Charles Fischer

Tell-me, Tell me: Fiesta Bowl Game Thread

Need some good half time adjustments ... Especially on defense. 

Regardless of the outcome, I see a very, very young Ducks team that suffers hugely, both in talent and leadership, from the opt-outs in the defensive backfield.

They're game, they're talented, but mistakes hurt them.

And, Iowa State is really, really good on offense. Who can tell about their defense when they always have the ball?

Edited by jrw

1 hour ago, 1Ducker1 said:

Some will not be happy about this comment but I would bring back Helf--we are not prepared well

We will never be that desperate

First half: too many giveaways: Dye fumble on an inappropriate run call on 2nd and 20, Hold negating great Pittman TD catch, D J Johnson error in fielding kickoff.  Also, unnecessary targeting by our LB...

Edited by Duckdude

Too many mistakes. Mistakes on the defense and special teams. Lets see what QB2 can do in the second half. 

3 minutes ago, Duckdude said:

We will never be that desperate

hmm, I thought Helf was a very good OC and so did Chip Kelly

4 minutes ago, 1Ducker1 said:

Not denying that.  But, was in over his head as Head Coach, imho.

7 minutes ago, 1Ducker1 said:

Chip called the plays. Helf was OC in name only.

This is starting to look like the Oregon State game.

3 turnovers.... No overcoming this against a solid team. 

Haven’t stopped an ISU drive once, so far(through 3rd qtr)

Wow, what a mistake prone team this is. Special teams is unbelievable. Katleman is the only bright spot.

Just now, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes

Caused by “coaching, coaching, coaching”?

Special teams don't appear to be coached or prepared!

Keystone Kops

3 minutes ago, ICamel said:

Chip called the plays. Helf was OC in name only.

we are not along way off from those days--things are not looking all that good. 

next years freshmen will also be inexperienced. and so will the year after.

Its going to take at least 3 years to build a good team. I just wished and hoped this team was better and the future was brighter sooner than later

Just now, Smith72 said:

Special teams don't appear to be coached or prepared!

Looks like more just critical mental errors. Coaching can correct them and prepare them ... But the fact that they keep on happening is on both the players and the coaches. 

Well...freshmen are inexperienced every year, by definition .

The bulk of the team,  more than 75%, has two or more years to grow and mature.

Just now, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Chip Kelly would have gone for it.

MC would normally go for it... Th y shouldn't have punted. If they want to get back into the game they can't punt. 

We caught the kickoff after their field goal!!  Woo-hoo!!!

6 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

MC would normally go for it... Th y shouldn't have punted. If they want to get back into the game they can't punt. 

You can’t call this a well coached team.  Pull starting QB after going 3for3?  Fumbles, negating penalties?  Grade school special team errors?  Questionable play calling.  Sorry.  Wish it weren’t so.  Especially at these rates.

Wow...........can you say snake bitten. 

This is ugly..........4 fumbles in the last 5 possessions I believe.

Lights out.

Put in a QB - which one I don't care - then stick with him.

I give up. The worst play call, over and over and over and over and...

Way too much time of possession for Iowa State. They are an experienced team that has played well!

This really illustrates how a team that plays a full season is more polished and plays better together.  PAC12 hosed the ducks again....

Well, Oregon lays an egg on the national stage. On offense, defense, special teams and on the sidelines.

Edited by jrw

Looking forward to Basketball game tonight.

Shoot, there was the Shough we have come to know. Throw it right to the other team at least once a game. 

Hopefully the Bball teams plays better here in a few hours or it will be a tough start to 2021 for the Oregon Ducks.

Take care folks. 

My wife just joined me for the last few minutes. As the TV showed a close up of Tyler Shough she said "that is the look of fear in his eyes:. He then promptly thru an interception.

Turned this joke of a game off... 

Uninspired mistake -riddled play. Sick to my stomach. So disappointed in the coaches that I was so exited about. Outcoached and outplayed. A new year bummer.

I would like to see Shough have success.  I feel for him.  But.....he is not performing time and time again.  Is it him, or the Coach’s play calling?

Frankly, another four or five games wouldn’t have made a difference.

As I intimated last night, we don’t have the horses.  This is not an experience thing.  We need guys the size of the Oregon grads that are NFL standouts.  

Armstead; Buckner; the set of 2014 and 2007 WRs.  Blunt; Rolls Royce; Ngata; Sewell;  Stewart; Herbert; Harris; Matthews;  and others that are built like NFL players.  

This group and the incoming recruits are too small.  They will elevate the program, but they are not enough.  We can start with the first two guys I mentioned above.  Bama, Clemson and Ohio State have six or seven guys that size on the defensive line.

Our receivers still don’t torch the best nationwide.  You can see it today.  Verdell is close, but Blunt, Stewart and Freeman are archetype bruisers with speed.

We have to get bigger and faster.  There isn’t enough juice or toughness that can match that caliber consistently in my opinion.  Maybe a semifinal victory, but I don’t see titles in our future.

Iowa State is tough, but they do not look like or perform like the Big 3.

Edited by Mike West

2 minutes ago, Mike West said:

Frankly, another four or five games wouldn’t have made a difference.

As I intimated last night, we don’t have the horses.  This is not an experience thing.  We need guys the size of the Oregon grads that are NFL standouts.  

Armstead; Buckner; the set of 2014 and 2007 WRs.  Blunt; Rolls Royce; Ngata; Sewell;  Stewart; Herbert; Harris; Matthews;  and others that are built like NFL players.  

This group and the incoming recruits are too small.  They will elevate the program, but they are not enough.  We can start with the first two guys I mentioned above.  Bama, Clemson and Ohio State have six or seven guys that size on the defensive line.

Our receivers still don’t torch the best nationwide.  You can see it today.  Verdell is close, but Blunt, Stewart and Freeman are archetype bruisers with speed.

We have to get bigger and faster.  There isn’t enough juice or toughness that can match that caliber consistently in my opinion.  Maybe a semifinal victory, but I don’t see titles in our future.

Iowa State is tough, but they do not look like or perform like the Big 3.

Totally agree. I think it's fair to say that next year will be just another year. Some good, some bad but not enough to make a statement.

Just turned the game off. We shot ourselves in the foot every which way. ISU is not a very good team. They just managed to methodically move the ball, and we couldn't. They ate the clock, wore out our defense, and wore down our spirit. Oregon was outreached and outplayed.

This has become a familiar problem for the Ducks. We can't win consistently and we look pretty lame. OU is not in the same league with Alabama, Ohio State or any of a dozen other programs. We couldn't even beat OSU and CAL. 

This loss reminds me of the letdown after the Alamo Bowl disaster. Only it's worse. Because we have some very talented players. And we are supposed to have good coaches. But this ... spectacle ... is going to hurt how Oregon is perceived, not to mention recruiting. I guarantee we are going to see a bunch of de-commits.

Outcoached.

9 minutes ago, Mike West said:

This is truly the case. When you watch Alabama, and Ohio State, those guys just don't look like our guys, every one of them is huge and fast. KT was the #1 recruit, and he doesn't look like the Alabama guys.

Mario is trying, the only way he can to get the players. But Alabama is still getting better players. It's going to be tough to catch up. 

With outings like this on national tv we aren't going to get the recruits you're talking about.

Congrats to Iowa State that was fun to watch a well coached team with a very good qb. They are also the type of team I like to watch be successful. They are a lot like the Ducks and show the future can be bright.

They have the same very good coaching staff with a group of players who have been together longer. Now we can be frustrated we didn't pick Purdy as our qb, but that is not how Oregon rolls anymore. We pick the elite talent and sometimes get the elite play.

Next season we may get that elite talent with our 5* recruit coming in. We no longer look to the diamond in the rough. I don't think we even signed one guy who wasn't lauded by the recruiting services. We either have the elite guy who makes it big at the college level, or just a guy who has some very good measurables.

Believe me I was frustrated, because I still love an underdog. Unfortunately we still lose to underdogs and we aren't an underdog anymore.

Also we lost 4-0, that was what mattered and the final score was 42-17, not 34-17

Edited by Haywarduck

And I'm beginning to have serious reservations about our coaching staff. 

That's even more serious.

It is pretty hard to win a game where you do not convert 3rd downs, and turn the ball over 5 times.  2 muffed kicks, 2 fumbles and an int.)

One team came to play. The other team came to execute plays.

Edited by PittDuck

11 minutes ago, tee duke said:

ISU is not a very good team.

ISU is a VERY GOOD team! Beat Oklahoma once and lost to that same Oklahoma team by just 6 points in the Big12 championship game.

Our Ducks lost to a better team today.

I'd like to give the Duck players a pass this year because of the circumstance from Covid, but I can't give the coaching staff a pass. 

When you're still running up the gut on 3rd and 2 and not getting it. When are you going to learn?

Even my wife, who knows enough about football even knew Likio was going to get the ball on a 3rd and 2 in the 4th qtr. She said why else would he be in there? 0 3rd down conversions in a game. 

I think thats a sign of something wrong.

49 minutes ago, Duckdude said:

Looking forward to Basketball game tonight.

That's the way to see the bright side of things. Both basketball teams are off to great starts,  and should just get better as the season goes on. 

2 minutes ago, ICamel said:

ISU is a VERY GOOD team! Beat Oklahoma once and lost to that same Oklahoma team by just 6 points in the Big12 championship game.

Our Ducks lost to a better team today.

The difference is that our Ducks are a 3/4 billion $$ team--I guess it shows that throwing $$ at something doesnt always bring results.

maybe 3 or 4 years down the road it will pay off? Personally I doubt it-but here's to hoping. I came from the old school of failure is failure.

No excuses--- If I was Mullen I would have waited for the bowl game to bring out the check book.

Im almost sickened at the way college ball pays out without regard  to success.---Mario Cristobal is just an O line coach-no more-less. 

11 minutes ago, 1Ducker1 said:

The difference is that our Ducks are a 3/4 billion $$ team

That would be $750,000,000. Show us the money!