David Marsh

Alabama v TAMU Reffing

Watching the last five minutes of the Alabama v Texas A&M game where it has some similarities to the Oregon v Stanford game. 

Bama has not played well this game and it is close. 

However, there is definitely a difference in reffing. The SEC refs are either protecting Bama or just letting things okay out. They didn't flag a play that may have started early and it resulted in a touchdown... It looked like there was some movement but that's just my perspective. 

The 2pt conversation had a look that the receiver may have pushed off the defender... Would have been flagged in the pac-12 but not this game. 

Then there was a play that had a bit of a late hit where the Bama defender clearly lowered his head but due to a height difference it wasn't crown of the helmet that made contact but the face mask and maybe part of the helmet. Targeting was called and then over turned. 

That would have been targeting in the pac-12. KT was in the air and coming down with his hands out and there was incidental contact that was deemed targeting. 

From an Oregon and Pac-12 fan perspective the refs are protecting the crown jewel of the SEC. 

Just some observations. Reffing may be bad in the Pac-12 but the bigger problem is that reffing solid different in every conference and isn't consistent across college football. 

Then there was a play that had a bit of a late hit where the Bama defender clearly lowered his head but due to a height difference it wasn't crown of the helmet that made contact but the face mask and maybe part of the helmet. Targeting was called and then over turned. 

Just before the hit to the head, to me it looked like a Bama player got away with a facemask as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not that I am a fan but glad to see that A&M won

Games like this is why you can’t count the Ducks or any other team out of anything. No one would have guessed that Bama would lose today or the Ducks would beat Ohio St. at the shoe… or in 2019, kill Utah and win a pac12 championship. 

I keep reading that the Ducks can’t make the playoffs… but what if every team has 1 loss by the end of the season? Ducks are in a good position if they can win out. 

Edited by Autzen
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It will all come down to turnovers, if Oregon can lead the nation in turnover ratio, or maintain 2nd place we will be ok. If we don't, like last week, then the magic is over. All the rest of the stats are just fluff, and smoke.

100 games winning against NR teams is over. As is never having lost to an assistant coach.

2021? Strange days indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Not that I am a fan but glad to see that A&M won

I am happy that TAMU won... always nice seeing Bama knocked down a notch.

I do think Georgia is now solidly the No.1 team in the country and it isn't even close.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I would have bet on this game I would have had Bama by 21 --Good thing I don't bet

50.jpg

So Alabama loses to TAMU, who lost to Mississippi State, who lost to Memphis....what a crazy year.  Or is parity beginning to arrive from the portal, when recruiting high schoolers did not?

Mr. FishDuck

Why can Oklahoma bench it’s star qb1 and the ducks cannot bench its qb1?

too bad we have a stubborn olineman head coach. He’s an excellent recruiter but terrible in game coach. 

On 10/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

So Alabama loses to TAMU, who lost to Mississippi State, who lost to Memphis....what a crazy year.  Or is parity beginning to arrive from the portal, when recruiting high schoolers did not?

Love the thought Charles. Portal Parity has Michigan State with 12 starters from the portal, undefeated. 10 starters for Arkansas are portal guys, 9 for Baylor. Dipping into the portal has materially benefited coaches Tucker, Pittman and Aranda in their 2nd year.

The Portal has somewhat altered the old, stand alone recruiting efforts and recruiting rankings. Better to take a 4* straight out of HS or a 3* with a year or 2 of CFB playing experience?

I think the portal will prove to be the better provider of players than guys coming from the JC ranks?

BTW, a starting LB at UCF with less than 5 games played in 2021 just entered the portal. Mario?

A lot of chatter on social media last night about this...SEC refs definitely seemed to be trying to help Bama bit.. glad A&M won