Charles Fischer

Swinson Back, but Thibs OUT?

Kayvon Thibodeaux continues to miss playing time for Oregon as he has to serve his "sentence" of sitting out the first half of the Cal game for the bogus Targeting Penalty versus Stanford.

The good news is that Bradyn Swinson is back, and in only two games he had 10 tackles, two TFLs, and two sacks with a big one at Ohio State.  You might recall I featured him in a video after the game as being impressed that a freshman demonstrated a talent for shedding blocks so well, and so early.  Boy we need him!  (But he will be rusty as first...)

Oregon has got to get a pass-rush going, and I never thought I would be writing that at this point in the season.  And if DJ Johnson can play both ways....

Kayvon Thibodeaux at Ohio State_Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles. Spot on regarding the lack of pass rush.

Ducks is 105th in sacks and 81st in QB hurries. Hard for any DBs to hold up in the face of these kind of numbers.

Looking forward to the second half when Swinson and KT are both able to play. I know the two play the same position but keeping that position with fresh legs goes a long way to keeping a pass rush. 

Also getting a lot of players back now.. both starters and back-ups which should start to stabilize Oregon's depth. 

I am predicting a slowish first half and a dominant second half. Giving players an opportunity to get comfortable. We should see an improved defense. 

Looking at the whole depth chart released for the Cal game also shows some other interesting tidbits:

https://twitter.com/Jared_Mack7/status/1447948301337169925/photo/1

Trey Benson is listed as the #2 RB, so let's hope there we have some kind of "thunder and lighting" duo with him and Dye on the rushing offense.

Linebacker groups looks much healthier, Mase and Noah are starters along with Keith Brown.  Keith is getting a ton of great game time which should yield good dividends next season.

Alex Forsyth is back so there should be more consistency up front this game.

Unless I'm missing something, Bradyn Swinson is not on the depth chart for Cal.

Edited by jrw

On 10/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, jrw said:

A number of sites are reporting he will be playing...

Bradyn Swinson Set to Return vs. California by Max Torres of Duck Digest

Mr. FishDuck

Not a whole lot has changed on the depth chart ... Verdell is off it but that's expected. 

Depth charts are really only helpful for the first week of the year. After that if changes are being made we only find out at game time. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:38 PM, jrw said:

Yeah, he is on there right behind Thibodeaux. They play the same spot.

Edited by C J