FishDuck Article

Under Cristobal: No Promised Land Without Dramatic Changes

I wrote those words up in the title in the first month of Mario Cristobal‘s first season in 2018, and wrote them again in an article last year, that you would think was written right after this last game with Stanford. Same issues, same underperformance and same game management. Steward Mandell quoted my final line of that article for one ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Definitely agree that it's time to let TT start.  Now is the perfect time with a bye week and Cal coming to town....will give him 3 weeks before having to deal with the hyper-aggressive blitzing UCLA defense.  

• Thumbs Up 2

When do you move a player down?   ANSWER: When you are sure he isn't going to get better. 

Brown has had 5 games and this was his worst. 

Other players on the team have gotten better.  Some, I just don't think will be that great, but they still provide depth. 

The offense can change with a new QB.  The defense needs bigger changes.  Stanford drove 90 yds in 2 minutes.  All due to the wrong scheme. 

Helfrich did himself in when he hired Brady Hoke and stuck with him.  Why did they allow a first down on that 2nd and 15 or 20?  Just tackle them in bounds short of the chains and burn out the clock. 

Will Cristobal stick with Brown?   Will Cristobal stick with the defensive scheme that doesn't cover receivers?

------------------------------------------------

When Oregon used to lose 'big games' like  LSU and Ohio St before this year, they did it largely because their linemen couldn't compete.  But against Stanford, the Ducks had better linemen.  Oregon was taking over the game in the second half. 

Stanford won with a better QB and better offensive and defensive schemes.   Watching your favorite team underperform is hard.  All we want as fans is for this team to play up to their potential.  Then if they lose to Alabama or Georgia in the playoffs, we will say it was a good year just to get there. 

But this loss feels like the losses to Boise St.  We know we should be winning games like this. 

Just like my criticism with Brown, who isn't improving, Cristobal also isn't improving the schemes.  Many players are improving, which is very good. 

Dye and Verdell fought hard to break tackles and get extra yards - something missing from their game for a long time. 

There are still 7 games left plus another one or two, depending on how things go.  I want to see the schemes improve this year.  The defense took a downturn this year and the offense has been not good since Cristobal took over. 

This is a rebuilding year.  Not rebuilding the players, but rebuilding the identity of Oregon football and what the game plan is.  I just want to start seeing plays and schemes that make sense for modern college football. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, the adage about insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, is playing out with Mario's Ducks. We were nervous before the game against Stanford and watched as our fears were realized. Oregon never looked smooth on offense, the lack of Morehead certainly accounted for some of that, but with him or without him, Brown was still the QB.

The defense wasn't much better, until the 2nd half when Stanford was out of gas. But then the Ducks got started going down the one way street the wrong way, and Stanford yanked another one from Oregon. As bad as the PI was at the end of the game, the Ducks fell behind at the start all on their own.

The timing is perfect for Thompson to start against Cal after the bye. 

• Thumbs Up 3

There has been a lot of coach speak about fundamentals, competition, physical dominance, elite talent levels, family culture always pointing to the amazing potential of this Ducks team. As of today, it is just talk. Smoke and mirrors. When all the ingredients are in place and the cake falls in the oven, don't blame the oven. Under Helfrich and then Taggart I used to say the team was a Ferrari. It was up on blocks in the coaches garage waiting for a new set of spark plugs. That seems to still be the case.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with your view that the Ty Thompson era should begin. The Ducks have only played to their potential in one game, the win in Columbus. Time to make the move to the future. If we play like we have since the Ohio State game, losses to UCLA, UW, and Oregon State are very possible. 

I don't know if most have seen Ted Lasso, but Oregon is AFC Richmond if Ted actually coached. Ted isn't a soccer coach, just a great leader of men. He has no idea what a formation in soccer is or even how the game is played.

Mario is much like Ted Lasso. He is a great coach who is a leader of men. The difference is Ted knows he can't coach the sport. Until Mario steps aside and allows the coaches and the players he has put together to blend and mesh we will have the same outcomes Ted would have had if he wasn't so astute.

The great news is this is infinitely possible. Moorhead is a very good coach. I think DeRuyter is a good coach, we just need to see them coach. We also have the players they just have to be led on the field with the skill they deserve.

Mario needs to take a lesson from Ted and let the players play and the coaches who know what is going on coach. He needs to become that shrewd coach, or we are a bunch of screwed fans. Right now it's not looking good, Mario is the Peter principle in spades, but it doesn't have to stay that way.

When I was watching the end of the dawg, beav game I saw two coaches playing chess. Oh how I yearn for that type of thinking and those type of thought processes happening on our sideline, and that was one of the hardest statements to make so far on FD.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I'm hearing the announcers voice at the end of a Batman TV episode in my head...

"After another disappointing season at UCLA,  Chip Kelly might be looking for a new job!!!

Did he burn some bridges when he left Eugene with sanctions left in his wake?

Would he be able to Win The Day years later with a new Ducks team?

Would MC players enter the portal and would we see decommits? 

Would Helfrich and Scott Frost re-join Kelly for a remake of Batman, Robin, and Alfred? 

Stay tuned. Same Duck time. Same Duck channel."

Count me in for the switch to the Ty Thompson era. Oregon has not played well since the win in Columbus. As Duck loyalists we are used to having our dreams shattered, but yesterday's loss was as painful as I can remember. Inexcusable. If we play like we have been since returning from Ohio, it is likely that we could lose to UCLA, UW and OSU. It shouldn't be so, but it is a real possibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

On AB it is only going to get worse. When you have those kind of glaring holes in your game any defensive coordinator worth his salt is going to destroy Oregon's offense. AB was almost picked by the same guy on the same play twice, and that will only be the beginning of his downfall.

Much like a pitcher who fools teams when he first plays them. Teams start to figure out his game, and unless he is extremely wily the honeymoon is over and the pitcher is doomed. Anthony Brown's game isn't dynamic and he isn't crafty at all. 

Many were impressed with Shough's ability to run last year, I was one of them. It then became clear he was just panicking. The game was way too fast for him, and maybe he was just put in too fast.

It is becoming evident AB is also panicking, not making reads and just running. He has gotten lucky, but he is also down to less than 3 yds a run, teams are figuring him out.

We may have the same experience with one of the young guns, but we are going to have to work through the angst. It is time for the future, even if it is like Kellen Clemens first pass straight to a linebacker.  We can't have anymore 1-6 starts with an interception without an expected upside down the road. 

With AB there is no upside next year. He has given us, luckily, a good start, but it is time to move on to our future.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Once again, the perfect storm on a cloudless day down on the farm.

I agree, time for new blood at QB. a sixth year QB:

1) shouldn't be missing also most every long ball and where are the vertical calls?

2) mis-reading the D and getting stuffed at the goal line when Verdell would have walked in.

3) consistently throwing behind receivers over the middle.

With Moorehead, I think we win, but I still want to see more of a vertical game. Big time WR recruits must be re thinking their decisions.

But, we did have our Defensive coordinator, at least I think we did or was he on chicken soup duty for Moorehead?

The silver lining, uw can't pin the first L on us!

On 10/3/2021 at 3:16 AM, oregon112 said:

When Oregon used to lose 'big games' like  LSU and Ohio St before this year, they did it largely because their linemen couldn't compete.  But against Stanford, the Ducks had better linemen.  Oregon was taking over the game in the second half. 

Stanford won with a better QB and better offensive and defensive schemes. 

This is a GREAT observation that I was going to write about later, but you beat me to it.  "We will never win the big one with Chip because he cannot recruit the stud linemen needed."  Now it is, "we have the talent, but not the scheme, the coaching to go with it."  

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/3/2021 at 6:30 AM, duckncover said:

There has been a lot of coach speak about fundamentals, competition, physical dominance, elite talent levels, family culture always pointing to the amazing potential of this Ducks team. As of today, it is just talk.

Yes, the percentage of fans becoming less forgiving and seeing through the coach-speak is growing...

And duckncover....you are new, and do keep giving us your thoughts, post often and WELCOME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/3/2021 at 6:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

Mario needs to take a lesson from Ted and let the players play and the coaches who know what is going on coach. He needs to become that shrewd coach, or we are a bunch of screwed fans

Haywarduck...you are killing it with incredible comments.  Great insight that I agree with...whew!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/3/2021 at 7:05 AM, Duck 68 said:

Oregon has not played well since the win in Columbus.

You are new Duck 68, and I wish to welcome you and invite you to post often.

Mr. FishDuck

Also there was more than one positive, but how about Nate Heaukulani, 8 tackles!

A young man who could't get a look from any college out of high school, but worked, worked some more, then kept working and is now getting it done for Oregon, love, love this story!

CJ Verdell, just a warrior, I hope he gets back soon! I haven't been his biggest fan, but how can you not respect his work ethic, and just bleeding green and yellow!

• Thumbs Up 3

Charles, thanks for the tough to write 'mo(u)rning after observations.

I believe this statistic speaks for itself. I n the last 12 conference road games Mario Cristobal is 6-6.  This is generally in line with his overall record as G5/P5 head coach.

Something is not 'meshing.' The game plan is not being properly communicated to and executed by, the players.

Will 'this' change with another year of HC experience for Mario? Change due to the guys on the roster being a year older, but missing a guy like KT?

I'm not holding my breath. 

The problems are systemic. At the end of the day one person is responsible for systemic issues. That is the person in charge of the operation.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:16 AM, oregon112 said:

When do you move a player down?   ANSWER: When you are sure he isn't going to get better. 

Brown has had 5 games and this was his worst. 

Other players on the team have gotten better.  Some, I just don't think will be that great, but they still provide depth. 

The offense can change with a new QB.  The defense needs bigger changes.  Stanford drove 90 yds in 2 minutes.  All due to the wrong scheme. 

Helfrich did himself in when he hired Brady Hoke and stuck with him.  Why did they allow a first down on that 2nd and 15 or 20?  Just tackle them in bounds short of the chains and burn out the clock. 

Will Cristobal stick with Brown?   Will Cristobal stick with the defensive scheme that doesn't cover receivers?

------------------------------------------------

Stanford won with a better QB and better offensive and defensive schemes.   Watching your favorite team underperform is hard.  All we want as fans is for this team to play up to their potential.  Then if they lose to Alabama or Georgia in the playoffs, we will say it was a good year just to get there. 

But this loss feels like the losses to Boise St.  We know we should be winning games like this. 

Just like my criticism with Brown, who isn't improving, Cristobal also isn't improving the schemes.  Many players are improving, which is very good. 

Dye and Verdell fought hard to break tackles and get extra yards - something missing from their game for a long time. 

There are still 7 games left plus another one or two, depending on how things go.  I want to see the schemes improve this year.  The defense took a downturn this year and the offense has been not good since Cristobal took over. 

This is a rebuilding year.  Not rebuilding the players, but rebuilding the identity of Oregon football and what the game plan is.  I just want to start seeing plays and schemes that make sense for modern college football. 

Great observations. It is concerning that we saw a talented young QB retrogress last season. Seems  that we are witnessing the same with a CFB QB who is about as mature as one can get.

I thought from game 1 that Ty needed to see the field. I have seen nothing to change my mind. I just hope that TY will be coached up?

I am starting to think that Moorhead is more the OC he was at MS ST and not at Penn St when he had Barkley in the backfield?

On 10/3/2021 at 7:23 AM, Haywarduck said:

It is becoming evident AB is also panicking, not making reads

The interception wasn't even a missed read, he just didn't see the player in the red shirt, and later he didn't see another one, but the pass was so badly thrown the defender couldn't catch it either. 

I understand the angst and frustration and feel it myself but my emotions are directed in a different direction.

Would we still be this upset had the official kept his damn flag in his pocket when time expired on the game, as he clearly should have? It was obvious what happened if you watch the replay.

Possibly.......... but not having watched the first half probably did wonders for my point of view of the game. 

I saw a Ducks team come roaring back and look pretty good on O and D. Then I saw the referees make insanely suspect calls on KT's targeting and a PI call that decided the game. 

Therefore I am having a hard time finding ways to blame this loss on poor coaching or the players. My angst and frustration is directed at one thing and one thing only and that is the delegitimizing of college football by very poor officiating. The players and the coaches did their job and won the game......one jacka$$ decided it was his day to be a big man.....to be important.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:15 AM, cartm25 said:

Some observations / thoughts:

1) Oregon was ranked in the top 3 nationally and undefeated going into this game against Stanford. Historically speaking, were any of us really surprised by the result?

2) MC has managed to create an inverse relationship between recruiting class rankings and team performance/output.

3) I’ve seen a lot of “game management” comments. The second half of the game was dominated by Oregon. The two consecutive false start penalties committed by the offense on their “game winning” drive are not MC’s fault.

4) RE: overall game/team management, the offensive philosophy of grinding out wins with physicality and toughness generally means closer games with less margin for error. That is all on MC. I’d rather an opponent be mentally and emotionally defeated in the first half because they’re down by three scores, than be physically exhausted at the end, but have hope because it’s still only a one-score game.

5) KT did not commit a targeting foul. Refs had an outsized impact on the game when they kicked him out.

6) As long as MC continues to recruit lights out, this is the best way. Less planets have to align to win a NC for a team with stellar recruits and subpar system/philosophy than a team with the opposite scenario. Eventually, enough good players and good assistants will overcome MC and his Jurassic-Era brand of football. Think Ed Orgeron with LSU; good recruiter with old school philosophy. Eventually his players and assistants were good enough to overcome him.

You can’t recruit your way out of this mess because Cristobal will alway run up against a coach who can coach, strategize, and recruit.  As of now, we will be the SC of the north until the memory of the blur offense fades and more people see through Mario’s promise of “keeping of the Oregon offense tradition but tougher”.   When people catch on the ratings, sales, and recruits will dry up.  One caveat, I believe that he will be able to recruit defensive talent for the foreseeable future.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, Pocketchange said:

One caveat, I believe that he will be able to recruit defensive talent for the foreseeable future.

Ouch!  Pocketchange...that is superb gallows humor!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/3/2021 at 9:13 AM, C J said:

The players and the coaches did their job and won the game......one jacka$$ decided it was his day to be a big man.....to be important.

I understand what you're saying. If the Ref hadn't made the call, the Ducks would have won. But it would have been the ugliest of the 5 this season. The Ducks got called for targeting on the opening kickoff! Scored 7 in the first half. On the Ducks final drive, Brown threw a pass when an incompletion stops the clock. When Stanford had to go 95 yards in the final minutes, the Ducks gave them 30 of them with penalties.

It was a bad call by the Ref, but I feel like the Ducks made more bad moves before that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Now that the playoff bubble has popped, does this team have the character to play hard the rest of the season?

Why have highly-rated wide receivers if the ball is never thrown?

How can Mario justify not starting Thompson now?

What is up with Moorhead and this "non-covid-related illness"?

How much of this loss is on the players?

Was the Ohio State game Oregon's true potential or a fluke?

Edited by jrw

On 10/3/2021 at 9:36 AM, jrw said:

Was the Ohio State game a fluke?

1 time out of 10, Oregon will beat Ohio State?

On 10/3/2021 at 9:35 AM, 30Duck said:

I understand what you're saying. If the Ref hadn't made the call, the Ducks would have won. But it would have been the ugliest of the 5 this season. The Ducks got called for targeting on the opening kickoff! Scored 7 in the first half. On the Ducks final drive, Brown threw a pass when an incompletion stops the clock. When Stanford had to go 95 yards in the final minutes, the Ducks gave them 30 of them with penalties.

It was a bad call by the Ref, but I feel like the Ducks made more bad moves before that.

Yes, but I stand pat on the fact that the Ducks did what they had to do and won the game. This is an illegitimate loss (or victory for Stanford) in my mind. 

Granted they may have played ugly in the first half, but what I watched in the second half was pretty solid, I mean they won 17-0 in the second half. Definitely should not have thrown an incomplete pass on 2nd and 18 with less than 2 minutes in the game.....no doubt that was a bad play call, but if it had worked then I guess we would be having a different conversation.

I guess I am just wondering how much of this anger and angst towards Coach and the players would be happening if the correct call on the field had been made. Insidious are the things that divide.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:47 AM, C J said:

Yes, but I stand pat on the fact that the Ducks did what they had to do and won the game. This is an illegitimate loss (or victory for Stanford) in my mind. 

Granted they may have played ugly in the first half, but what I watched in the second half was pretty solid, I mean they won 17-0 in the second half. Definitely should not have thrown an incomplete pass on 2nd and 18 with less than 2 minutes in the game.....no doubt that was a bad play call, but if it had worked then I guess we would be having a different conversation.

I guess I am just wondering how much of this anger and angst towards Coach and the players would be happening if the correct call on the field had been made. Insidious are the things that divide.

I have seen many articles and comments discussing Cristobal’s prevent offense.  With the talent the Ducks had, they should have never been behind Stanford.  The horrific calls by the refs were just icing on the cake.

Here is what would have saved the game.  A fast acting offense that could eat up chunks of yardage on the ground.  Say, if you are 1 & 20 with 3 min to go on the clock, you should still be a threat with the run game against Stanford’s run defense.  

They aren’t and that is a systematic problem.

Cristobal’s offense is built so that if anything goes wrong- it breaks down.  The penalties are not the problem.  The inability to overcome the penalties is the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:36 AM, jrw said:

Now that the playoff bubble has popped, does this team have the character to play hard the rest of the season?

Why have highly-rated wide receivers if the ball is never thrown?

How can Mario justify not starting Thompson now?

What is up with Moorhead and this "non-covid-related illness"?

How much of this loss is on the players?

Was the Ohio State game Oregon's true potential or a fluke?

To continue the questions…

How many bandwagon fans jump off the bandwagon now?

How loud does the cry to “Dump Mario” get?

When does GK to something about the abysmally poor referees deciding the outcome of PAC 12 games? 

When will the targeting rule be fixed?

The Pac-12 refs have a history of being inadequate at best. This was know before the game started. Greatness never lets incompetence of another effect the outcome of their desired path. They plan for it, and never put themselves in a situation where it can effect their goal.

There was much ineptitude on and off the field, we can't isolate the mistakes of the refs as the cause of our demise. The cause was on the sideline, and was on the field, it rests with the leadership of the Oregon Football Program. 

In order for us to have a different outcome we need to see a shift in how our program is led on and off the field. The Oregon Football Program isn't going to change, but there needs to be a metamorphosis in how we play football. A new qb will be a start, but we need to see a striking alteration in how we play the game of football at Oregon.

If we blame the refs, that sea change is never going to happen. We should fear blame and accept responsibility, while seeking truth!

I mean power football is fine, but how do you justify lining up your qb 5 yds away from the line of scrimmage when the qb sneak is known to have an 89% success ratio in the situation at the end of the half? You took something which had a 90% chance of success and gave it little chance, this is madness. There is a massive disconnect between intelligent power football and what we are seeing. Even if you accept power football as the answer, it is the decision making process which is the problem, plain and simple.  

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 10:27 AM, Haywarduck said:

The Pac-12 refs have a history of being inadequate at best. This was know before the game started. Greatness never lets incompetence of another effect the outcome of their desired path. They plan for it, and never put themselves in a situation where it can effect their goal.

There was much ineptitude on and off the field, we can't isolate the mistakes of the refs as the cause of our demise. The cause was on the sideline, and was on the field, it rests with the leadership of the Oregon Football Program. 

In order for us to have a different outcome we need to see a shift in how our program is led on and off the field. The Oregon Football Program isn't going to change, but there needs to be a metamorphosis in how we play football. A new qb will be a start, but we need to see a striking alteration in how we play the game of football at Oregon.

If we blame the refs, that sea change is never going to happen. We should fear blame and accept responsibility, while seeking truth!

I mean power football is fine, but how do you justify lining up your qb 5 yds away from the line of scrimmage when the qb sneak is known to have an 89% success ratio in the situation at the end of the half? You took something which had a 90% chance of success and gave it little chance, this is madness. There is a massive disconnect between intelligent power football and what we are seeing.  

Its mind boggling and frustrating.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:32 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Its mind boggling and frustrating.

But it's like complaining about the opponent stars running back, just take care of your game and your won't have to play the blame game. You know he is going to be playing plan to make sure he doesn't dictate the game.

You can't just say if 'x' wasn't playing we would have won. Right now Oregon is one little, or maybe not so little mistake away from having to play the what if card. We can't be that kind of program.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:05 AM, 30Duck said:

Yeah, the adage about insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, is playing out with Mario's Ducks. We were nervous before the game against Stanford and watched as our fears were realized. Oregon never looked smooth on offense, the lack of Morehead certainly accounted for some of that, but with him or without him, Brown was still the QB.

The defense wasn't much better, until the 2nd half when Stanford was out of gas. But then the Ducks got started going down the one way street the wrong way, and Stanford yanked another one from Oregon. As bad as the PI was at the end of the game, the Ducks fell behind at the start all on their own.

The timing is perfect for Thompson to start against Cal after the bye. 

This goes beyond personnel.

There is a QB in his second year in the NFL that is better than TT.  His name is Justin Herbert.

Many a person will disagree with my premise.

Justin Herbert has a natural feel for the game that TT lacks.  Despite my "belief" in the extraordinary JH, he struggled  immensely under MC's tenure as HC.

There is a "structural flaw" in MC's program.  It's a mental aspect that so far is a  constant factor one should consider as the reason Oregon has reached its peak as a title contender.   

You don't see that flaw in perennial championship caliber teams.  

Until that flaw is destroyed, the pattern we see emerge ever so consistently will continue.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Coaches need to understand their players  strengths and weaknesses. It is imperative that they do so, and coach accordingly. QB Anthony Brown is an adequate QB, but adequate is not enough here.  He does not have to be great, or even pretty good.  He does need to be good. Historically, he completes 50 to 55 percent of his passes....and this is as a 6 yr player. We don't need 75 percent accuracy, but 50 %, with balls thrown consistently behind the receivers, with not being able to be accurate for the most part past 5 to 7 yards is NOT WORKING.

As coaches need to understand the players weaknesses and make adjustments, they need to understand their own. This is where I see major flaws in MC.  He is one of the best recruiters in college football, he is a man of good character , intense work ethic and more, but he is either blind to certain things about his own strengths and weaknesses or just plain stubborn. Whichever it is, i don't care, but unless he can fix that problem by first acknowledging it and then doing something about it, we are going to continue to see the head coach contributing to our losses . 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, webfootfan said:

unless he can fix that problem by first acknowledging it and then doing something about it, we are going to continue to see the head coach contributing to our losses . 

Powerful...whew!  And true.  GREAT post.

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/3/2021 at 10:45 AM, Mike West said:

There is a QB in his second year in the NFL that is better than TT.  His name is Justin Herbert.

Justin Herbert has a natural feel for the game that TT lacks.  Despite my "belief" in the extraordinary JH, he struggled  immensely under MC's tenure as HC.

There is a "structural flaw" in MC's program.  It's a mental aspect that so far is a  constant factor one should consider as the reason Oregon has reached its peak as a title contender.   

Until that flaw is destroyed, the pattern we see emerge ever so consistently will continue.

Mike...you say there's a "structural flaw" in the Oregon program, but don't really identify what that flaw is, other than it's mental.

Can you clarify what you think the flaw is?

Mike West - 'structural flaw' nails it.

We see highly touted recruits not coming together to play team ball.

2 false starts on what should have been a game sealing drive. If that's not on coaching then who or what is it on?

That is simply undisciplined play. Undisciplined play that cannot be excused by the age of the roster.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Mike West - 'structural flaw' nails it.

We see highly touted recruits not coming together to play team ball.

2 false starts on what should have been a game sealing drive. If that's not on coaching then who or what is it on?

That is simply undisciplined play. Undisciplined play that cannot be excused by the age of the roster.

I'm honestly asking this question: why are false start penalties not the fault of the players? Why is the coach to blame for them?

Is David Shaw a poor coach because the Cardinal had - what? - at least 6 false start penalties in the game?

It seems to me that, because the coach is the only person who can be fired, that the coach takes a disproportionate share of the blame. Maybe that comes with the territory, but still.

*This was in response to DuckIt’s post on FISHDUCK.

In previous posts I have mentioned Oregon’s propensity to lay an egg, or two, at some point during the season, often on the road, would once again detail their season. Yesterday it happened. I’m pretty sure they will lose another game or two.

Have you ever heard anyone say they were out coached by Cristobal? Certainly out-recruited, but never out-coached. His coaching is really hurting this group of 4 and 5 star players, whose raw talent and ability is being squandered by insisting  on playing smash mouth football, instead of taking advantage of his players’ athletic gifts. He is coaching them down, not up.

The quarterback position has reached a crisis point. A change must be made, immediately. Two weeks to the next game….. make the change now. Get Thompson ready. He’ll make his own share of mistakes, for sure, but no more than Brown is making now, and he will gain valuable experience. The Ducks need to make use of their talented young receivers, who with a strong armed, more accurate QB, will be able to stretch the field and open up the offense.

And DuckIt you mentioned KT, Sewell and Flowe, all fabulous players whose ability is showcased every week. Why? Because they play defense! You can’t stifle their speed, tenacity, strength, drive. Well, perhaps we have offensive players that may rival their ability, but under Cristobal’s antiquated coaching we may never know. He’s recruiting 4 and 5 stars and turning them into 3 stars.

Last week I posted that despite being 4-0, “Why do I feel the sky is about to fall?”

Well, it fell and it may fall again unless the Ducks make some blatantly obvious necessary changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a "structural flaw" in MC's program.  It's a mental aspect that so far is a  constant factor one should consider as the reason Oregon has reached its peak as a title contender

I wholly agree with this as we all saw how badly MC used Justin Herbert. The QB is probably the most visible player on the team so its easy to see, it also makes you wonder about other positions as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, 30Duck said:

but the pass was so badly thrown the defender couldn't catch it either. 

Good point. Man, the truth hurts.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, DUCKED said:

*This was in response to DuckIt’s post on FISHDUCK

Have you ever heard anyone say they were out coached by Cristobal? Certainly out-recruited, but never out-coached.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:11 AM, DUCKED said:

Ohio State was out-coached by Cristobal's staff, and through that Cristobal. My bet is it wouldn't happen again as it is painfully obvious to just about everyone the programs weakness, except the one guy in charge, who can't seem to see it. Maybe he will, but he was out-coached yesterday.

I quote, "Rallying around the absences of multiple key players, the Ducks played inspired football, while Ohio State was flat. Head coach Mario Cristobal and his staff completely outcoached and outclassed Ryan Day and the Buckeyes."  https://sportsnaut.com/oregon-stunning-upset-over-no-3-ohio-state/

My apologies if I am repeating points made previously. I am getting to this discussion a bit late. 

Despite the absences of Morehead, Forsyth and Bennett Williams, despite the spotty play of QB Brown and despite the unsuccessful 4th down play at the goal line in the first half, according to ESPN Oregon had a 99.9% chance of victory with about 2:30 minutes remaining in the game. The 0.1% chance came to pass because of three things working in conjunction: 

1. The two false start penalties in a quiet stadium that left Oregon facing a 1st down and 20 situation with about 2:15 remaining. 

2. The incomplete pass thrown on second and seventeen in that sequence. 

3. Three calls by the officials within the last 90 seconds, any one of which would have be considered highly questionable. 

Conclusion: the game was not a masterpiece, but Oregon played well enough to win under anything resembling normal circumstances. 

This was a painful defeat, but I think that we ought to be cautious about drawing sweeping conclusions at this stage.  

You're correct again Charles. 

It's time for Mr. Thompson to take the reins. I too thought AB could get it done, but alas, not so.

With CJ most likely gone for the season, we need a qb that can throw the ball down field.

Having 2 weeks before a weak Cal game seems the perfect time. Be a head coach MC, make the change!

Injuries and youth aside, this team looks weak at times. Huge upside but not there yet. 

My best predictors for winning football are Run the ball, stop their run, pressure the qb.

The Ducks don’t consistently dominate at any of those. 

two first downs needed late in the game. Control your destiny. The offense should have won this game.

That they couldn’t only reinforces the idea that the offense isn’t really that good.

Now that the playoff aspirations are essentially done, is it time to start giving younger players real snaps? WR, RB, QB? 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:16 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

two first downs needed late in the game. Control your destiny. The offense should have won this game.

Absolutely.  My axiom..."first downs at the end of the game are as important as touchdowns earlier in the game."

And if Brown would have pitched to an open Verdell on the play before half...Oregon would have been up 14 points at the end and this is all moot.

And great to see you here again.  The gang are all coming back!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Spot on Charles, and Canzano was spot on today too...

Its time for a change at QB1, no offense anthony but it's TY time, we can't get to the promised land with 50 percent passing 

On 10/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, Haywarduck said:

Ohio State was out coached by Cristobal’s staff….

I have to agree…..that was an excellent coaching job by Cristobal and his staff. What the hell has happened since then?

“Justin Herbert has a feel for the game that TT lacks.” How do we know? Let’s put the kid in there and see what he can do.

• Thumbs Up 1