Tandaian

Ty Thompson to Attend Manning Passing Academy

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Oregon Ducks third-year sophomore is among 45 college quarterbacks who will serve as counselors for the 27th annual event

The Manning Academy is proof that Ty does great in low pressure situations but clearly has issues under the lights in a game. Last year there were a couple videos of him launching 60 yarders to receivers at the camp. People that didn't know him were raving about him there. It is his game-time mental processing that is the issue. That can only be fixed with more reps until he's comfortable; or it's apparent it can't be fixed.

Maybe Will Stein is the guy to help him.  Hard to say for sure.  I hope so because TT seems like a really nice kid and it's not hard to like him.  He always comes across as courteous and sincere based on the interviews I have seen.

There is also the possibility that Mario simple chased him because of stars.   That seems to be more apparent everyday.  

I was privy to a discussion among some well connected 'boosters' and one of them made the comment that Mario's inability to really evaluate talent is showing.  I was not in a position due to the setting  to ask the person to elaborate but the comment stuck with me. Maybe it will become more apparent at Miami or the flip side is he will be very successful and develop the talent.  I have my doubts but certainly will own up to it if proven wrong.  Note, no ill will intended on my part toward Mario, but it seems that a lot has come to light recently that has certainly given me pause for thought.  

Anyway not an intent to highjack the thread about TT.   Hope he does well at the camp and becomes QB2 that can be relied upon.

Can the Manning Academy help him pass-backwards better?

giphy.gif

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, Augduck said:

one of them made the comment that Mario's inability to really evaluate talent is showing. 

Some of us feel that it was his Cristobal's inability to develop that talent?  Ty might be an example if he comes through this fall...

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with the sentiment that Mario couldn't develop talent.... not evaluate... he clearly got talented recruits to Oregon during his tenure. Develop thought? I mean... he had Justin Herbert and played him down a few levels... clearly.... 

Cheers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, Mario's misuse of Herbert goes down as one of the all time football crimes.   He had generational talent in Herbert and having him hand off and occasionally drop a 20 yd pass was just beyond belief.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is definitely talent which meets it's level of incompetence, but there is also incompetent development of talent. I think Ty suffered from early incompetent talent development which may have affected his ability up to this point. 

I personally always scratched my head when I saw the play calling for Ty last year, and before. I hope to see better play calling for him this year. I also realize that can't explain everything.

I also hope to see better development of his in game ability. I think it was interesting to see him stay in and the coaches give him the whole spring game. They are definitely going to give Ty a real shot.

The question is will Ty make anything of this shot, or will Novasad become something early?

I do think the coaches know they have a back-up plan on the bench. We have a senior who has lots of experience, and is the second most experienced senior at qb, Matt Rush. 

If plan B, developing a qb, doesn't work, expect to see Rush manage the games until Nix can get back on the field. Rush seems like he has the experience to at least manage a game with some extremely talented skill players.

I doubt we have a coach who has no clue about what he is going to do if plan A or B fails. Those days are thankfully behind us.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:30 PM, Haywarduck said:

There is definitely talent which meets it's level of incompetence, but there is also incompetent development of talent. I think Ty suffered from early incompetent talent development which may have affected his ability up to this point. 

I personally always scratched my head when I saw the play calling for Ty last year, and before. I hope to see better play calling for him this year. I also realize that can't explain everything.

I also hope to see better development of his in game ability. I think it was interesting to see him stay in and the coaches give him the whole spring game. They are definitely going to give Ty a real shot.

The question is will Ty make anything of this shot, or will Novasad become something early?

I do think the coaches know they have a back-up plan on the bench. We have a senior who has lots of experience, and is the second most experienced senior at qb, Matt Rush. 

If plan B, developing a qb, doesn't work, expect to see Rush manage the games until Nix can get back on the field. Rush seems like he has the experience to at least manage a game with some extremely talented skill players.

I doubt we have a coach who has no clue about what he is going to do if plan A or B fails. Those days are thankfully behind us.

Totally agree.   I think Dan is much more prepared, astute and willing to listen to and LEARN from his assistants.  His predecessor was a control freak and everything was done his way.  We saw how that worked out on multiple ocassions. 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Can the Manning Academy help him pass-backwards better?

Oregon just needs to make sure TT isn't allowed on the men's 4X100M relays. I kid, I kid.

relay.jpg

I heard a piece about what it takes to be a formula one driver. The amount of information a driver has to process, and the intensity of the action is second to none. Many can drive, but few can drive a formula one car. The sport often had multiple deaths every year well into the 70's.

While I don't think being a D-1 quarterback is exactly like being a formula one driver it does take a lot of processing and an ability to handle some intense moments. I wonder if a formula-1 simulator would be a good indicator about a qb's capability, much better than camps, and high school football.

The measurables of a qb, like a china doll, are pretty easy to see from a distance.

The intensity and complexity of the situations a college qb has to deal with are a whole different variable that often gets rated. How many times has a sure thing qb not panned out, too many times. 

Maybe Ty should train on a formula-1 simulator, or Oregon should install one for the athletes, and maybe Oregon should test their qb recruits on the simulator? 

Edited by Haywarduck
fricken-1 spellchecked to fricken-1