UtahDuck

CJ verdell out for the season

Per Rob Moseley, CJ Verdell is out for the season.

That's bad news for both him and the team. 

BUMMER!

Very sad. The play didn't seem very physical at first blush.

Played too many games for a medical redshirt.

Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  •  
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  •  
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  •  
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
Edited by nw777b

Crushing.  Well, we will see some freshmen running backs now!  (And THANK YOU UtahDuck for reporting it)

Sean Dollars_Dennis Hammond Photography.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Nothing against Dye, but I would love to see all freshman backfield at some point in the Cal game. 

I always considered Dye a good back deserving of more playing time.  This season he is playing so much better! 

It will be nice to have the younger backs get more playing time now that Verdell is out for the season.

Condolences to Verdell as he is a warrior, and one of the cornerstones of this Duck team. He epitomizes 2021 Ducks, a team who has played well at times, and other times has been neglected. This has happened with little negative impact by the players, it is mostly the coaches who have missed it.

It wasn't Verdell's decision to set up the qb to lead the team in runs.  He just showed up and did what was asked, recently to do too little, until, like to many on the team, he became injured.

One thing no one can take from Verdell, he came everyday ready to play, and gave it his all when asked, well done!

On 10/7/2021 at 1:25 PM, Haywarduck said:

One thing no one can take from Verdell, he came everyday ready to play, and gave it his all when asked, well done!

Amen.  Perhaps a FishDuck writer will create an article of tribute to this warrior.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Tough break for Verdell.  Wish him a speedy recovery.  The coaches are asking him and Dye to do too much with too little.  Time for Benson to shine and see what Dye has been raving about.  Here's what Dye had to say about Benson: 

He’s coming in here every day, ready to focus and ready to go. His mentality and physicality is almost out of this world. I’ve never seen a back like it.

Trey has a huge future here. I think he’s going to be one of the greatest to ever come through here. He’s very powerful, very fast, very smart, and when you put all of                  those together, you’re going to have a great football player.

So why did MC play Cardwell instead of Benson, on those critical downs against Stanford?

I never seen him get as many yards after contact as he did vs Stanford.  He used to put his head down in the numbers of the defender and get an extra 2 feet.  But last game, he was driving his legs and it seemed he was getting several yards or more after contact. That run where he was a few feet away from the goal line just before halftime was some really tough running. 

I think Benson is next up for those tough yards.