Charles Fischer

Canzano has 2021 Questions: "Flat, Dumb Football"

It is the same theme as Ryan's article, but he covers other ground for us to ponder right here. And he is a bit more forthright in his assessments...

Mr. FishDuck

Canzano had a really good title for his article, that is exactly what we watched yesterday. The situation at quarterback stood out, but it was only one example of the disorganization. Mario is intent on creating a power based methodical machine. But right now all the parts are disconnected and scattered across the field.
 I had actually forgotten about the bungled attempt at catching the punt, my mind was filled still with Iowa State executing the longest onside kick I've ever seen. Toss in the fumbles and it's easy to see how we could forget one of the mistakes, and penalties.

We can hope that an extended practice time will really help, especially the quarterback, in getting the offense an identity, and similarly, the defense will for sure be moving by design, not because the player doesn't know where he's supposed to line up. But one thing we finaly don't have to worry about? The Ducks have a kicker!

We've got two out of three ingredients for a top notch program, culture and talent.  We do not have top notch coaching.  Players are not getting developed, especially on offense.  The scheme does not exploit the skill players in the passing game. We do not create explosive plays.  In game adjustments are absent.  We scored zero points in the second half yesterday and have had problems most of the year scoring in the 4th quarter.  It is what it is, we're stuck.  

Edited by ptdduck

My honest assessment is that the Ducks just weren't in this game mentally or physically and Im not so sure of this "culture" thing exsisting at this point.

Hopefully the coaches and players will figure it out before next season.

3 hours ago, 30Duck said:

But one thing we finally don't have to worry about? The Ducks have a kicker!

Woohoo!! Gotta love the power of the 'stache!! 

I would say offensive flat, dumb football.  When our defense clicks, our game is really fun to watch.  Conversely, the Oregon offense is neither entertaining or effective.  I personally think that  MC values time of possession over either first downs or TD’s.  I want MC to dominate not just because of Oregon green but I believe he has good character. 

Like I said in yesterdays game thread.

Tough to have a consistently competitive effort when:

1. You only score 38 points in 10 second half quarters during your last 5 games. Two of those games you score zero points in the second half.

2. You have a -10 turnover ratio and turn the ball over 17 times in only 7 games.

Not sure how much you can put the turnovers on the coaches, though discombobulation was part of that equation. The lack of scoring in the second half to me points to poor adjustments and scheming.

Besides our complete meltdown on special teams and the two fumbles, the main reason we lost was the offense. Missing two opportunities to scores TD instead of FG before the half was big. I think our sputter in the second half was from constantly changing out qb’s & us not having a lot of different plays in the playbook, also punting twice late in the game as if our defense wasn’t barely holding on didn’t help as well. I think Anthony Brown should’ve played the whole game. He’s more comfortable, bigger arm, better, more fluid runner, better at avoiding pressure. I think if he adds some muscle and cuts down in the offseason he can turn into a better athlete as well. I’ve lost faith in Shough, I think he simply doesn’t have it in him anymore. I think we should also take a few pages from the chiefs playbook next season and get our receivers in more space. Maybe run some different personnel sets as well. Please feel free to give some input.

Did anyone notice any "creative excellence" on offense that the new coach, JM, was supposed to bring?  I didn't.  And besides the missed opportunities and open receivers by Shough, I thought the only difference in being competitive in the game was the TURNOVERS!  Score on just one of those four and it changes the approach to competitiveness and play selection.

2 minutes ago, Mudslide said:

Score on just one of those four and it changes the approach to competitiveness and play selection.

This what really makes this game so aggravating. They give up the opening touchdown and it looks bad. But then they fly down the field and tie it up. Then they tie it up again with a few minutes left, and look to have the momentum and the ball tpo start the second half. But of course that's when everything fell apart.

Unfortunately, in a way. Iowa State played the game that Cristobal seems to covet. Nothing exciting, just methodical, and if the other team makes mistakes, take advantage of them. So, ISU won that game, but they won't beat good teams in straight up games, and Oregon can't follow that model, and get where we want them to.