oregon112

What do you think is the best possible upside for the Ducks this season?

Play one of the talented freshmen QBs.  Lock down the short pass defense especially over the middle.  Expand the offensive playbook. 

Ducks could win out while everyone else knocks each other off.   Outside shot at playoffs.  KT turns it on 2nd half of season - is Heisman contender.  Noah is All-American.  Pittman has some great punt returns instead of just pointing at the ball. 

I don't want to even think about the lowest possible downside. We have seen it at the end of last year. 

In 2014, Ducks went to the natty with one loss 31-24 to Az, also on Oct 2nd.  They climbed back in the polls to #2 as other teams kept on losing. Mich St was #7 at the time, so that big win took some of the sting out of the lone conference loss. 

Its not over yet.  Next loss though, it will be. Ducks are still in this thing if they can pull it together. But they need better passing, whoever the QB is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There certainly is no lack of incentive for the team the rest of the season. Did the loss to Stanford take "the target off their back" , do they now not "get everybody's best shot"? Alabama thrives on those pressure points. But Oregon's best game of the season came when they had nothing to lose.

The bye comes at a perfect time, right after a loss where weaknesses were exposed and two weeks to make changes before the next game. The upside is that the Ducks can still reach the expectations that were set before the season started; should still be favored in the rest of their games, but could lose any of them if the flaws haven't been addressed. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:30 AM, 30Duck said:

There certainly is no lack of incentive for the team the rest of the season. Did the loss to Stanford take "the target off their back" , do they now not "get everybody's best shot"? Alabama thrives on those pressure points. But Oregon's best game of the season came when they had nothing to lose.

The bye comes at a perfect time, right after a loss where weaknesses were exposed and two weeks to make changes before the next game. The upside is that the Ducks can still reach the expectations that were set before the season started; should still be favored in the rest of their games, but could lose any of them if the flaws haven't been addressed. 

Your second paragraph....    NAILED IT!

First I do want to thank you oregon112, for bringing us great topics for discussion as well as your thoughts about the football side of things.  Fun to learn from others...

I am now at the same spot I was at the beginning of the season; I have no idea what will happen!  The margin of possibilities is vast, as there is a high upside, but there could also be some significant slippage as teams see how easy it is to defend us.  I really have no idea, and my spin I'm selling to myself is how it will be great entertainment to see what happens!

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

First I do want to thank you oregon112, for bringing us great topics for discussion as well as your thoughts about the football side of things.  Fun to learn from others...

I am now at the same spot I was at the beginning of the season; I have no idea what will happen!  The margin of possibilities is vast, as there is a high upside, but there could also be some significant slippage as teams see how easy it is to defend us.  I really have no idea, and my spin I'm selling to myself is how it will be great entertainment to see what happens!

I have an idea.  It all depends on how stubborn Cristobal is.  Moorhead and DeRuyter are pros at Xs and Os. Will Mario listen?  Or does he tell them what to do and not want any feedback?  

The changes are obvious.  Change QBs.  Incorporate some downfield passing to take the pressure of the line of scrimmage. And start covering the short passes, especially over the middle. 

The coordinators are experienced pros - they can do this.  Will Mario let them? 

I also will be watching just to see if and what changes occur in the Cal game and beyond. Fresno St figured out how to move the ball on the Ducks.  And now Stanford figured out how to defend the Ducks. 

If no changes are made, then the rest of the pac12 already has the blueprint on how to play the Ducks.  So it could get better, or it could get real bad. 

What I don't want to see:  Same old same old vs Cal and a one score victory.   I hope the team surprises us all and shows us the changes that we want to see. 

This team is really not that far from being a top 5 team - potentially. 

IMO this seasons toast as far as the CFP goes. Ducks will be lucky to make the Rose. Too many issues going on right now and with UT, UCLA, WA and Ast on the road I just don't see an upside to the season. Looks like Verdell may be out for the season. JM is still in the hospital. AB's error prone. Lots of key injuries. Way too many obstacles to overcome for the season to have a happy ending. Everyone keeps saying if this or that changes then the Ducks will get better.

When's the last time you saw big changes? I haven't seen any consistency in the last 3 seasons. Except for the run up the gut play. The only thing consistent is the inconsistencies. 

Is the sky falling? No but it ain't bright and sunny either. 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:59 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

IMO this seasons toast as far as the CFP goes. Ducks will be lucky to make the Rose. Too many issues going on right now and with UT, UCLA, WA and Ast on the road I just don't see an upside to the season. Looks like Verdell may be out for the season. JM is still in the hospital. AB's error prone. Lots of key injuries. Way too many obstacles to overcome for the season to have a happy ending. Everyone keeps saying if this or that changes then the Ducks will get better. When's the last time you saw big changes? I haven't seen any consistency in the last 3 seasons. Except for the run up the gut play. The only thing consistent is the inconsistencies. 

Is the sky falling? No but it ain't bright and sunny either. 

I'll give up for the season IF I don't see any big changes in the Cal game.  It is clear to everybody that big changes need to be made.  Oregon can still be a one loss team.  There are 3 talented RBs to replace Verdell and there are 3 talented QBs to replace Brown.  Dollars may come back soon?

But if I see the same old crap in two weeks, then I am throwing in the towel. 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, oregon112 said:

This is the case isn't it? For all the success Mario has had at Oregon, his future really comes down to what he does the next two weeks without a game being played. 

On 10/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, 30Duck said:

This is the case isn't it? For all the success Mario has had at Oregon, his future really comes down to what he does the next two weeks without a game being played. 

And that's pretty much why I don't see an upside. I have not been shocked by changes except for the Ohio St game. I really thought this was going to be the year. It wasn't like we blew out some podunk team by 60 points. We beat Thee Ohio State after going 0-8 against them. Maybe they're a little overrated? But certainly they'd beat most teams in the P12. Then we nose dive in the next 3 games. Whats gives? I'm just not seeing a positive pattern developing. I like roller coaster rides but only at the amusement park. 

Edited by GODUCKS15

On 10/4/2021 at 4:34 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

And that's pretty much why I don't see an upside. I have not been shocked by changes except for the Ohio St game. I really thought this was going to be the year. It wasn't like we blew out some podunk team by 60 points. I'm just not seeing a positive pattern developing. 

And we got outcoached in 2019 by Az St - when winning out would have made it a playoff year.  Ducks had a lot of future NFL talent that season. 

I'll give up for the season IF I don't see any big changes in the Cal game.  It is clear to everybody that big changes need to be made.  Oregon can still be a one loss team.  There are 3 talented RBs to replace Verdell and there are 3 talented QBs to replace Brown.  Dollars may come back soon?

Agree on the RB's but if AB starts then it the SOS. I will be totally shocked if TT starts. 

Edited by GODUCKS15

Then you better get the towel ready.  He isn't going to change...

Please consider the morphing I am doing as a fan to keep my sanity and my loyalty to Our Beloved Ducks!

Mr. FishDuck

I think if we could get better QB play, run a more up tempo O as well as get a few more guys back on D And let MOORHEAD Run the O we have a good chance to win out the PAC.

On 10/4/2021 at 5:39 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think if we could get better QB play, run a more up tempo O as well as get a few more guys back on D And let MOORHEAD Run the O we have a good chance to win out the PAC.

A very low probability of all that happening, but it could...and it is a nice vision for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A very low probability of all that happening, but it could...and it is a nice vision for me.

I think its pretty low probability too.  All you have to do is look at Herbert with the Chargers and see the MC isnt too big on QB play

• Like 1