oregon112

I think I know what is going on.

The team has only prepared Brown for the games, so the other 3 are non-options unless Brown goes out with injury. 

The replacement play caller was not calling plays that Brown was comfortable with:  The reads were bad because Brown didn't know what was up.  The throws were bad because Brown wasn't familiar with where the receivers were supposed to be.  Why do I say this?  Because Brown was not that bad in all his other games.  Yes, some throws were off, but not all the downfield throws. 

The pass defense scheme has been figured out.  Since even before the season started, as evidence by what Fresno did the first game. They were not going to risk changing it up for Stanford, especially with Bennet going out the day before the game. 

---------------------------

What I think they will do with this bye week:

They will probably shorten the playbook a little to focus on what Brown can do best.  And then drill those plays with repetition to get the reads right. Also to get the other 10 guys to do the right things at the right times. 

They will work on some different coverages to take away all those easy passes. 

They will need to get the replacement weakside LBs ready to make their reads and breaks to the spots they need to be in.  They will continue to work with Noah on his pass coverage too. 

They will prepare to tighten up many of their mistakes to put out a game plan that will take care of Cal, but not be spectacular. 

What I hope they do:  Stop getting players hurt during practice and training. Players are too big, too strong, too fast to be going hard core in practice and not get hurt and be out for many games. 

--------------------------------------

How they play vs Cal:  I think they play with far fewer mistakes on both sides.  They will rely on better players to win. I think they will get a lead at some point in the first quarter and slowly build on it.  But I don't think they light up the scoreboard. They will have to figure out who will be the main replacement for Verdell.  They will also have to emphasize keeping your head and not making so many penalties. 

-----------------------------------

This is all speculation.  But I think they just go for a solid, unspectacular win vs Cal just to get on the right track.  Then after that, they get ready for UCLA by preparing more plays on offense and defense.  First, they need to find some plays that work vs Cal.  They can't have another helter-skelter game, which is why they are sticking with Brown. 

-------------------------------

Will they ever replace Brown?   If not now, then most likely not at all this season.  Not unless Brown has a total meltdown and can't execute any plays. 

Even if this team wins out, I think they will be so unimpressive that it will be hard for them to make the playoffs.  An offense the grinds out first downs and eats the clock with no big gains and a bend but try not to break defense won't impress the selection committee. 

And I think they will go back into their shell so deep that winning out will be really tough.  I think lots of games this year will be a lot like the Stanford game - close contests that get decided late in the 4th qtr. 

I don't think they will face another QB like McKee the rest of the year.  But they won't pull away from teams like they should.  I think as fans, we will be happy for the 'Ws' we get, but not thrilled about how we got them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks Oregon 112, interesting thoughts and take.

Stanford is 112th in the nation in yards given up per rush. Oregon outgained Stanford. IMO, far more RPOs and straight handoffs to the RBs should have been called in last Saturday's game?

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s pretty clear from what MC is saying is he is not going to bench Brown so prepare yourself with that fact for the rest of the way. Every game will be a dog fight and we will probably loose to UCLA and the Beavs. My gosh I can’t believe I’m saying this. My disappointment in MC is growing by the hour. 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:29 AM, Just Ducky said:

It’s pretty clear from what MC is saying is he is not going to bench Brown so prepare yourself with that fact for the rest of the way. Every game will be a dog fight and we will probably loose to UCLA and the Beavs. My gosh I can’t believe I’m saying this. My disappointment in MC is growing by the hour. 

They might not lose to UCLA and the beavs, but those games will probably be tossups and come down to the last few posessions.