Charles Fischer

FishDuck Featured Article: "Ducks Have Too Many Questions Following Fiesta Bowl"

Great article about the game by the FishDuck correspondent, Ryan Robertson, who was in the Press Box of the Fiesta Bowl and can be read right here

He makes some observations about the defense that I have not noted anywhere else and now I am going to go back and see what he means.

Turnover_Fiesta Bowl.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Good job, Ryan, you laid it out plain and simple. There is a lot to be done  before the Ducks are a playoff team. It might be that even if the playoffs were set to include the conference champions, the Ducks would still be out of their league when it came to winning the championship. The recruiting is getting there. But unfortunately, the Fiesta Bowl told us that there is more for Cristobal to get right, than we thought.

The Fiesta Bowl  exposed  problems much deeper than sitting on a lead, The disfunction at quarterback stands out, but it's only one of the things you pointed out. Iowa State had an identity, a plan to go with its purpose. Oregon looked unsettled, verging on to chaotic. 

They really need a productive off season to get to work on this. Ohio State in game one, should be a motivating force. 

I see the article saying Oregon opens at Ohio State next year.

FBSchedules.com has Oregon opening with Fresno State on Sept. 4th and Ohio State as game two on September 11th.

Did something change? The tOSU site has the Oregon game listed as still on the 11th, and the Fresno State has their Oregon game still listed as on the 4th. Did something change and those sites just haven't updated, or is Oregon opening up with Fresno State?

Ohio State has an early opener listed on the 2nd (Thursday) versus Minnesota, instead of most everyone else on the 4th. If the old rules apply about when you can start fall camp, Oregon opening against tOSU (no Fresno State) on the 11th would mean I believe Oregon starting 9 days later, which would be bad.

First rule — if you ever spent a day! — never, ever predict the outcome of a game in the title of an article. I blame Ryan Robertson. 

It’s Ryan’s fault.

I would say the Ducks had too many questions before the Fiesta Bowl, and those questions continue. The first question is who is going to lead this team. This question goes deep, as the leadership question isn't just behind center.

The qb posiition will figure itself out. With an offseason and talent coming in, the cream will rise to the top. We will have a qb who knows the offense, can lead and will develop into a great qb. It was obvious we didn't have a qb who truly won out the qb competition. We then had a loss in confidence that fed off itself. From what I saw we also don't have a qb who can throw the long ball, nor get the ball over a defense. This is why we saw so many curls. The last interception, as the broadcaster stated, was going to hit the LB in the head if he hadn't caught it. That has to stop, get the ball

I think the problem with the defense is we need both leadership and everyone to be on the same page. As Ryan stated there may be leadership on the field, but it isn' t getting the defense to jell. I am not too worried about this one as the talent level is so high, the defense will continue to grow. Even without Avalos we will see a defense that can help win games.

The real question on leadership is game day decision making with Cristobal. Can Mario give the ball up on game day? What we saw in the Fiesta bowl wasn't an offense that had evolved. The offense was way too predictable.

The other question is can Cristobal make a special teams move? Two onside kicks were successful against us, we looked like the keystone cops out there at times. We also aren't a threat with out special teams like we have been in the past. This needs to be solved in the offseason. Not too much, but some critical questions need to be answered, or figured out.

For now we have an amazing basketball program, Go Ducks!

1 hour ago, AnotherOD said:

I see the article saying Oregon opens at Ohio State next year.

FBSchedules.com has Oregon opening with Fresno State on Sept. 4th and Ohio State as game two on September 11th.

Did something change? The tOSU site has the Oregon game listed as still on the 11th, and the Fresno State has their Oregon game still listed as on the 4th. Did something change and those sites just haven't updated, or is Oregon opening up with Fresno State?

Ohio State has an early opener listed on the 2nd (Thursday) versus Minnesota, instead of most everyone else on the 4th. If the old rules apply about when you can start fall camp, Oregon opening against tOSU (no Fresno State) on the 11th would mean I believe Oregon starting 9 days later, which would be bad.

Thats my mistake! I could've sworn it was the first game, but I should've verified before writing it.

5 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Great article about the game by the FishDuck correspondent, Ryan Robertson, who was in the Press Box of the Fiesta Bowl and can be read right here

He makes some observations about the defense that I have not noted anywhere else and now I am going to go back and see what he means.

Turnover_Fiesta Bowl.jpg

Charles,

Let me know once you've gone back and watched. The linebacker thing was more early season, but the players trying to figure out where they needed to be as the ball was snapped happened all game.

That is inexcusable since Iowa state was taking up the entire play clock before the snap.

The Ducks went 12-2 last year. Except for the dumpster fire in AZ they were right where they needed to be. Big change this year was a shortened season, lost an NFL QB, key player opt outs, new OC, new O line, and now they're the youngest team in the FBS. Even LSU had trouble this year. You can't lose that many key players and still go 12-2.

Yes the play calling sucks which brings up the point that it sucked last year too, but there were better smarter players on the team able to over come it.

With that being said it's obvious the Ducks have a QB dilemma that may not sort it's self out next year. Who stays , who goes? Is there another Herbert or Mariota in the wings? If not then the Ducks won't be anywhere close to a contender next year. They'll be better but not good enough to pin any hopes on the CFP by a long shot. 

Winning the north and the Pac 12 will be a major achievement next year.

A very enjoyable analysis Ryan, I thank you for the detail of it. 

"The offense is lost",  yep thats for sure
"The defense is too complicated",  not good, not good at all. 

You pointed out some good details and I don't know the answers to the questions it brings up in my mind, but I do have one observation of my own that I want to add to yours. 

My observation of this game is simple and boils down to one question that I have: Why did the Cyclones "Big Guys" seem to be much bigger than our "Big Guy's" ?? Oregon got push up and down the field like a rag doll being run over by a bronco bull. 

17 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

My observation of this game is simple and boils down to one question that I have: Why did the Cyclones "Big Guys" seem to be much bigger than our "Big Guy's" ?? Oregon got push up and down the field like a rag doll being run over by a bronco bull. 

I immediately noticed that too! Our line averages well over 300 lbs. but they looked small against the Cycloned line.

My takeaway of this game was adjustments, they made them, we did not,

24 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

A very enjoyable analysis Ryan, I thank you for the detail of it. 

"The offense is lost",  yep thats for sure
"The defense is too complicated",  not good, not good at all. 

You pointed out some good details and I don't know the answers to the questions it brings up in my mind, but I do have one observation of my own that I want to add to yours. 

Personally, I think that one was on the players. They lost the off season weight lifting program. It would appear that Iowa state players were lifting weights while the oregon players were not. Whether or not there is an organized program for strength training, the players need to be doing it.

Good article, Ryan. The D is more likely to turn the corner than the offense next season IMO.  We've got a lot of young talent on that side of the ball.  The offense is a hot mess.  If Anthony Brown leaves that creates an open competition because he should start next year if he's still on the team.  Shough is not the answer so does it come down to a battle between Butterfield and Thompson if Brown walks?  I would like to see Millen get a fair shot but that's unlikely.  In any event, expect an inexperienced QB under center next season. 

A bigger problem is our scheme.  We're living in the golden era of passing; it needs to be featured not take a backseat.  The top programs create huge plays on a weekly basis from the passing game.  We have some outstanding receivers that are completely ignored.  MC does not want to lean on the passing game.

At some point the recruiting could fall off if we don't take the next step on offense.  The Ty Thompson's of the world will soon figure out that the offense does exploit their skills. Ditto for receivers like D Williams and Pittman.  

Edited by ptdduck

I am pretty down after this blow out. What do we do for a QB? Anthony Brown seemed to be able to move the offense but then we did not go on 4th and three yards and that was the beginning of the end. My wife looked at Shough and said "that is the look of fear in his eyes".

What do we do for a running back? How do you win any game when you give up five turnovers? What do we do if we cannot defend against big bruising running backs? For me this is the worst loss in years.

I see the Ducks in a "Yes, but..." situation.

• Yes, they were the youngest, most inexperienced team in the nation.

• Yes, the COVID impact hurts a young, inexperienced team more than others.

• Yes, they had a new offensive coordinator and a new scheme, with little practice time and few games in which to learn.

• Yes, they lost a 4-year star starter at QB and the entire O line.

• Yes, they had established stars and leaders on defense opt out.

That's a lotta "yes" explanations or excuses, which I think are valid. I feel many of us had unrealistic expectations for this season given all the above.

• But, the team often seemed unprepared, unfocused and undisciplined in all facets of the game.

• But, the same old failed and failing brain-dead plays were being called in the obvious situations.

• But, the QB situation was handled really, really badly, so that everybody lost.

I think this season was not one that yields a realistic evaluation of the coaches and players. If there is a normal season this year (still doubtful), then we can gauge how well the team is set up for the future with Mario at the helm. It seems likely Avalos will depart, and I would not bet on Moorhead sticking around; the way things have gone doesn't give me much belief that he is in charge of the offense and the play calling. He's too talented to put up with that.

I'm throwing out this season and hoping that a better picture emerges in the coming 12 months.

56 minutes ago, Santa Rosa Duck said:

am pretty down after this blow out

56 minutes ago, Santa Rosa Duck said:

For me this is the worst loss in years

I am agreement with you my friend, as it sets us back quite a bit with the fans and the public perceptions...

Mr. FishDuck

The part that worries me is the bad same ole same ole play calling. Is that fixable?

14 minutes ago, jrw said:

I see the Ducks in a "Yes, but..." situation.

• Yes, they were the youngest, most inexperienced team in the nation.

• Yes, the COVID impact hurts a young, inexperienced team more than others.

• Yes, they had a new offensive coordinator and a new scheme, with little practice time and few games in which to learn.

• Yes, they lost a 4-year star starter at QB and the entire O line.

• Yes, they had established stars and leaders on defense opt out.

That's a lotta "yes" explanations or excuses, which I think are valid. I feel many of us had unrealistic expectations for this season given all the above.

• But, the team often seemed unprepared, unfocused and undisciplined in all facets of the game.

• But, the same old failed and failing brain-dead plays were being called in the obvious situations.

• But, the QB situation was handled really, really badly, so that everybody lost.

I think this season was not one that yields a realistic evaluation of the coaches and players. If there is a normal season this year (still doubtful), then we can gauge how well the team is set up for the future with Mario at the helm. It seems likely Avalos will depart, and I would not bet on Moorhead sticking around; the way things have gone doesn't give me much belief that he is in charge of the offense and the play calling. He's too talented to put up with that.

I'm throwing out this season and hoping that a better picture emerges in the coming 12 months.

I totally agree with this. I had these same thoughts during this shortened season. Sooooo many questions. Sooooo many unanswered.

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

I am agreement with you my friend, as it sets us back quite a bit with the fans and the public perceptions...

NOT what is expected from a Coach you pay $4 million a year, too.  Big pay brings Big expectations.  Not acceptable, Cristobal!

I don't care how much we are paying the coach. It only tangentially comes out of my pocket, and putting it into every discussion obscures the real point. If you have read Our Fearless Leader's musings for the last four years they come down to this. Why are we running Bo Schembechler offense 14 years after Bo died? Our play calling does the best job of stopping our offense than any defense since Gene Chizik thanked God for blinding the officials to the fact that Michael Dyer was down.

Here is what I want to see. Next year, when a mundane running play is called on 3rd and 6, I want the QB to go to the line, say "Omaha!" and throw the damn ball downfield to a highly-rated recruit for a 70-yard touchdown. If it won't be called by the staff, the QB should audible to it and win the game. I would buy that QBs jersey for my grandson that very day!

Am I a little salty? Yes, I am. Perhaps I should stay off Twitter, where we are being eviscerated by the Huskies for our unhinged performance last Saturday.

6 hours ago, Duckpop22 said:

Am I a little salty? Yes, I am. Perhaps I should stay off Twitter, where we are being eviscerated by the Huskies for our unhinged performance last Saturday.

Just remind the Husky fans that they couldn't field a team to make it to the big game.  I love how everyone says the Pac 12 champion has an asterisks, but I suppose it wouldn't it the Huskies had fielded a team and we had beat them the week before the championship? 

In the Fiesta Bowl our DB’s seemed to wait for the play to come to them instead of being aggressive and afraid they would make a mistake.  Not enough pressure on their QB either. Should rush 4 and occasionally 5, and have secondary play man to man.  

It was odd the way the DBs played....great observation-thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/5/2021 at 1:47 AM, Duckpop22 said:

The puppy fans biggest celebrations are when we lose to someone else. Since their football team can rarely do it...we will get back to the business of crushing them again soon....lol