Charles Fischer

Swinson Back, Moorhead in Eugene and Williams Lost for Season

Chris Hansen of the Eugene R-G is reporting that Bennett Williams is lost for the season as Verdell is.

Bradyn Swinson will be back for Cal, and Joe Moorhead is now recovering in Eugene and it is unknown if he will be available for Cal.

And Cristobal has declared his confidence in Anthony Brown for Cal.  😱

Talk about a mixed bag....

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I'm not happy about this statement either... it begs the question as to how bad are those freshman qbs?

However, HOWEVER! there might be a little hope. This is a bye week and next week is full prep for Cal. Why would Cristobal say anything besides they have full confidence in Brown? It would only help Cal in their prep process and do NOTHING for Oregon besides appease the fans.

Now, I would like to be appeased, not going to lie, but what is keeping me from full panic mode is that I would say the EXACT same thing if I were Cristobal this week.

How much of the offensive struggles are to blame for the injuries to the Ducks defense?  With the offense struggling to move the ball and stay on the field, the defense has been playing a lot more minutes which is taking its toll on those players.  It's not only on the offense's play calling, DeRuyter could get the defense off the field sooner, calling more blitzes on 3rd down instead of this soft coverage, rushing three or four. The Ducks can't continue to play this way. 

Between the conservative, predictable play calling, and AB's passing limitations, they are making the Ducks more vulnerable to injuries.  The opposing teams that play with tempo, further strains the defense, without the chance to substitute. The Ducks have been really unlucky this season, being hit hard with the injury bug, but how much is their own doing?

• Thumbs Up 1

According to James Crepea of the Oregonian, RB coach Mastro was the play caller for the Stanford game and will do so again for the Cal game if necessary. Nate Costa, who is an offensive analyst, will take on some or Moorhead's coaching responsibilities "in the quarterback room and at practice". 

After saying that, Mario added this profound bit of word salad: “When we do call it, everything we do we collaborate. We do it collectively; as we did when Joe was here as well. The system is the system. We’re not going to change systems.”

So, it would appear that "the system" is the all important thing. I think this would be a good time for Mario to more clearly define "the system".

Bye week couldn't come soon enough.  Most of our star players have been banged up and playing injured.  Sewell has been lingering on the turf every game.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, DimpleDucks said:

We’re not going to change systems.”

In three and a half years....all of Cristobal's offensive systems have not worked to the level of the two offenses he dumped...  What a great decision.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'm trying to recreate that warm, fuzzy feeling I had after the Ohio State game.

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Chris Hansen of the Eugene R-G is reporting that Bennett Williams is lost for the season as Verdell is.

Bradyn Swinson will be back for Cal, and Joe Moorhead is now recovering in Eugene and it is unknown if he will be available for Cal.

Talk about a mixed bag....

giphy.gif

As was often heard in the 60s: HEY BUDDY, GET A HAIRCUT!

Man, the injury bug in 2021 has replaced the 2020 COVID bug. BUMMER!

well maybe it will be an exciting game and go down to the wire?😒

Watching AB’s inaccurate passes and his bad decisions on when to keep the ball and run is painful to watch. Unfortunately, that seems to be a high percentage of our offense lately. However, I would be surprised to see him benched until at least one more game is lost. 

Most of AB ‘s game experience was with Boston College, and I am sure we don’t want to replicate his record with them at Oregon. If he is a better QB than all of our young QB’s we are in serious trouble. 

I have to wonder if Shough crumbling under the pressure of starting for Oregon has anything to do with not starting a younger QB? We are going to need to start a young QB soon.

Just have to wonder how painful this may be to watch. 

Edited by Drake

Let's hope AB's been spending the bye week concentrating on passing accuracy.  I don't think offensive scheme will change much because Moorhead is still out after that surgery.  Playcalling will improve in the Cal game if he's back in the saddle, I don't think Jim Mastro is that great at it (at least in Moorhead's RPO scheme).

On 10/8/2021 at 2:54 PM, kirklandduck said:

Let's hope AB's been spending the bye week concentrating on passing accuracy.  I don't think offensive scheme will change much because Moorhead is still out after that surgery.  Playcalling will improve in the Cal game if he's back in the saddle, I don't think Jim Mastro is that great at it (at least in Moorhead's RPO scheme).

6 seasons of CFB. AB is an under 60% passer. Grayson McCall at Coastal Carolina? Completing 82% of his passes.