Haywarduck

Will there be a bye week change?

The question, to me, is will the coaching staff make any changes during the bye week. It comes down to does the staff think we are just fine, the refs just made a mistake. We should be right there with Alabama and Georgia, or do they see an opportunity/need to make some changes?

A bye week is an opportunity to put in Butterfield or Ty with time to get use to 1st team reps. I think it would be a bold move, but a positive move and one that speaks to the future of the program. The future will be one of these guys, it is just, will it start this week, or next season. 

I doubt it will happen, but what do others think will happen with the qb position going forward? Many have predicted an injury would be the only way AB gets benched, but last week showed some continued big weaknesses. Will the Cal game in two weeks be a time to let AB get his game back together, or time for a new beginning?

Last year when Shough's statistics reach these depths we saw AB hit the field. Will history repeat itself with AB hitting the 30 QBR? Seems to me we are still looking for our savior behind center, will we go looking again, this week?

On 10/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, Haywarduck said:

A bye week is an opportunity to put in Butterfield or Ty with time to get use to 1st team reps.

I completely agree; that, and Cal might be the weakest team left on our schedule as WSU held them to six points on their home field.

I am for more....freshmen receivers, freshman QB, we are already using freshmen TEs, and now let's make use of freshmen running backs with Verdell's injury.  Build for the future!  (And they might be pretty good right now!)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, Haywarduck said:

The question, to me, is will the coaching staff make any changes during the bye week. It comes down to does the staff think we are just fine, the refs just made a mistake. We should be right there with Alabama and Georgia, or do they see an opportunity/need to make some changes?

A great question, the bye week, at an opportune time, is a seminal moment for Oregon Football under Mario Cristobal. If he sticks with, "We have to work harder" then we have Sisyphus for a vcoach, forever pushing the boulder up the side of a mountain.

I believe it would be a positive move to bring in Thompson, or Butterfield. Brown was named the starter because of his experience. But that's a low ceiling to be leading a Top 10 team. Changing the QB isn't the only change Cristobal could make, but it would be a sign that he's open to new ideas. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree starting Thompson (or Butter's) from here on out is the correct coaching move.

Do I think Coach will do that? Nope. 

He doesn't see things the way we are seeing them. He is way more conservative than how many of us would approach our strategy to win football games. Therefore I think he sticks with his decision.

It will be a huge mistake though. Not because I necessarily think Thompson (or Butter's) will give us that much better of a chance of winning now, but because it will hold us back from being successful next year. 

To add to it we also need to see a lot more Thornton, Benson and Cardwell.

Edited by C J

Here is what I think they should do. 

Cal is bad and DeRuyter knows their offense, so experimentations are free to be made the next game. 

QB:  play each one for one quarter:  Thompson, Butterfield, Ashford, then Brown.  Take long shots and see who can hit the targets. 

RB:  rest Dye and play the other 3

LB:  build depth

WR: play them all and Thornton too

Defense -  take away those short easy throws - make them beat you some other way

• Thumbs Up 1

Regardless of who plays QB after the bye, I think the most important thing is to see how the team plays vs. Cal. Do they come out strong, play smart and penalty free football. OR do they come out looking like the same? 

Either way, I think we’ll be able to tell what the identity of this team is and what to except for the rest of the season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Autzen said:

Regardless of who plays QB after the bye, I think the most important thing is to see how the team plays vs. Cal. Do they come out strong, play smart and penalty free football. OR do they come out looking like the same? 

Either way, I think we’ll be able to tell what the identity of this team is and what to except for the rest of the season. 

I saw the Ducks playing the hardest yesterday that I saw them play all season.  These players play hard.  You can't stop all penalties, its just not possible.  What is going to be the identity of the coaching staff?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 7:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I completely agree; that, and Cal might be the weakest team left on our schedule as WSU held them to six points on their home field.

I am for more....freshmen receivers, freshman QB, we are already using freshmen TEs, and now let's make use of freshmen running backs with Verdell's injury.  Build for the future!  (And they might be pretty good right now!)

Sans the Ohio State game where he executed a great game plan, but still completed less than 50% of his passes, Brown has played the way his history said he would play.

And not to demean his effort in Columbus, but who were those guys on the OL? Has anyone seen them since?

At OH ST was the 1st time Brown has started against and defeated a top 25 opponent. He had chances to do so in the ACC and failed. 

He is doing his best but his best is not good enough to lead to a title and to elevate the talent around him.

Of course I am not there at practice, thank goodness, eh Ducks fans, but I can't believe that one of the younger, more talented on paper QBs cannot beat out Brown?

In general, I am concerned about QB development under Mario. Justin Herbert's talent was never allowed to show. Shough retrogressed as the 2020 season went on. Brown also seems to be retrogressing? 

And Thompson, Butterfield, Ashford are not capable of being coached up?

As you so correctly noted, the team has talent at WR and TE that is being wasted. 

How many games until Ty Thompson’s redshirt is burned?  

Would he want to be a four year player after this season?

On 10/4/2021 at 12:07 PM, Duck1984 said:

How many games until Ty Thompson’s redshirt is burned?  

He can play in three more and retain his redshirt.  I'd like to see him play three games and then see--

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck