Charles Fischer

Beavers Prove why Conference Tournaments Should be Dissolved

I am not a fan of conference tournaments at all, as it diminishes the impact of a long league season.  The conference champion should be who proves it over the long stretch of games, and not by "who-gets-hot" in a three day period in early March.  This is also how every conference is trying to "rig" their entries into the NCAA tournament when a mediocre team wins the conference tournament, and thus that league gets more teams into March Madness.

The whole process is a crock.

If there was ever a time to make my case--it is now, as the Pac-12 will benefit from the Beavers winning the Pac-12 Tournament.  But it should not happen; the league champion should not be decided this way...

Tyler Dorsey and Dana Altman win in the Tournament_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

That is what the NCAA Tournament is all about, now. The little guy has a chance to make a run. This is why the NCAA Tournament is so popular.

Back in the day the Kamikaze kids didn't even get a chance, when the tournament was just for the few. 

Now if the dawgs had been able to get in at 10 I would be singing a different song. The beavs getting in at 5 and the trojans, buffs and bruins falling to the wayside was fun to watch. Iron strengthens iron, and having a decent beaver program can only help the Oregon program.

I think the Ducks may have even benefited by, again, seeing that if they don't bring it, every game, anybody can beat them.

Edited by Haywarduck

I don't like the tournament winner being called a "Champion", the Ducks are back to back champions, after finishing the season with the best record, the Beavs finished fifth after the season. This time, the Beavs didn't even have to win 4 games in the Conference Tournament, as the Ducks did in 2018-19. Because, Arizona didn't participate, the 5th place Beavs got a bye into the second round. 

"But, the Beavs beat the Ducks, so shut up!"

Yes, they did, and UCLA, and Colorado, all teams seeded higher than them because they all played better than did the Beavers during the regular season, 'so you shut up!"

The NCAA Tournament is a marathon,  the little guys can make some noise. But to get  to the Sweet 16, the elite 8, you've proven you're a really good team, didn't just get hot for a couple of days. It just doesn't make sense, that a "hot" team gets the Automatic Bid, while the Regular Season Champ is just another At Large selection. 

Edited by 30Duck

3 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

the league champion should not be decided this way...

There should be a league champion and a tournament champion.

In any power 5 conference, both the league champion and the tournament champion will always get in... usually along with one or two others.

If we were in a minor conference that is only going to send one team no matter what, taking a tournament champion over the league champion would be a miscarriage of justice.

A couple years ago, when Oregon needed to win the the tournament to get it, nobody here was crying that it shouldn't be the case. On the last game of the regular season, I remember watching and Bill Walton was making a strong case for the Ducks being included based on how well they were playing at the end of the season. The other guy in the booth said the Ducks wouldn't make it because those are the rules... they won't make it unless they win the tournament. Bill said that if the committee had any eyes and brains the Ducks would be in no matter what.

Walton was wrong and the other guy was right. The Ducks had to win the tournament to get into the dance. They did... and made quite a run of it.

8 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

A couple years ago, when Oregon needed to win the the tournament to get it, nobody here was crying that it shouldn't be the case.

I wasn't crying about it, but I've always felt that the conference tournament is an attempt to "game" the system, and reduce the value of the prior conference season.  In my own bizzaro world, Oregon would not have gone that year, and while it would have been too bad--I do not like these games...

Wooten blocks Husky_ESPN Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

The automatic bid should go to the team who wins the regular season. The tournament champion should not get an automatic bid unless they meet certain criteria. Like 20 wins...

I fairness the Ducks snuck into the big dance a couple years ago by getting hot in the pac-12 tournament and winning it all. 

Though the added bonus was that Oregon smashes washington in the finals who won the regular season. 

It is all about the money.  The conference tournament is an easy way for conferences to make even more money.  I think it is a bit silly for .500 or below to win their conference bid, but those are the rules.  We love Cinderella

runs, but in the end it doesn't matter.  Villanova in 1985 was the lowest seed ever to win the tournament as the 8 seed.  They were in a stacked Big East back then and were ranked in the top 20 for most of the season.  All it 

does is bump out another medicore team.