FishDuck Article

Mario Cristobal is a Perfect College Coach

Chip Kelly ruined it, didn’t he? He was just a good enough recruiter to always have a decent roster, his offensive mind is one of the greatest of all time and he is easily the best halftime adjuster in modern school history. He was never going to have to leave Oregon. The administration was going to give him anything he wanted, ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

He is a very good college coach, but perfect?  I think the jury is still out on him, as the sample size is still too small.  We need an offense that matches the times; will we see it?

Royce Freeman 2014_Craig Strobeck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon has had the perfect athlete. The competition for the perfect athlete is the decathlon, and Ashton won with the metrics which were created to show who was the best.

As far as the perfect coach I'm not sure what the metrics are, or should be. One metric, most would agree on, is winning a NCAA National Title, and Mario hasn't reached that one yet.

I will agree he may be the perfect coach for our program. The title, like the one for Altman, will come, if the stars align.

For now all we can do is to continue to illuminate all we love, and question about our coaches, programs as we discuss our Beloved Ducks.

Great article with lots of work put into the research and thought!

I think we can make a case that the closest thing to a perfect coach does reside at Oregon...

Happy Hour With the Ducks: Robert Johnson - University of Oregon Athletics

The number of Indoor/Outdoor Track and Cross Country National Championships under him has been staggering.  A GIANT in his sport....

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yes, Cristobal is the perfect "college" coach! You nailed it!!

Is he a perfect coach? No.

But that's not what you're saying. 

Cristobal is loyal. He won't be leaving for greener pastures.

Parents love him.

Boosters love his enthusiasm.

Coaches like working for him.

Players love him!

We win LOTS of games!

Think about it, in 3 years he has 2 Pac 12 championships, a Rose Bowl win, and best recruiting classes 3 years in a row!!

Yes, we haven't been scoring tons of points, and yes, our losses have looked bad, but it's only been a few years. Do we want to go back to years with Helfrich?!

I think the best point you make is the last one, not going to the NFL.

Keeping someone with Mario's attributes around for a long time seems very enticing. 

If we maintain recruiting like this for more years to come, I don't think we will be whining on this site about a lack-luster offense.

I think we will be wondering why coach Cristobal isn't paid more!

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, DanLduck said:

If we maintain recruiting like this for more years to come, I don't think we will be whining on this site about a lack-luster offense.

THAT is what I am hoping for and waiting to see....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Although I honestly believe we can make it to the CFP this year, I would suggest that we should make it about half the time after this year if his recruits are really that good.  Nobody is perfect!

GO Ducks!!!

pre.jpg.67a0d8121fab5d3663d292a461331976.jpg

I think Cristobal needs to trust Moorhead, or find a good OC he does trust, and then step back from play design AND play calling.  He could coach the offensive line if he wants.  Delegate the defense too.  Cristobal's obsession with line play tells me he will always be a guy who thinks the correct approach is to just out-tough the other team.  Winning big means OUTSMARTING the other team too.

3 hours ago, widgeon said:

I think Cristobal needs to trust Moorhead, or find a good OC he does trust, and then step back from play design AND play calling.  He could coach the offensive line if he wants.  Delegate the defense too.  Cristobal's obsession with line play tells me he will always be a guy who thinks the correct approach is to just out-tough the other team.  Winning big means OUTSMARTING the other team too.

I think MC started to.  I just think we saw subpar performances from the players. Some say it’s coaching, but   finding and throwing to an open receiver is the QBs job.  Handing off or keeping the ball and running is up tot he QB.  There were plenty of misses in that area. All year.

MC is bringing in athletes like we haven’t consistently seen, ever. He’s also still learning to be an effective game manager in terms of time outs and managing the clock. 

He is neither an offensive or defensive play caller by experience when a player or coach and is perhaps more dependent on both of his coordinators for offensive and defensive production than some other coaches who had coordinator specialities. I think we now have upgrades at both coordinator positions in terms of experience and ability. 

Id also point out that MC has little kids that would do well from a stable environment for many more years. He’s a family man and I suspect appreciates the university, booster(s), and life in Eugene. He connects with parents and athletes and I think this reinforces the aforementioned family attributes. I don’t see him seeking the NFL in the short term. Unfinished business on numerous fronts. 

He has had very real success that cannot be overlooked and the next two seasons will go a long way to proving whether he’s a top head coach able to get the most out of the ever improving  

level of recruiting or not. 

I like where the program is heading. We’ve got serious and increasing athleticism and I think the defense will be problematic for the opposition. 

I quite happy waiting and seeing what MC brings and how he’s grown since last season. He’s working on improving as much as anyone and I just wish spring ball would start already. 

Could you imagine a prolific offense like 10 years ago with the athletes of today? 

Cristobal has the attitude that he will just outwork the guy next to him to win over the long term. Love that attitude and he also seems to connect well with the players. He might not have been ready for prime time when he took over the Duck program, but his work ethic and ability to recruit has many expecting his team to SOON be good enough to challenge for a title.

The transition from “speed football” with a potent offense, to what we have today, has been tough on long time fans. However, Expectations are once again rising, and it will be fun to watch if the team can match those expectations. 

The Ducks are on the move and Cristobal is leading the way. I’m on board and look forward to returning to Autzen to  watch this unfold.

GO DUCKS