DuckPhan19

Ponder Point: Are Oregon’s QB problems systemic?

Anyone remember the last time we had a first year starting QB decline in productivity over the course of the year? That’s right: last year with Shough. Are Oregon’s QB problems systemic?

I was pondering the same question. 

Going back to Herbert's final year, we have not only not coached the qb to his best potential, but it appears just the opposite, our qb play is regressing, as the season progresses.

I'm aware that we have different head OC over those years, but Mastro, Mirabal and Cristobal are the same, and run results are stagnant.

Maybe the reason a blue-chip, bell-cow, every down back hasn't picked Oregon in awhile is more clear to the players than to us fans.

It sure seems something is wrong in the kitchen with the cooks more than with the ingredients. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Prukop.  Costa.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, Duckdude said:

Prukop.  Costa.

Costa injured, not really a true regression. 

Whew!  It is a thought I've had but was reluctant to bring up....since I bring up enough these days!  After watching Brown in the limited time of last year and in the Spring Game...I am stunned at how badly he is playing now.  I never thought I would see it, and yes...he is worse than at Ohio State.  I really hope it is coincidence, and not coaching...

Mario Cristobal_Pac-12 Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I don't believe you can coach QBs to make the wrong read, take the bad throw, panic and run too soon. All of those things are what AB does. You can, as a coach, call lousy plays and implement a poor offense and under-utilize good player, but not coach an individual to make consistently bad decisions. Coaches are not to blame for everything.

• Like 1

Have you watched Justin Herbert this season? 

Brown played well within the system to defeat Ohio State. Yet, he completed less then 50% of his throws in Columbus. 

The Coastal Carolina QB is completing over 80% of his throws. He is playing in a spread, hurry-up O.

A QB who does not complete over 60% of his throws is not taking his team to the PO.

Brown is completing passes at the same rate he brought with him from BC.

Is it the system or the Oregon QBs that is at fault? I find it hard to believe that both Ty Thompson and Butterfield were overrated coming out of high school?

Before being injured at Texas, Shough was completing over 60% of his throws. And his WRs at TX Tech, on paper, are no where near as good as the WRs on the Ducks roster.

JH was coached down. Brown has not been coached up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was hopeful this was a problem that was remedied by the replacement of Arroyo. And historically speaking, Joe Moorhead has been a developer of quarterbacks (at least to fit into his system). But now what we are seeing are two quarterbacks in a row (Shough, Brown) who are failing miserably as operators of an RPO offense. Those reads that Brown was missing at Stanford were abysmal. So with a season and a half (2020 Covid Season) worth of install, it stands to reason the starter should have a firm grasp of this type of offense.

Granted an RPO offense puts a lot on the QB but it also allows a QB to play to his strengths when necessary and now it is showing that Brown doesn't really have ANY strengths outside of being calm behind center. Passable scramble ability, mediocre middle yardage throws, and non-existent deep ball threat. You have to believe that Cristobal sees what we see. So the question that I would like to see answered is; is Cristobal so stubborn and unwilling to have the uncomfortable conversation with Brown or does he truly not view Thompson or Butterfield or Ashford for that matter as viable options even with their proven arm talent?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2021 at 4:12 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

I was hopeful this was a problem that was remedied by the replacement of Arroyo. And historically speaking, Joe Moorhead has been a developer of quarterbacks (at least to fit into his system). But now what we are seeing are two quarterbacks in a row (Shough, Brown) who are failing miserably as operators of an RPO offense. Those reads that Brown was missing at Stanford were abysmal. So with a season and a half (2020 Covid Season) worth of install, it stands to reason the starter should have a firm grasp of this type of offense.

Granted an RPO offense puts a lot on the QB but it also allows a QB to play to his strengths when necessary and now it is showing that Brown doesn't really have ANY strengths outside of being calm behind center. Passable scramble ability, mediocre middle yardage throws, and non-existent deep ball threat. You have to believe that Cristobal sees what we see. So the question that I would like to see answered is; is Cristobal so stubborn and unwilling to have the uncomfortable conversation with Brown or does he truly not view Thompson or Butterfield or Ashford for that matter as viable options even with their proven arm talent?

Really good stuff, and THANKS.  Your last question is an uncomfortable one for me...

Mr. FishDuck

Shough was tucking and running - giving up on plays. 

Brown is making bad reads and throwing bad balls. He also once in a while gives up on plays, but not nearly as often. 

2 different problems.  Herbert didn't have open receivers to throw to.  He was in a bad place on 3rd and long after 2 failed Verdell runs up the middle. 

Moorhead fixed Herbert's problem.  Shough left the program. Brown is just not a good QB.

The only systemic problem left is NOT replacing Brown. And that just might be a systemic problem - not making the necessary changes. 

The plays are there.  

• Like 1