FishDuck Article

Don’t Sleep On Oregon’s Secret Superstars

Without a doubt, the most pleasant surprise for Ducks’ fans in 2022 was the resurgence of the Oregon offense. Mr. FishDuck took some time from his NFL live betting, and studying the NFL to ponder these secret Duck superstars with me, that will emerge in 2023. The Ducks were once synonymous with offensive explosion and ingenuity, but the unit was ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Without a doubt, the most pleasant surprise for Ducks' fans in 2022 was the resurgence of the Oregon offense. Mr. FishDuck took some time...
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thank you for taking the time to create this positive football article about OBD's. With all the unknown's swirling around about media rights and expansion this timely article was refreshing.

As long as the talented O Line jells, creating both running lanes and top level pass protection the 2023 offense will create nightmarrs for opposing DC's.

When DC's load the box to stop the run, receivers like Johnson and Franklin will feast in single coveage. Both players possess the skills to keep the chains moving or take it to the house.

I agree that both players should emerge as stars in 2023. This is exciting for all Duck fans.

On the flip side, during the spring game, the D secondary showed tight coverage. All the receivers had to work hard for their catches and yards. The open field tackling was encouraging.  Yet the covered receivers made catches.

The on field future is bright and that is a topic I am excited to ponder.

GO DUCKS......

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would add the difference with this Lanning team is the depth. Lanning is building depth and competition for playing time at every position like we have never seen before.

Great article and I look forward to seeing both of these guys light up the opponents. The difference from years past is if they go down we don't.

I think the defensive line might be one of the most interesting areas to watch. There could be some fierce battles for playing time, and the old guard is going to get pushed at all positions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Joshua....I did not know how Troy passed the ball so little, and thus your observation about the numbers of Tez Johnson are even more remarkable.  Fun read, thank you!

I would suggest that another receiver might also be pushing Franklin for Superstar status before his time at Oregon ends, and that is Gary Bryant Jr., the transfer from USC.  Bryant's numbers in 2021 would have topped all receivers at Oregon that year and would have made him our No. 1 WR, had he been at Oregon.  Lincoln Riley then is hired, brings Addison from Pitt, and his own WRs from Oklahoma, and Bryant is left out.  I think we got a dandy in him; when you consider all three along with Traeshon Holden and Kris Hutson?  Whew!

USC WR Gary Bryant Jr. stepping up for the Trojans – Orange County Register

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great article.  Thanks, Joshua.

Great analogy, by way ... peanut butter and jelly.  Haha ... I can hear the locker room now.  "Great TD, Peanut (or Butter)!"  "Awesome run, Jelly!"   😄

You may have created a monster, JW.  

Edited by Mudslide
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Thanks for sharing this insight regarding Tez Johnson.  Perhaps this is the possession receiver we so desperately need, which in turn takes more pressure off Nix having to run for first downs.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Always great to read your takes Joshua. Thank you.

Tez played on the Sun Belt's championship team last season. A team that defeated Will Stein's CUSA champion UTSA in an underrated and somewhat off-the-radar bowl game. A game that if the G5 had its own playoff could easily have been the title game. No offense to MW champ Fresno State which handily defeated Wazzu in the LA Bowl.

You more than correctly point out the revival Dan and Dilly made on offense. As Charles early and often pointed out, resuscitating a Mario-led O that was destroying the Oregon brand.

Can't wait to watch Bo make a Heisman run and for these two excellent receivers to light up the scoreboard.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, Mudslide said:

Great article.  Thanks, Joshua.

Great analogy, by way ... peanut butter and jelly.  Haha ... I can hear the locker room now.  "Great TD, Peanut (or Butter)!"  "Awesome run, Jelly!"   😄

You may have created a monster, JW.  

I like peanut butter creamy peanut butter crunchy peanut butter too. With some Natty jelly on the side, please?

Yeah, the Dan and Will show now, resurrecting the O.  And the D under Lanning will not be far behind, and as mentioned above...depth, despite 25 portals beamed out (and some great pieces beamed up and in!).  

The RB room deserves mention for it's depth as well, plus WR as Charles mentions.  The competition on Defense will make us much improved there I think, and our offense could make opponents unable to keep up.

Only concern is O-Line, but even with 4 starters graduated, there is a lot of experience and the 2 big time transfers in...I think even here we have more depth than we realize, it's just a matter of getting into Stein's system and getting it dialed.  With all of Nix's weapons, we can have a balanced O that doesn't require Nix to take off and risk injury so much, but the O line will be key, obviously.  I think this season will be remarkable.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a lot of optimism about the O-line. Harper (if healthy), Jones, JPJ and Conerly all have experience at Oregon, Jones and Harper as starters. Cornelius brings tons of snaps into the mix, Angilau as well. With a bunch of up and comers in the room like Iuli and Laloulu. The experienced D-line along with Burch and Dorlus will push them to get better, and fast.

The major IDK factors will be the loss of experience and leadership of last year's guys that played next to each other for 4 years, and the savvy of Forsythe calling formations and assignments from the center. I think the 2023 version may not be as experienced, but they have more talent and will gel into a formidable crew.

• Thumbs Up 1