Bridgerduck

Where are Oregons receivers?

Ohio states three receivers Olave, Njgba, Wilson, combined for 388 yards against Oregon. Oregon's three top receivers Johnson, Pittman, Redd, have combined for 417 yards after 5 games! 31 receivers have more yards than Oregon's  three top receivers combined. Johnny Johnson, Oregon's top receiver ranks 316 in the nation     in total yards.  Cristobal puts an emphasis on receivers blocking "no block no rock". I wonder if his mindset should be more on being able to catch passes and

get open than their ability to block? Are Ohio States receivers playing because they are good blockers or because they are good receivers?

After the recruiting success Oregon has done the last three years, one would think we would have some go to receivers that can stretch the field.  Are  they

not starting or playing because of their blocking ability?

• Thumbs Up 1

Part of it is the lack of vertical passing from AB or the offensive scheme, the other part is that I don't see our receivers getting open consistently.  None of the are really burners but some of them like Devon Williams and Troy Franklin have size, Moorhead should be tweaking his offense to take advantage of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sitting on the bench after averaging 30 yds a catch, and a td every two times he catches the ball.

Also having balls bounce off the back of their helmet when they don't look for passes, and looking at balls thrown too far, or too high, frustrating for all!

In 2017, 18, and 19 Oregon had a stellar quarterback in Justin Herbert but in all those years really lacked a stable of receivers for him to consistently throw the ball to. Just look at what he can do with receivers who can catch the ball! 

Now we have the opposite... we have the receivers but don't have a quarterback who consistently gets them a ball in a place to make a play. We have seen over thrown deep balls, late passes that come behind the receivers, and just outright missed reads where Brown puts the ball into traffic and thankfully it has only resulted in one interception to date. 

Switching out the quarterback would start to see an improvement here. It would take some time because Thompson (presumably) would have to build a relationship with his receivers a bit ... but he has a much better feel for the ball. 

2015 was the last time Oregon was in sync with a good QB and receivers. We could be again but we need the right quarterback to do it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

They're out there but AB can't throw it close enough for them to catch it or AB runs with the ball. 

Out of 80 plays AB passed 26 times and ran 12 times. AB only completed 14/26 passes. Dye had 4, CJ had 1.

So 21 passes thrown to WR/TE's and of those 21 passes thrown only 9 were caught. I counted 4 late throws in the 1st qtr.

AB can't get the ball into the hands of the players that can get the most yards. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Its the QB.  He either makes the wrong reads or misfires the ball. 

Redd, Hutson, Devon, Johnson, Franklin, Thornton, and Pittman - they would be superstars in the right system with the right QB. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think another issue is Cristobal needs to find his best 3-4 wrs and play them the entire game.

Right now they are rotating 6-7 guys in there and it’s hard for any of them to get into a rhythm.

It's both. AB is overthrowing the ball, trying to go vertical, and the WRs are seldom getting separation.  On those crossing routes, AB has been throwing behind his receivers.  The only consistency he has had throwing the ball is to the sidelines. Thorton and Franklin should be the ones running those deep routes.  Thorton is probably one of the faster receivers, since he runs track.

• Thumbs Up 1

In regards to "no block no rock",  a wide open receiver will do wonders to open the running game.  Instead of a running back blocking  a 250 lb linebacker or a 300 lb defensive tackle he would be more effective running a pass route.  And less chance of being injured!

Where have all the flowers gone? Where is the passing?

Where have all the flowers gone? They were here not so long ago.

Where have all the flowers gone? Is there no passer among the QB young?

When will the the HC learn? When will he ever learn?

Where have all the flowers gone? Into the portal?

Where have all the flowers gone? How do stars disappear? 

Where have all the flowers gone?  Into a system that can only run?

When will the HC learn? When will he ever learn?

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Where have all the flowers gone? Where is the passing?

Where have all the flowers gone? They were here not so long ago.

Where have all the flowers gone? Is there no passer among the QB young?

When will the the HC learn? When will he ever learn?

Where have all the flowers gone? Into the portal?

Where have all the flowers gone? How do stars disappear? 

Where have all the flowers gone?  Into a system that can only run?

When will the HC learn? When will he ever learn?

I think you might be going off the deep end, and I am not far behind you.  I'm not even sure what day of  the week it is and I haven't done anything productive since last week.  This team drives me nuts.  They beat OSU, get up to #3, then hang on against low level teams and blow it against an average team that is not even ranked. 

What is this program going to do between now and the end of November?  When they have a bad bowl game, we can at least say "Its over for the year".  But I am worried that the low point could be really, really far down there.  With 7 games left, there could be 4 more losses due to below avg QB play and lack of pass coverage.  It could easily happen, regardless of how many 4 and 5 star players they have. 

I can tell you all what I don't want to hear:  "We had a great week of practice".  I want to see it in the game.  I just want to see some plays that work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, oregon112 said:

I think you might be going off the deep end, and I am not far behind you.  I'm not even sure what day of  the week it is and I haven't done anything productive since last week.  This team drives me nuts.  They beat OSU, get up to #3, then hang on against low level teams and blow it against an average team that is not even ranked. 

What is this program going to do between now and the end of November?  When they have a bad bowl game, we can at least say "Its over for the year".  But I am worried that the low point could be really, really far down there.  With 7 games left, there could be 4 more losses due to below avg QB play and lack of pass coverage.  It could easily happen, regardless of how many 4 and 5 star players they have. 

I can tell you all what I don't want to hear:  "We had a great week of practice".  I want to see it in the game.  I just want to see some plays that work. 

Brother, I feel and share your pain. According to the wife, I went off the deep end long ago.

I posted in the preseason that I would not be surprised to see this team finish anywhere from 12-0 to 8-4? Anywhere from the Playoff to the Sun Bowl?

When one of 'the kids' could not win the QB job from a QB who never completed more than 50% of his passes and was coming off 2 knee surgeries; well, I was leaning more toward 8-4? 

Then, Columbus happened! Was that game a complete aberration? I don't know?

I do know that any opponent is a threat when you play down to the opponent's level. That there is no way that even the best teams win every one score game.

Hoping that the time out this week really helps? If AB starts against CAL, I will of course cheer the team on but I will not be optimistic.

• Thumbs Up 2