Charles Fischer

Stanford GameDay Thread: Go Ducks!

Let's go back to those 2 false start penalties and the throw into the ground by AB. Those were a large part of this fiasco.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, David Marsh said:

The reffing has been aweful in these last two mins. 

Oregon hasn't played great but that wasn't targeting... And why all of the sudden change what is acceptable okay for pass interference? 

looked like a push off to me

To be honest I hope Stanford wins.

Why would you hope that?

On 10/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, jrw said:

Why would you hope that?

wake them up

if they win they will still play very complacent football 

If KT was called for targeting that was targeting too. 

• Like 1

MC still doesn't know how to manage the game clock.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

To be honest I hope Stanford wins.

Happy?

• Thumbs Up 1

Give the assist to the Pac12 refs.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

in a weird way

This loss was totally on MC.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

at least we dont have to worry about Ga anymore

My point is why recruit top players if you cant make plays for them? it doesnt make any sense

• Thanks 1

Say what you want about the calls, the Ducks started to give it away during their last pathetic "drive" in regulation. 

I'm tired of the Ducks trying to run out the clock only to have it backfire. Might as well play to dominate,  not play to not lose. Keep the momentum instead of slow down and give the the D time to rest. That's what the Ducks did...gave them life.

KT was pushed.  Dolorus was in the air when the ball was released.  A player can't halt in mid air.  His momentum was carrying him forward. Late hits have be within reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

NEMESIS - the unescapable agent of someone's or something's downfall.

And hats off the the ref for calling PI on a play that had not been called all day.

• Like 1

the coaching on this team is pathetic and we have seen it for 3 years now. Its not going to get better.

• Thumbs Up 1

So who was calling the plays on offense?  MC?

or AB!

Thibs misses the next game and I'm concerned Verdell is out for the season. 

I honestly kind of hate when people blame refs for losing games, but hoo-boy, they sure did their best to make sure we lost today. To be fair, it should never have been as close as it was, and Mario bungled the endgame time-management yet again, but the refs sure did bail Stanford out on that last 4thQ drive. I think the refs alone accounted for 45 yards. Whatever. We were very clearly overrated and we all knew it. I still see a Rose Bowl in our future against a resurgent Michigan. It'll be fun to beat not only one, but two Big 10 blue bloods this year. GoDucks!

• Thumbs Up 2

personally I think Cristobal is a much worse coach than Helfrich.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, duckcz said:

I honestly kind of hate when people blame refs for losing games, but hoo-boy, they sure did their best to make sure we lost today. To be fair, it should never have been as close as it was, and Mario bungled the endgame time-management yet again, but the refs sure did bail Stanford out on that last 4thQ drive. I think the refs alone accounted for 45 yards. Whatever. We were very clearly overrated and we all knew it. I still see a Rose Bowl in our future against a resurgent Michigan. It'll be fun to beat not only one, but two Big 10 blue bloods this year. GoDucks!

well according to most fans on this board the Rose Bowl is a waste of time.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:54 PM, duckcz said:

He has done it every season as HC of the Ducks.  Why should we come to expect any differently now?  Was he napping while Saban was coaching the games at Bama?  He should have been taking notes.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, DuckIt said:

So who was calling the plays on offense?  MC?

Announcers said Jim Mastro. IMO it was any bodies guess.

I can't remember the last time Saban had to manage the clock. 😉

On 10/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Helfrich knew how to run the offense, but he let too many other things slide, like letting players skip out or cheat on their workouts.  I didn't have a problem with him as OC but as HC, he was cancer.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, nw777b said:

Say what you want about the calls, the Ducks started to give it away during their last pathetic "drive" in regulation. 

I'm tired of the Ducks trying to run out the clock only to have it backfire. Might as well play to dominate,  not play to not lose. Keep the momentum instead of slow down and give the the D time to rest. That's what the Ducks did...gave them life.

that is MC in a nutshell and has been for 3 years now

• Thumbs Up 3

If Oregon doesn't plummet to 15, it's because there is some algorithm that won't allow such fall. Still ❤ the Ducks and I see upside   just not where I hoped they would be this year. We lost tons of momentum due to Covid. 

Edited by nw777b

Well we can watch a real football game tonight Ore St vs WA. 

This is going to be a looooooooooong season. 

On 10/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, DuckIt said:

Helfrich knew how to run the offense, but he let too many other things slide, like letting players skip out or cheat on their workouts.  I didn't have a problem with him as OC but as HC, he was cancer.

and Cristobal?? come on we saw Stonybrook take on our linemen head to head. We did win a meaningless game but.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Look, Mario did not call the two false start penalties on the Ducks' last drive.

He did not call the two personal foul penalties on Stanford's last drive.

Sometimes the players screw up, and this time they did, big time.

Sure, Mario is no genius with the Xs and the Os, but the players play the game.

Also, I think the thing with Moorhead being absent is kinda strange. Commentators said they saw him on Thursday and he was fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I called a loss, was glad to be proven wrong, then...we managed to lose.  Poor play calling,  but should have won even with Moorhead out.  Poor discipline, poor clock management.  Not sure how we won in Columbus, we looked brilliant, but the other 4 games...not looking like a Top 10 team (if Top 25, really).  Young team, maybe this will be a humbling, learning experience for the players and coaches alike.

It's time to put in Ty Thompson, I all for AB to be successful but the future is now.  Ain't gonna be no playoff.  Rose Bowl?  Possible.

The writing was on the wall, but the Ohio State win had us all believing in a pipe dream. Well, this was the wake-up call. Deep down, none of us really thought we were a playoff caliber team this year. I was pulling for AB, but it turns out the haters were right. He's pedestrian. 

Edited by duckcz
  • Like 1

All Im saying is that our play has not been good except for tOSU---Our O has had trouble scoring and keeping possession of the ball even against better opponents?? or worse-you decide . Does this team look like a contender? Even next year? -well not in my opinion. 

In years past Stanford was a formidable opponent -this year they are down and we lost--just saying-and it all comes down to the head coach.

Supposedly according to ESPN we have the players--so you be the judge. 

On 10/2/2021 at 2:04 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

and Cristobal?? come on we saw Stonybrook take on our linemen head to head. We did win a meaningless game but.....

I'm not defending Cristobal.  I have been critical of him since he took over.  There has to be more to a HC than just recruiting and being likable.  Sure, he says all the right things but can he lead on the field?  The jury is still out on that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2021 at 4:55 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I’d have to say they’re tied.   And, not for anything good, adequate, or competent.  MC IS a great recruiter, but…….sheesh!  He is certainly no “offensive genius” or “great game manager”.  Seems lost when it comes to “crunch time decisions”.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:55 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

On 10/2/2021 at 5:26 PM, Duckdude said:

I’d have to say they’re tied.   And, not for anything good, adequate, or competent.  MC IS a great recruiter, but…….sheesh!  He is certainly no “offensive genius” or “great game manager”.  Seems lost when it comes to “crunch time decisions”.

well I never said Helf was a good head coach

This was a colaboritive losing effort.

Players, coaches and refs.

Improve one of the three and the Ducks win.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont think Cristobal is capable of leading any team to a NC title. He is too old school, unless he takes a lesson from Saban and moves into the future.

My take?

This is as good as it gets.  

Cristobal does not have the chops to build and maintain a title contender.  

Even when he had Ohio State on the ropes he cooled the jets.  It's his MO.  

He talks about power.  Champions Dominate.  Huge difference.

Cristobal might as well conduct Oklahoma Drills each and every practice.  That's about all his strategy and philosophy amounts to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:33 PM, Mike West said:

My take?

Even when he had Ohio State on the ropes he cooled the jets.  It's his MO.  

He talks about power.  Champions Dominate.  Huge difference.

Cristobal might as well conduct Oklahoma Drills each and every practice.  That's about all his strategy and philosophy amounts to.

wow you said it better than I have/ or could have. Thanks!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:33 PM, Mike West said:

Oh Mike....I respect your opinion SO MUCH due to our hours of intense football discussion, and when you are stating what I am feeling? It is not comforting ... it is crushing.

I want someone to tell me I'm wrong.

My FishDuck Friends, when you read my article tomorrow--please show me I am wrong.

Mr. FishDuck

well rightfully the way the are playing the will be dropped from the top 20

predicted this loss to all my green Kool aid drinking friends. Mario is going to be gone before his contract is up. Didn’t even watch the game because I knew that guy would manage to screw it up with his “play not to lose BS."  But I bet he wishes he hadn’t saved all that time for Stanford by not running as much clock as he could instead of stopping it on incomplete pass. This team needs someone running it who knows what he’s doing on everything but recruiting. and three years of his stupid decisions is enough for me. 3-4 losses this year and he won’t develop TT. Playing not to lose. Paging uncle Phil!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:32 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

This was a colaboritive losing effort.

Players, coaches and refs.

Improve one of the three and the Ducks win.

Ain’t that the truth… If AB could hit someone downfield, If the team was ready to play before the first half, If the Ducks had a winning offensive scheme, If the Ducks had a killer instinct, if the Ducks were prepared to play every down even when they believe the other team had a false start, if the refs didn’t hand the cardinal 2 major penalties at the end of game, if the Ducks utilized any clock management, if AB pitched the ball to CK verdell like he was supposed to, if the Ducks played with a culture of awareness, urgency, and hunger.  They would have won the game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I don't know what's more frustrating...having a QB that can't throw or a HC who is too obstinate and afraid to make the change?  MC needs to sack up and start TT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personal opinion as to why we lost: ( i know hindsight is easy but....)

1) adequate play from QB is not good enough.  We don't need great, but we do need more than just adequate. 

2) kick a field goal at end of first half 

3) clock management....don't give Stanford that extra timeout

4) lack of discipline on the last drive.  How many yards did we give them? 

Love MC and think he is a fine head coach but not a good game day coach. Get an experienced coach to manage game day. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1