Jon Joseph

ARE MARIO AND MOORHEAD MESHING?

When running RPO plays the QB and RB has to make the right decision. Keep the ball or hand off at the mesh point?

I don't think Mario and Moorhead are meshing? Moorhead was fired up to go against old foe Ohio State and called an outstanding game. He perfectly game planned for the Bucks D.

In the post-game presser after the AZ game,  after the O woefully underachieved,  Moorhead was blaze. He seemed to be completely disinterested and disengaged. Not the least bit troubled over the junk he put out on the field. No responsibility taken for running a good but not great running QB more often than his RBs.

Is something amiss between Mario and JM?

This is not what I expected from JM. This is not the O he ran and Penn St. This is not how he coached up McSorley who improved in every outing under JM's instruction. In the two years he has been in Eugene, we saw Shough regress during the season and it appears that we are now seeing the same with Brown?

Is Mario micro-managing JM and the O? Is the step down from being an HC in the SEC to being a coordinator in the Pac-12 a step that JM cannot gracefully take?

Of course, I am not inside the program so these are my guesses and certainly not what I know.

However, I do know with certainty, something is not clicking.

• Thumbs Up 2

A perfect ponder point my friend, as  no matter how we conjecture deliberate and contemplate the meshing of Cristobal and Morehead, we won't get an answer, except as you said, it "is not clicking" It seems, that the game at Ohio State was a 1 off, and aberration, that put the Ducks in the CFP.

The union of Cristobal and Morehead isn't the only thing that isn't clicking compared to the Ohio State game; from that mix of game plan, execution and attitude, the Ducks have delivered lackadaisical performances in the other 3. The defense, without KT, has a reason to not be as dominant, but something is definitely screwed up if Brown having more carries than does Verdell is the plan going forward. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Amen, as I feel that vibe too.  I can just hope for the best at this point because we do not know all the complicating variables in the locker room and coaches suite.

Mr. FishDuck

I don't think Oregon has a quarterback that can do what Moorhead wants to do right now. There really isn't much of a vertical passing game. 

If Brown is the QB and proves unable to make those downfield shots, I can see defenses opting to challenge Brown to take those shots (knowing he won't burn them) while bringing more of the defense forward to stop the run game and short passing game. 

Brown has run Moorhead's offense well enough to date but this offense has been a short to midrange offense looking at players getting lots of yards after the catch. 

There is a major learning curve happening with the players as well. Lets not forget how young this team is and how few games they have played. 

David, but the QB is good enough to run more than the RBs?

The OL that looked all world in Columbus can't get in synch? 

Other than for at Ohio State, in your opinion, has the play calling in 2021 been up to par? 

There are lots of young guys playing well coast to coast.

If he can't coach up Brown, how about coach up one of the talented QBs on the roster?

Obviously, he couldn't coach up Shough. Before he broke his collarbone last Saturday, Shough was playing well for Texas Tech. Shough regressed in 2020 and it looks like we are seeing the same from Brown?

I don't have any idea what the scheme on O is? Whatever it is, the O certainly is not playing in synch.

I do not in any manner mean to denigrate your excellent response. But the man is being paid over $1M a year. The O was inconsistent last season and now, with spring and fall practice is still inconsistent.

Is the guy trying? I see nothing to suggest that a year of maturity for the players is going to improve JM as a coach?

Again, this may not be all on JM? Is he being allowed to run the O and call the plays that he wants to call?

On 9/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, 30Duck said:

A perfect ponder point my friend, as  no matter how we conjecture deliberate and contemplate the meshing of Cristobal and Morehead, we won't get an answer, except as you said, it "is not clicking" It seems, that the game at Ohio State was a 1 off, and aberration, that put the Ducks in the CFP.

The union of Cristobal and Morehead isn't the only thing that isn't clicking compared to the Ohio State game; from that mix of game plan, execution and attitude, the Ducks have delivered lackadaisical performances in the other 3. The defense, without KT, has a reason to not be as dominant, but something is definitely screwed up if Brown having more carries than does Verdell is the plan going forward. 

I could not agree more with your analysis. It is SO puzzling.

Just a guess, but I think MC gave the keys over to JM for the tOSU game because of his experience playing the Buckeyes. 

The other 3 games not so much. That would explain Moorhead's lack of enthusiasm during the post game presser and it was a major lack of enthusiasm.

Edited by 1Ducker1

Turn it over against the #3 team in the country and no trust vs Fresno, the Sea Wolves and AZ?

1Ducker1 you could be right; but does THIS make the least bit of sense?

No, but its seems like its the way it is, especially after the post game presser JM did after Arizona.

Im not sure that keeping touches away from Verdell and Dye would be in a good Moorhead game plan.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:52 PM, Jon Joseph said:

does THIS make the least bit of sense?

Yikes.  Great point, as it does not.  It sure makes you wonder...

Mr. FishDuck

Back in 2017 I watched quite a bit Penn St Football and McSorley did run quite a bit but not nearly as frequently as AB is doing. Seems pretty risky to me.

I also think in a real Moorhead O game plan you would see Seven McGee get at least 5 or 6 touches per game, at least 2 in the 1st half.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:09 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Back in 2017 I watched quite a bit Penn St Football and McSorley did run quite a bit but not nearly as frequently as AB is doing. Seems pretty risky to me.

Verdell and Dye are not chopped liver, far from it.

But McSorley had an all world RB lining up behind him. 

JM had lots of tools to work with and he also had free access to the tool box.

On 9/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, Jon Joseph said:

JM had lots of tools to work with and he also had free access to the tool box

I wonder how much JM has free access to the tool box here?????

What we are seeing is what Shough did, and he was benched in favor of Brown. We now see the same thing and will Brown be benched?

Where does the problem emanate from, is the question. Is it the qbs, or is it the coaching?

Moorhead was at Penn State from the start of McSorley career and elevated the offensive output of the Penn State offense. McSorley had some growing pains, but became Penn State all-time leading qb. I think Moorhead is a very good qb coach. He also gave their RB Barkley plenty of touches.

I just hope one of the young guns is developing into our next great qb. I also remember he recruited Robby Ashford, who was considering going to MSU. The arrows seem to continue to point towards the guy we want to stay in the corner office and be the CEO! Quit messing with the offense!

On 9/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, Haywarduck said:

What we are seeing is what Shough did, and he was benched in favor of Brown. We now see the same thing and will Brown be benched?

I dont know but if he keeps running he is on a course to be injured.

On 9/30/2021 at 6:12 PM, 1Ducker1 said:
On 9/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, Haywarduck said:

I dont know but if he keeps running he is on a course to be injured.

So true, and very problematic. If it's by design, it doesn't make any sense. Is Brown reluctant to pass, favors running? He has to be dissuaded from that. Whatever is the genesis of Brown's running, it needs a course correction. 

I thought you guys were crazy on this topic,

but Moorhead not showing up today with a mystery illness has me wondering. 

Did he sit out in disagreement with Cristobal control?

or was he really sick?

not sure, but we could have used his play calling for sure 

We need Dog the Bounty Hunter to find our vertical passing game

I said it during the game, and I’ll say it again: there’s something odd about Moorhead’s absence.

A “non-covid related illness”?  When the commenters said they saw him on Thursday and he seemed fine?

Something doesn’t  feel right about this. 

Edited by jrw

They had some nice downfield plays, but Brown couldn't hit them.  So instead of putting in TT, they adjusted the plays, which worked mostly.  Those plays had Oregon receiver open, but the throws were off. 

What killed the Ducks was giving up passing completions to the other team.  This is what needs to get fixed. DeRuyter is messing up worse than Moorhead. 

Moorhead has aged, gained weight, and looks way older than 47, he looks 67.   All this adds up to stress, possibly with Cristobal.  I am thinking Joe had a heart attack.   Joe showed up in the LA times as the #1 choice for USC Coach, that could be in play here.  Something really does not feel right, I agree.

I find it plausible that JoMo strongly believes it’s time for a new QB (and his full offense) and MC overrules him. That would make for certain friction.