FishDuck Article

The Time is Now For a New Quarterback

On 10/6/2021 at 11:47 AM, Knobby Bobby said:

Three of the past seven years we had grad student transfers as starters. Six years ago they benched Dakota Prukoff at this point of the season in favor of a freshman, Justin Herbert. That turned out ok. Thompson is higher rated and has been in the system long enough. Brown has no upside, this is his 6th year, so give the kid a shot. Ducks still have an outside shot at the CFP but realistically it might be the Rose Bowl vs Penn State. That would be cool. 

True, however the situation at that time was vastly different.  At that point, Oregon had already lost 3 games and had to face the realization that they were not going to win the Pac12.  So they abandoned the season and switched to developing Herbert for the next season.

Oregon is not in the same situation this year, they're still ranked in the top 10 with realistic chances of winning the Pac12, the Rose Bowl, and an outside chance at the CFP.  I don't think the decision to swap AB for an inexperienced freshman is as cut and dry as you think.

According to Duckwire, it sounds like Brown is going to continue as the starting quarterback.  Either Cristobal is just incredibly stubburn, or the three freshman just aren't ready or aren't that good.

Without media at practices, we'll never know how close the other 3 are to AB.  Too bad, Cal is the perfect set up to try someone new in the first half, and it that doesn't work, someone else in the second half, since we seem to already know what we have in Brown, and it ain't special.

Thanks deschutesduck for the tweet.  I do not like the contents, but appreciate seeing it.

Mr. FishDuck

As long as the support of a transfer doesn't adversely affect our development of the young guys I am ok with keeping AB in.

Seems to me if we had a competition between the 3 young guys and one was playing we would be better developing them, but what do I know.

I don't want to see anymore transfers into position where we have recruited well, it just doesn't help the program longterm.

When AB came in we had Shough, Butterfield and Ashford. AB came in and got 2nd team, then first team reps while taking away those opportunities from our young guys.

I get it when you sign a Vernon Adams who has lit it up for his team. Bringing in questionable talent while our guys don't get the attention is bound to cause troubles with fans and even at the team level.

My gut feeling is this will be a mistake when we look at the longterm effect.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/7/2021 at 1:06 PM, deschutesduck said:

😑

To be honest I am baffled by this comment.  Verdell is out for the season
AB has had trouble with reads and passing.  AB runs like Masoli - are we going to distill the playbook down to designed runs by Dye and QB runs?

• Thumbs Up 2

Organizations, groups and teams tend to take on the identity of their leadership. While I was a supporter of Brown as I felt he was the most experienced and deserved the opportunity to show he could rise to the occasion and lead this offense, his career has been marked by inconsistency. 

Cristobal, whom I beleive can grow into a great head coach, is clearly struggling creating the consistency needed to rise to the level of expectations set for this program. 

I'm not surprised AB is probably still in.  We all know Cristobal is risk-adverse and so would be very hesitant to turn the keys over to an inexperienced freshman, especially since there's still a ton to play for.  I think if Moorhead were available then he might have been able to debate Cristobal into it but since he's out on medical leave, that's not going to happen.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next week and a half, some stuff on the offense is definitely going to change since they need to put AB in better spots to succeed plus CJ being out for the season.  Of course if they don't change enough, we might see one of the freshman QBs come in sooner rather than later....the situation being AB taking on more runs with CJ out and then getting injured himself.

I expected Cristobal to stick with Brown. 

How many of the other three are going to transfer?  Some of them could go right now. 

Brown was not too bad in the other games.  They need to call plays that he can run properly.  He can run some plays very well. 

In addition to Brown, Ducks are not so good at weakside LB, not good in pass coverage, the corner opposite Wright gets beat a lot, Verdell is out, they don't have big TEs who can block well, the OTs are not that great, and other assorted issues, including lack of edge rushers not named KT.

I think the pac12 is not great, so the Ducks can try to make it a one loss season.  If they can do that, then I will be happy, sort of.  

The last item, I have eluded to before, is Cristobal seems to be like Ernie Kent. Without a good point guard, Kent was just an average, at best, coach.

It is starting to look like without a great qb Cristobal is just an average, at best, coach. Stay tuned if Cristobal can actually win more than lose with a suspect qb going forward.

I think there is an outside chance we struggle mightily through the rest of the season with AB. Without a massive turnover ratio we just aren't that good.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

The last item, I have eluded to before, is Cristobal seems to be like Ernie Kent. Without a good point guard, Kent was just an average, at best, coach.

It is starting to look like without a great qb Cristobal is just an average, at best, coach. Stay tuned if Cristobal can actually win more than lose with a suspect qb going forward.

I think there is an outside chance we struggle mightily through the rest of the season with AB. Without a massive turnover ratio we just aren't that good.

I see UCLA, Utah and the Beavers as 3 potential losses. 

On 10/7/2021 at 3:59 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I see UCLA, Utah and the Beavers as 3 potential losses. 

I could see another loss, but I don't want to point it out...5pnhu7.jpg.43039c5d4dc97afb9fc6ad40db0d4cfc.jpg

• Haha 2

Yes, I definitely expect Cristobal to stick with Brown. It would have been very out of character for him to take the risk on Thompson.

Here is to hoping AB can somehow turn it around and get some more wins. 

I do think we are in for some more gut wrenching losses though. 

On 10/7/2021 at 3:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

True enough.  But I think most coaches look pretty average if the QB isn't performing well.  Look at LSU and Clemson, Orgeron and Sweeney look pretty ordinary right now.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:07 PM, Haywarduck said:

I could see another loss, but I don't want to point it out...5pnhu7.jpg.43039c5d4dc97afb9fc6ad40db0d4cfc.jpg

bet the team starts name starts with an H? nahhhhhhhh

Just thinking about why MC would stick with Brown for any other reason than Brown truly is that much better than the rest.

Prukop was benched at this time of the season. Herbert did well. He had good size.

As much as MC loves physicality,  do you think he's concerned Ty isn't physically strong enough,  yet? Putting him in as a starter prematurely, then seeing him get injured badly would be tough to live with and could affect his future. Is he an immature thoroughbred that needs more snaps, instead of being THE workhorse? 

On 10/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, kirklandduck said:

True enough.  But I think most coaches look pretty average if the QB isn't performing well.  Look at LSU and Clemson, Orgeron and Sweeney look pretty ordinary right now.

I would argue Clemson is working through a freshman's difficulties. We, on the other hand are going to have to work through those freshman difficulties against Georgia in Atlanta!

Who is talking about this? We either bring in our freshman now, or it will be against one of the best teams in the nation, on the road. You want to protect our freshman, then do it now!

5pnvtq.jpg

Brown will lead to more painful games. Duck football will not be fun to watch. 

My guess is MC is sticking with AB to keep some continuity until Moorehad returns.

Lose to Cal and AB better be gone.

MC already stated that AB gives Oregon the best chance at winning, and that the backups are not up to AB's level. Looks like we are going get more of AB in the coming weeks.