Smith72

An Offensive "System" at Oregon?

We learned Oregon has a "system" for developing and calling the offense.

“If Joe is out that’ll be the scenario,” Cristobal said. “When we do call it, everything we do we collaborate. We do it collectively; as we did when Joe was here as well. The system is the system. We’re not going to change systems.”

Is the system responsible for the type of offense we've seen this year?  Is the system why we haven't seen the total Moorhead offense?  

Some say the camel was designed by a committee.  Is the system why we have an offense that is so ugly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it the system? Maybe. Or maybe it's the way the staff coaches the system. But, what exactly is the system??

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait a minute...isn't the offensive coordinator supposed to be doing this entirely?  Can "by committee" really work?

Mario...how well has this committee worked thus far?

Is this what a good offensive coordinator would want to be a part of?

Joe Moorhead_Pac12 Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I would like to know what the system really is.

Is it play not to loose.

Is it keep the game close till the end and then let a tired injury riddled defense try to pull it out.

Is it not to score points at a torrid pace.

Is it to get more penalties than the other guys.

Is it not to pressure the opposing teams QB.

Is it to play your DBs so far off the wide outs they can’t stop a ten yard pass that turns into 20.

Is it to drive the fans into a frenzy.

Someone please tell me.

• Thumbs Up 2

We know that Justin Herbert has a new offensive coordinator who has a system and a head coach who has given both of them the green light.  I doubt it is an offense by committee.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wait a minute...isn't the offensive coordinator supposed to be doing this entirely?  Can "by committee" really work?

Mario...how well has this committee worked thus far?

Is this what a good offensive coordinator would want to be a part of?

Joe Moorhead_Pac12 Video.jpg

Great question Charles. I very much doubt that what Mario described was the system when JM was the OC at Penn State?

BTW, the system Mario described is certain to eliminate a hurry-up pace of play. 

Most committees I served on did nothing until an individual led the way for the rest of the committee. GA great leader let's the committee believe the ultimate decision was made by consensus.

A committee to design a game plan during the week? OK. But no committee will properly execute the plan on game day.

I heard this comment too, and at the time I thought, "so that's the problem ".

I don't know how their system is supposed to work, but the results are uninspiring. 

Ultimately, I think MC and Co. are better coaches than we think. There is so much behind the scenes we just don't know, and injuries have been a serious problem. But I'm wondering about the RB coach, Mastro. He seems to have a big say in who plays and when, and we certainly have questioned some of those decisions.

Maybe there are too many cooks in the kitchen!

Except for one game, our offense has been boring, predictable, and only moderately successful. The qb play seems to have regressed each game, not improve.

If you wait for the wheels to fall off before you act, you are not a leader. Good leaders anticipate and have a vision for the future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

it's certainly been offensive to watch 😐

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:38 PM, deschutesduck said:

it's certainly been offensive to watch 😐

That was a painful observation, yet funny...

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

System?? I dont know if you could call what the Ducks have a system. Maybe System of a Lost Down?

I'm sure all coordinators take input from position coaches.  Which should happen.

Does anyone think that Chip Kelly led a committee?  I think not.  The "blur" was and always will be Chip Kelly.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, Smith72 said:

We learned Oregon has a "system" for developing and calling the offense.

“If Joe is out that’ll be the scenario,” Cristobal said. “When we do call it, everything we do we collaborate. We do it collectively; as we did when Joe was here as well. The system is the system. We’re not going to change systems.”

Is the system responsible for the type of offense we've seen this year?  Is the system why we haven't seen the total Moorhead offense?  

Some say the camel was designed by a committee.  Is the system why we have an offense that is so ugly.

I am pretty sure the main problem is they sing Kumbaya between plays too, unbelievable! It also makes the top ten reasons why Joe was in the hospital.

5prvi0.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What Cristobal needs to establish first and foremost is an offensive identity. Establish an Identity that you can then create your "system" to fit in. This Oregon team has had zero identity since he took over. Cristobal claims it is physicality with tempo (see introductory new conference). It is neither of those. If he wants big road graders at the front with bruising backs to pound the rock to eventually open up the pass game then he needs to go ask Nick Saban what he USED to do at Alabama. If he wants to win championships then he needs to go ask Saban what he DOES at Alabama today.

He needs to realize modern college football is a constantly changing game that requires constantly changing mindsets. If he really wants to establish power with tempo then he really, honestly needs to leave the state of Oregon in the offseason and go hang around Bryant-Denny stadium; but more importantly give full control of the offense to his OC and let him do his thing until it is obvious what Oregon football is on offense. That will then be his system, and it will obvious how it fits into the offensive identity and also convey to potential recruits how they will be utilized in the game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Was Cristobal paying attention at Alabama's offense practices? Didnt they have Kiffin and or Sark running the O??