SEC schedule for 2025. My money is on him getting what he wants, whether or not additional money is forthcoming.

• Applause 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:32 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

OK now I see what you were saying but it wasn't real clear in the original post.It read, to me at  least, as if only two SEC schools played a power-5 OOC opponent in 2023

I listened to the Dawgnation Daily podcast today in which the host defended  the SEC's staying on the 8-game  conference schedule unless ESPN coughs up more money. The main guest, also a Dawgnation writer, in a polite way tore  the host a new one. His main points were  that  trashing long-standing annual rivalries, which would be maintained  only with a 9-game schedule with three permanent opponents, is absolutely stupid in view of the loss of important rivalries that the schools hold dear.

In other words, don't screw with the traditions that make the treasured game that  it is to whore  for  a  few more dollars. Yeah, money may be important, but when it becomes the factor that drives all decisions, I think it likely that a significant portion of he fandom starts to peel away. We've already got the cold money game with the NFL. Why ruin college football to craft a junior version of the Sunday game?

Commissioner Greg Sankey very much wants the 9-game SEC schedule for 2025. My money is on him getting what he wants, whether or not additional money is forthcoming.

I'm often unclear but never in doubt!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

What an SEC 9 conference schedule could look like using the 2024 and forward B1G scheduling agreement.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The SEC is staying at eight games for now, but we're still pondering what an adjusted slate would look like