Haywarduck

Is This Acceptable?

It seems the NBA is all about the show, and not about playing the game. Is it acceptable to airball a technical foul shot and laugh it off when your team is down by 13? Another  reason why I don't watch the NBA anymore.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-lakers-kyle-kuzmas-hilariously-awful-free-throw-made-the-warriors-lose-their-minds-132134698.html  

Edited by Haywarduck

2 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

It seems the NBA is all about the show, and not about playing the game. Is it acceptable to airball a technical foul shot and laugh it off when your team is down by 13? Another  reason why I don't watch the NBA anymore.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-lakers-kyle-kuzmas-hilariously-awful-free-throw-made-the-warriors-lose-their-minds-132134698.html  

How do their fans feel about it?  I sure wouldn't like it!

Mr. FishDuck

20 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

Is it acceptable to airball a technical foul shot and laugh it off when your team is down by 13? Another  reason why I don't watch the NBA anymore.

I'm a bit confused by this, Kuzma plays for LAL not the GSW. LA was up 10 when he shot the tech. as for being so bad you can't even hit the rim or backboard I wouldn't say it is a particularly new thing. the 90's and 00's had a player so notible for missing Free Throws the term to defend him was called Hack-a-Shaq.

The biggest issue with the NBA is you consistently have a team or two that is below .500 that makes the playoffs. you have a number of players that can negotiate and destroy a team whenever they want out and you have inconsistent reffing that makes the pac12 look good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

I'm a bit confused by this, Kuzma plays for LAL not the GSW. LA was up 10 when he shot the tech. as for being so bad you can't even hit the rim or backboard I wouldn't say it is a particularly new thing. the 90's and 00's had a player so notible for missing Free Throws the term to defend him was called Hack-a-Shaq.

The biggest issue with the NBA is you consistently have a team or two that is below .500 that makes the playoffs. you have a number of players that can negotiate and destroy a team whenever they want out and you have inconsistent reffing that makes the pac12 look good. 

My bad, your right, I had the score mixed up, but the question stands. Is it a game where we are just entertained by players, just playing around? Much like a game show where people are having fun and we are entertained by the fun they are having.

Or are sports watched to see the strategy, competition throughout the game. I remember feeling back in the 1990's most NBA games were just a fun time until the last few minutes, if it was close. If the game was close there would be a few attempts to win, but the game was probably already decided, sometimes before the game even started.

This is where most football games differ. There is competition all over the field and it seldom is just for fun.

It is also why I enjoy golf sometimes. With golf there are not guaranteed contracts. If you don't make the cut you get nothing and sometimes a putt is worth a lot of money and guys choke. 

The NBA seems like the worst example of professional sports being more like a game show than a competition. I hope NBA management can create a better game. I also hope other sports can stay away from the conundrum the NBA has put itself in, with superstar teams and little real competition.

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Like 1

I completely agree Haywarduck, as a whole I love the complexity of basketball and the fine details of the sport but frankly nobody cares anymore. to many players are flopping, I mean how many times have I seen James Harden take a shot  and land funny or put his hip out just to get the contact. the game has at the NBA level lost the majority of its strategic value. Golf is an interesting sport that I don't have the patience for watching but outside of sponsorships the only money they earn is in how they perform. unfortunately I just don't think this would work for team sports. I mean 'Super teams' are already an issue it would be worse if payment was based on performance.

If the NBA is interested in actually making the sport worthwhile, they need to improve reffing along with incentivize defense by removing the 'freedom' of movement' rules implemented 2-3 seasons ago. They need to limit tampering with in the league so players aren't encouraged to jump ship(talking about AD and Harden being babies). They need to structure rules so players can't contour their body to get contact on shots. and honestly something needs done to rework player contracts in the league.

I have no problem with the money most players make but teams shouldn't be able to be 60million+ over the salary cap.( Example: cap is 109.14M and GSW is at 174.2M, BN at 167.3M and P76's at 145M) what is the point of caps if teams can go 40 million over and be within the rules? Like I think Steph is worth 43M and Klay is worth 35M but if you get those two players you should only have 31M to fill in the rest of your roster and probably won't have green or wiggins. 

Maybe only partly related, but one of my fond memories of why I never considered NBA to be real basketball was going to see a Blazers game in the late 80's, when they had Chris Dudley.

I managed to get good enough seats to see clearly. One play, the ball went up, bounced off the rim, a collection of giants all tried to retrieve it, and Dudley started swinging his arms around. He made it look like a caricature of someone being off-balance and trying to stay standing, but every time his arms flailed one of the giants went flying left or right.

In the end, the ball came down to him for the rebound, and I was really impressed how strong he was.

But I did appreciate how this is NOT basketball as I know it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Golf too has become a game where it is, many times, a game where those who can overpower the arena in which it is played win. The subtleties and complexity of the game is lost to what is almost a circus type event.

In basketball it is too bad because some of the greatest athletes use to and do play the game. Watching a Dr. J, or MJ drive and acrobatically make shots is a thing of beauty. Seeing the game played by Pistol Pete or Magic Johnson was magical. The way Damian or Curry shoot a 3 is astounding. The problem is now we have guys who can basically only shoot 3's, stuff the basketball and little need for a guy who can distribute the ball well.

With golf and basketball it almost needs a recalibration. In golf this is happening with Augusta adding length and complexity to their course, and many others doing the same. With basketball they should consider this concept. With Lilliard hitting 3's from almost half court, the court isn't big enough. With the height of the players in the league the rim isn't high enough either.

When Wilt Chamberlain would stuff his free throws and the league changed the rules. Actually Wilt put in motion 5 rule changes, anyone know them? It is time for another set of rule changes like back then.

Maybe I am just getting older and want the old days. I will say they were better, undoubtedly!

1 hour ago, Haywarduck said:

Maybe I am just getting older and want the old days. I will say they were better, undoubtedly!

It happens to the best of us haha.

I figure in a general sense that the 3 point shot was put in as an answer to the "Dudleys" of the league. It spread the game out just due to the math.

I think the rules sort of iteratively change over time to reflect that. I'm not enough of a student of either pro BB or college football to really point to details, but in general once things get so far out of balance that everyone complains, there will be a rule change.

2 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

Actually Wilt put in motion 5 rule changes

I'll take the 3 second rule, which should definitely be done away with. It's like holding in football could be called on every play. It isn't of course, and every time it is, I can only imagine it's to fill a league mandated quota. Not as bad, and not Wilt's fault, is the 5 second inbound rule, this again is unnecessary, and left to the ref's own internal clock.   

Most inbounding is very casual, given the 2nd base close enough judgment on double plays, it just doesn't matter on a routine inbound if a player's toe is on the line. Another silly rule? Players on the side coming in early on a free throw, all the time, players from both teams enter the lane early, and again, "quota" occsionally the ref will blow his, or hers, whistle.