Charles Fischer

Black Uniforms: I am DONE with Them

Oregon was the original national trend-setter introducing black as a new uniform color.  After widespread criticism....nearly all the other teams have adopted this over the last decade.  Any time I saw the Washington Basketball team play on the road as I flipped through channels this year...I never saw a single purple uniform, just black as their away uniforms.  When even Stanford is wearing black? It is no longer unique.

Oregon is carrying it to extremes, and I want our actual colors now and not black or grey uniforms.  We played at Oregon State recently with black uniforms and yellow trim?  We are not Iowa, but Oregon!  The baseball game yesterday was even dumber....OSU was wearing orange, while Oregon wore black tops with black helmets.  You would have thought you were watching a Beaver intra-squad scrimmage!

Green-yellow-white please.  If you want to be "different" than have throw-back uniforms and different green and yellow colors, but let's begin to honor what the Ducks are again!

Beating Huskies.jpg

Kevin Willhite_Benzduck.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I couldn't agree more, with Gray being my personal least favorite color... I just despise it. (The only exception would possibly be a gray road baseball uni)

I'm extremely old-school about school colors, especially our glorious green and yellow.  But I wonder if younger fans feel the same way? I'd be willing to bet that they don't.

• Like 1

Totally agree. I identify with the more traditional colors.

As long as orange, and purple are banned, I really don’t mind the different colors. The football team did wear orange socks a few years ago and I wasn’t too keen on that idea. I always wear green and yellow at away games and am immediately identified as a Duck fan. Everyone knows the Duck colors....lol

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought it was fun to wear all black at the Halloween blackout game... but that is only once a year. And if it doesn't fall on Halloween what is the point of having a blackout?

I don't know why black is so popular.... Just because Oregon does it???  Everyone wants to be like the cool kid???

So, I guess this puts me in the black isn't my favorite color category.

I am interested in the national marketing of our cool uniform combinations... because it is something the athletes talk about.

High school kids where the same uniform for four years. Coming to Oregon and wearing a different combination every week is appealing. I can see why.

Not many nowadays realize that Oregon's true colors were lime green and lemon yellow, way back when. Very impressive uniforms, don't think I've seen that combo of shades in many years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Boy I don't know...even though the picture is in black and white....I don't think it was actually lime green then.

Oregon Football Team 1916_Benzduck.jpg

The 1916 team....

There was even a couple of years in the 1930s where Oregon had a metallic gold helmet!

Bobby Moore 1972.jpg

Bobby Moore, 1972

Mr. FishDuck

I certainly prefer green and yellow uniforms, and I've always disliked Oregon's use of black or gray. I also agree wholeheartedly, Charles, with your "it's been done" sentiment. Even if it looked fresh a decade ago, it's tired now. But I've kind of given up on the whole complaint, because today college football teams are runway models for the apparel companies selling jerseys. To Nike or Adidas or Under Armour, making just one or two jersey types doesn't give them enough different products to sell (in their minds).

For me, it's not so much the non-Oregon colors that the Ducks sometimes wear that is the most distasteful. It's the one-off themed uniforms that don't even say Ducks, like the ridiculous Lewis & Clark tribute one-off uniforms of a few years back. And it's the very silly faux patterning that Oregon used to have on its jerseys. At the end of the day, I'll take a black Oregon jersey if it doesn't have fake diamond plating or fake feathers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brian Libby said:

At the end of the day, I'll take a black Oregon jersey if it doesn't have fake diamond plating or fake feathers.

What about real feathers?

Personally... I like some sort of feather pattern on the shoulders as it seems to fill the uniform out more. I know I'm probably in the minority here as well but I'm good with the use of a black uniform for football once or twice a year. I however, don't like the use of black or off colored uniforms in bowl games, or tournaments or anywhere that Oregon needs to show off being Oregon.

Below is an image from the FishDuck from 2014 where Oregon was playing Washington State. I personally love these uniforms but they are mostly yellow with some black. Again, once a year ... sure. I know that I also have nostalgia for the early 2010's as that is the time where I really became a hardcore Ducks fan.

p.jpeg?size=800x600&size_mode=3

Even though I like these uniforms well enough... I love some bright green and yellow uniforms even more.

At least we will not have the potential horrors of the OSU BB tournament game with two shades of orange present. Washed out orange vs garish orange.

You know your getting older when......... the music of the young pisses you off, and so does the clothes they wear.

51t8mt.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just be glad OUR Duck is Green and Yellow... It could be worse, And beats the heck outa "Gamecock!

Rambler (1).jpg

Edited by woundedknees

I like the varied uniforms.  All white road uniforms especially.  But it is fun to see what they come up with next...

I really liked the lightning yellow, thunder green, and ice white.

• Like 1

I know I'm showing how young I am... but I do love me some highlighter burn-your-eyes-out yellow.

It kinda happens once a year... but I'd love to see a Yellow Out become a real thing at Oregon. Do this at night with the stadium lights on and ALL THAT BRIGHT YELLOW! It could be pretty cool. Right now we kinda do it against a lesser opponent early in the year and it is typically an afternoon game. It just feels lacking when it could be something spectacular.

• Like 1

I’m ok with a blackout once a year.

This seasons black helmets with yellow wings are really cool, the main reason I’m looking forward to a blackout Friday night vs cal.

The past 2 seasons we had the nightmare green instead of black, so it’s been a while since a blackout.

Just once a year Oregon, keep it rare!

Really our only concern is what the Juniors and Seniors in High School think.  Whatever keeps the 4 and 5 stars coming in, is ok with me! ( as long as it’s not purple) 😊

I AGREE!!

But, I did some 5 minute very thorough and in-depth research. 

"The Duck" mascot is based on Donald Duck.

The first appearance of Donald shows him in a shirt colored in....wait for it..........black!!!!     

I laughed my tail feathers off.

Fact check:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Duck

On 3/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, Haywarduck said:

You know your getting older when......... the music of the young pisses you off, and so does the clothes they wear.

51t8mt.jpg

I RESEMBLE THIS REMARK + the photo too!

Hey you kids! Get off of my lawn!

I really don't care as long as the O is gold/yellow and they WIN THE DAY!!!

I also like the shiny green helmets with the gold O.

Im easy to please.