Annie

Once TX and OK join the SEC, will the SEC become like the PAC-12?

That is, will the SEC teams beat each other up each year as so often happens in the PAC-12, and, if so, what will sports writers and broadcasters say about that?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 1:48 PM, Annie said:

That is, will the SEC teams beat each other up each year as so often happens in the PAC-12, and, if so, what will sports writers and broadcasters say about that?

I don't think so. The SEC will always have 3 or more top drawer teams. I doubt there will be many seasons when the SEC Champ finishes with more than 1L? 

Unless the SEC goes to 9 conference match ups, and even with 9, many teams will not play one another in a 6 season period, UT and OK will not match up against the SEC 'big boys' on a regular basis.

The calculus would change somewhat with Bama and Auburn in the east and OK and UT in the west. But my guess is that the SEC will drop the traditional cross division match up, drop divisions and go to pods? This will assure that the SEC champ game has the #1 ranked SEC team playing #2 in the champ game.

With the upcoming Alliance OOC games. I think the Pac-12 should drop divisions, play 8 regularly scheduled conference games, drop the CA scheduling agreement, keep the rivalry games, OR vs OR ST  for example, and play a 9th conference game on championship week. 1 vs 2 at a neutral site. 3 vs 12, etc. on the home field of the higher ranked teams.

Divisions do not make for equal play. Iowa in the B1G W on paper, now has a stroll to the B1G champ game. In the B1G E, #6, 7, 8 and 10 have to play one another. I will not be at all surprised if the B1G drops divisions and goes to pods? And I can see the same happening in the ACC?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2021 at 10:48 AM, Annie said:

This is what I've been saying....a Super-Conference is great unless you have a good team that would be a conference leader elsewhere, but has lost a number of close games and now sits at .500.  Will the fans love that?

Great point Annie, and THANKS.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/11/2021 at 2:22 PM, Confused said:

The NFL scouts search everywhere no doubt but the SEC by a large margin is the dominate conference on draft day. Now with two of the most talented teams outside the sec joining them it’s a semi pro conference.   If your a young man will you feel like you are being left behind if you don’t go to an SEC school to play?   I would.  Most of California athletes already are heading south.   This will further that is my guess.  SEC continues to get stronger while every other conference gets weaker.    They are guaranteed at least one team in playoff now.  I have seen them play live.  They are so much stronger, faster, and bigger than any other conference.  I would take the third best SEC team right now over the best of any other conference.  Then you add Oklahoma and Texas.  Yikes 

Great take. Oklahoma, YES. Texas, in recent years, all hat and no cattle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The SEC does a lot to avoid the cannibalism by only having 8 conference games, at least from a final record perspective. 

Also the SEC has had some pretty down teams that have been punching bags for everyone in recent years. Vanderbilt and Missouri have been typically free wins for much of the conference. Arkansas and Kentucky have also been bad and good punching bags though those two teams have been fighting back and are both ranked this year. 

Mississippi State is basically the WSU of the SEC which is why Leach fits right in there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, David Marsh said:

Mississippi State is basically the WSU of the SEC which is why Leach fits right in there.

One of the best lines ever by a FishDuck writer years ago...."Starkville is the Pullman of the SEC."

Leach likes the backwaters of conferences in WSU, Texas Tech, (where you can see tumbleweeds blow downtown) and Starkville.

Mr. FishDuck

I know the SEC have the most players drafted in the NFL, but I'd like to see the percentage of players per conference who are there for a second contract.  I think the SEC is a very good conference, but I don't think they are much better than every other conference. 

They do a much better job of having a pecking order.  They don't eat each other up in conference play.  They usually have 1-3 being that much better than everybody else and not losing to teams they shouldn't lose to.