Charles Fischer

Do you "HATE" Stanford?

I was thinking about watching Arizona State tonight, and when I realized it was against the 'Furd I said to myself, "nah."  I do not want to see anything associated with them yet this season...

I never viewed them with "hate" like I have the Huskies, or in the distant past, USC. But I really don't like the smarty-pants in Palo Alto anymore, and maybe that is what the players and coaches need to be feeling next year?

How do YOU feel about Stanford after that game?  Or were your feelings based on all the other upsets of the past? 

(The one in 2001 just drove me crazy...I've never seen a game where a team had a punt blocked twice)

David Shaw_Kevin Cline.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I hate to lose to them but admire how they rise to the occasion when playing us.

I don't know if "I can't stand Stanford" equates to hate, but I can't stand them. Just their "mascot" being the color cardinal  and having that represented by a tree, is just being too "cute" for words IMHO. Also, they way they try to portray their band's sophomoric antics as satire is another gripe.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the program and what they stand for, the student athlete. The trojans, and the dawgs stand for elitist, enabled, petulant, whiny athletes. 

I want our program and academic climate to become more like Stanford, and never like the other two.

So I admire Stanford, always have, and to say I dislike the other two is an understatement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. I hate them.  Their only claim to fame is beating good Oregon teams.  They can do nothing else. Beat them badly and run up the score on them.  We only seem to beat them when we are having a bad year. 

It wasn't Furds fault the Ducks lot and the few fans they have seem very cordial. 

Hate? No.

Respect yes! How can you not respect teams that play up to their competition. I applaud David Shaw for always having his team ready.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been to several games at Stanford. The fans that tailgate close to the stadium have seemed overly nice as they sit in the shade of the trees sipping white wine at a table of catered food….”Very California”. 

Way too civilized for a football game.

Never like to lose, but can’t really hate on them too much for winning a few games. Although, all long time fans know that some of those loses have derailed a shot at a title. 

Oregon and Stanford have a special relationship because between the two of them they have ruled the conference for a decade+.

One of the first articles I wrote for FishDuck was actually about how the Pac-12 Championship game sucks because for so many of those years the Pac-12 Championship Game should have been played as a rematch of those two teams as they were by far the best two teams in the conference.

Stanford as spoiled many of our seasons but we have spoiled a good few of theirs. In 2015 Oregon basically single-handedly kept Stanford out of the playoff and ensured McCaffrey wouldn't win the Heisman.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't hate Stanford, I respect David Shaw a ton.  I do hate Pac-12 referees and their basement-quality training however.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don’t hate Stanford.  I hate losing a game that was impossible to lose!  Again! 🥱🥱🥱!!!

Edited by Duckdude

On 10/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I was thinking about watching Arizona State tonight, and when I realized it was against the 'Furd I said to myself, "nah."  I do not want to see anything associated with them yet this season...

I never viewed them with "hate" like I have the Huskies, or in the distant past, USC. But I really don't like the smarty-pants in Palo Alto anymore, and maybe that is what the players and coaches need to be feeling next year?

How do YOU feel about Stanford after that game?  Or were your feelings based on all the other upsets of the past? 

(The one in 2001 just drove me crazy...I've never seen a game where a team had a punt blocked twice)

David Shaw_Kevin Cline.jpg

Stanford? No. The smug David Shaw, YES!

• Like 2

It's kinda funny, Stanford has put more big game losses on Oregon than any other team, but I've never hated them.

I hated Harbaugh (still do), I don't particularly like Shaws smug looks, but never hated them. I think their name and mascot and band are all lame...

UW is really the only team I hate.

Maybe Boise St. too.

I don't hate stanford, like most people I hate losing games to them especially those games those games from the early 2010's but I don't hate them.

Teams I hate Washington(none of the rest of these are close to UW), FSU, Ohio state, and USC. Their are also teams in which I hate their head coach, Clemson, Ohio State, and Miss State. A number of teams in which I can't stand their fan base: Utah and BYU, Texas, ohio State, Miami and Oklahoma. Stanford does have the most annoying mascot though. 

It is hard to hate teams just because they are successful and at least in the early 2010's stanford was an elite team so while i knew we might drop the game against them it was still a good game. I also do think very highly of Shaw and stanford keeps putting up amazing qb performances against us so...

The only team I can think I truly hate from top to bottom(outside of UW) is Ohio state. My inlaws lived in ohio for some time and I couldn't stand the fact that my father just jumped bandwagoning over to OSU(he is a utah graduate). Urban was annoying and the fact that day wanted to "embarrass" oregon this year really irked me. That and the fact that oregon lost the first CFP really bugs me. 

I will just say that the Tree as a mascot is pretty creepy. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I will just say that the Tree as a mascot is pretty creepy. 

Right?!?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, DUCati855 said:

Hate? No.

Respect yes! How can you not respect teams that play up to their competition. I applaud David Shaw for always having his team ready.

Ready against Oregon? Yes. Ready against K State in the opener? No.

And UCLA's OL mauled the Cardinal DL. Stanford was only in the game vs the Bruins because of terrible Bruins DB play.

Vandy, among others this season, ran the ball well against Stanford.

I agree that we see great effort most game days out of Stanford.  

But the Cardinal today does not have the DL guys it once brought in. Does luck against Oregon, but no Luck at QB and no RBs like Gerhart and McCaffery.

IIRC, the "tree" was introduced as their mascot shortly after the Cardinal replaced the "Indians" as Stanford's mascot... If memory serves, it was at an Oregon game, around the time the timber based economies of Oregon and Washington were coming under heavy attack by the environmentalist movement.

At the time it was considered by many as a cheap shot.

Some of us failed to recognize the thinly veiled insult as "humor"

Yes I hate them 

Overrated 

Entitled 

Smug

Pretty much the prime example of the elitist west coast mentality 

ASU exposing Stanford.  If Stanford sucks, what does that say about the Ducks?

On 10/8/2021 at 10:20 PM, DuckIt said:

ASU exposing Stanford.  If Stanford sucks, what does that say about the Ducks?

Hopefully just that Oregon is a horribly injured and depleted team that after a bye week Oregon looks a whole lot better. 

At least that is what I am hoping. 

On 10/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, David Marsh said:

Hopefully just that Oregon is a horribly injured and depleted team that after a bye week Oregon looks a whole lot better. 

At least that is what I am hoping. 

I wish it were that simple, but Oregon's issues run deeper than just injuries.  There is a lack of coaching as well as player development.  The play calling also is not cutting it on either side of the ball.   And don't get me started on the QB limitations. The main reason, the Ducks went 4-0 to start the season, is by winning the turnover battle by a huge margin.  In the Stanford game, they finally lost that battle, with Stanford coming away with the only turnover.  Having some difference makers back like Swinson, Flowe, and Williams back, could help in that department but it wouldn't solve their other problems, just help to mask their deficiencies.  Unfortunately, Flowe and Williams are out for the season.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, Drake said:

Been to several games at Stanford. The fans that tailgate close to the stadium have seemed overly nice as they sit in the shade of the trees sipping white wine at a table of catered food….”Very California”. 

Way too civilized for a football game.

For a very uncivilized feeling, I used to go to Cleveland Browns games in the 70s.  Nothing but blue collar lunch bucket heads acting like animals all the time.  When Pittsburg was in town, there would be fights all over downtown.  Lots of hot dog stands out on the street corners.  Fans at the games would steal food and beer from the venders working the seats. 

And just about every game, in the fourth quarter, some fan would run out on the field when teams were in the huddle, and grab the football and start running around.  About 20 cops would try to catch him.  When the guy put a move on a cop, and said cop lost his balance and fell down, the whole stadium would cheer loudly. 

Late in the season, the fronts would blow in from Lake Erie and it would be cold, damp and windy.  The team was usually not very good, so the fans for the most part, just went for the hell-raising experience.  It was a way to blow off steam before they all went back to their union factory jobs.