Charles Fischer

Good Gosh....What a Bad FAN VIBE!

The number of posts and page views has dropped everywhere as fans are checking "out" of Oregon football. So many other fan bases would be joyous at 4-1, but the mood here is much darker, much different.

Is Cristobal is starting to lose the fan base for Oregon Football?

I won't go into why, since we have all discussed the issues extensively.  But man...I can feel a big drop in interest, and vibe that is not good for Athletic Department if they want to fund all sports.

What are you feeling about the fan base?  A different vibe from my impression?

Disappointed fans_College Gameday Twitter.jpg

A fan at the Stanford game...

Mr. FishDuck

When you are use to something, are told it will be even better, and then it isn't, this is what happens.

5q68iq.jpg

• Haha 7

I'm a fan and call me fair weather if you want but i watch sports for entertainment... the ducks have not been entertaining to watch for a while.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, deschutesduck said:

I'm a fan and call me fair weather if you want but i watch sports for entertainment... the ducks have not been entertaining to watch for a while.

I don't think you are a fair weather fan, we have just been trained to expect innovation, excitement and now we have Cristoball. On top of that it seems like a bait and switch, which never goes over well.

If we were told we would see a bigger team and less scoring we would expect this. We were told to expect a stronger team and the same type of output. Now if the outcome really suffers, then the bait and switch may not be acceptable to anyone, from fan to players.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

When you are use to something, are told it will be even better, and then it isn't, this is what happens.

That is a hoot Haywarduck....and so true.  For some reason...dogs don't like tomatoes, and Oregon fans want what they used to have...

DAT_KC_FP (2).jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2021 at 12:02 PM, Haywarduck said:

I don't think you are a fair weather fan, we have just been trained to expect innovation, excitement and now we have Cristoball. On top of that it seems like a bait and switch, which never goes over well.

If we were told we would see a bigger team and less scoring we would expect this. We were told to expect a stronger team and the same type of output. Now if the outcome really suffers, then the bait and switch may not be acceptable to anyone, from fan to players.

put me down as the canary in the coal mine then.  I'm a cord cutter that used to pick up sling tv and the pac-12 network during the football season to watch the ducks... i haven't done either in the past 2 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bye week after a loss doesn't help the fan base's interest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, David Marsh said:

I think it's the bye week.

Charles my friend, I think you have nailed the ultimate ponder point?

FWIW. I just got back in from the driving range. 

When I first got there my mind was filled with swing mechanics. I wanted to make the 'perfect swing.' What was the third thing?

The ball was going nowhere and definitely not in the intended direction.

After 10 minutes of garbage, I took a deep breath and said to self, 'Self have fun! Eye on the ball, relax and finish your swing.'

All of a sudden the ball was going where I aimed it and at, for me, good and proper distances.

I took another deep breath asked self, 'Self, is Mario having fun? Are the players having fun? Are the fans especially the future financial lifeblood of the program, the students, having fun? 

It's supposed to be FUN for players and fans, no?

I know Mario works from dawn to dusk  and beyond. He seems to be attempting through this regimen, perfection on the field of play?  If this is the case, is this what is being translated to the coaches and the players? And to the fans watching the product on the field?

Like golf, perfection in football is unattainable. In golf, analysis leads to paralysis. On the golf course you just have to be an athlete, do your best and live with the consequences. Not swinging well on a given day? 1 billion Chinese could care less so grip it, rip it and smile. 

In CFB, young men are not going to 'get it right' on every play. If you constrain their athleticism in order to obtain perfection, if they can't have fun, robotic football will be the result. You will be teaching them to  paint by numbers, instead of allowing their artistry to flow on the field of play.

With all due respect, in the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka, 'Lighten up Mario!' Enjoy the process and let the kids and the fans have fun!

FWIW, that's 2 cents from an armchair shrink. Now, if I can only make this putt?????

• Thumbs Up 3

If the Ducks were 5-0 and played like a then #3 team I bet the fan forums would be rocking. The Furd loss sucked what little enthusiasm was left. Mediocre play calling and mediocre team play and there's not a lot to get excited about. How bad is it when fans are wondering if the Ducks will beat Cal or barely beat Cal or blow them out?

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, Confused said:

One word why.  Ducks are BORING

Right on.

I’ve posted this same sentiment a few times. Football is entertainment. If it doesn’t get the juices going, if it doesn’t provide the opportunity to stand up and cheer for an exciting play, like a long touchdown pass or a breakaway run (see Verdell at Ohio State) it’s just not as much fun.

If you don’t put an entertaining, exciting team on the field, win or lose, you will lose fans. Most fans don’t know all that much about football. A game is an event for them. They are there to have fun, let loose…..not sit around waiting for the boring Ducks offense to do something worthy of making them stand up and high 5 everyone within reach.

If this keeps up more fans will stay away and the brand will be damaged, possibly to the point where the once cool school will no longer be on top recruits’ short list.

With continued lackluster play, and with a weak remaining home schedule, expect Autzen crowds to begin drop commensurate with the upcoming chilly temperatures.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:21 PM, deschutesduck said:

put me down as the canary in the coal mine then.  I'm a cord cutter that used to pick up sling tv and the pac-12 network during the football season to watch the ducks... i haven't done either in the past 2 years.

Same here...but I haven't signed up since the Natty with OSU. I listen to Jerry Allen. 😞

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2021 at 1:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles my friend, I think you have nailed the ultimate ponder point?

FWIW. I just got back in from the driving range. 

When I first got there my mind was filled with swing mechanics. I wanted to make the 'perfect swing.' What was the third thing?

The ball was going nowhere and definitely not in the intended direction.

After 10 minutes of garbage, I took a deep breath and said to self, 'Self have fun! Eye on the ball, relax and finish your swing.'

All of a sudden the ball was going where I aimed it and at, for me, good and proper distances.

I took another deep breath asked self, 'Self, is Mario having fun? Are the players having fun? Are the fans especially the future financial lifeblood of the program, the students, having fun? 

It's supposed to be FUN for players and fans, no?

I know Mario works from dawn to dusk  and beyond. He seems to be attempting through this regimen, perfection on the field of play?  If this is the case, is this what is being translated to the coaches and the players? And to the fans watching the product on the field?

Like golf, perfection in football is unattainable. In golf, analysis leads to paralysis. On the golf course you just have to be an athlete, do your best and live with the consequences. Not swinging well on a given day? 1 billion Chinese could care less so grip it, rip it and smile. 

In CFB, young men are not going to 'get it right' on every play. If you constrain their athleticism in order to obtain perfection, if they can't have fun, robotic football will be the result. You will be teaching them to  paint by numbers, instead of allowing their artistry to flow on the field of play.

With all due respect, in the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka, 'Lighten up Mario!' Enjoy the process and let the kids and the fans have fun!

FWIW, that's 2 cents from an armchair shrink. Now, if I can only make this putt?????

Whenever I see someone stand over the ball too long, it drives me crazy. Too many swing thoughts paralyze you, tightens you up, makes you tentative.

Scott Hoch many years ago stood over a gimme putt to win The Masters, way way too long and missed it. Even the announcers said, “he just needs to hit it.”

The analysis I realize is shaky, but is Cristobal standing over the ball too long? Does he need to stop over analyzing everything, and let his players take a full swing?

Grip it and rip it?

Maybe it’s time.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, David Marsh said:

In that case, maybe call it a sell week. Cell week for inmates,  I guess.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

How bad is it when fans are wondering if the Ducks will beat Cal or barely beat Cal or blow them out?

Whew!  And Cal is probably the weakest team left on the schedule?

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The number of posts and page views has dropped everywhere as fans are checking "out" of Oregon football. So many other fan bases would be joyous at 4-1, but the mood here is much darker, much different.

Is Cristobal is starting to lose the fan base for Oregon Football?

I won't go into why, since we have all discussed the issues extensively.  But man...I can feel a big drop in interest, and vibe that is not good for Athletic Department if they want to fund all sports.

What are you feeling about the fan base?  A different vibe from my impression?

Disappointed fans_College Gameday Twitter.jpg

A fan at the Stanford game...

The powers that be got Helfrich out of there in lightning fashion in 2016 when it became apparent he was losing the team.

Can the powers that be please have an intervention with MC? 

Most fans, unlike the group here, are casual fans, and respond to one thing only, winning and losing. They couldn't care less about play calling or being boring. If a team is not winning, regardless if the defeats are 17-14 or 52-51, they'll fade away.

A string of three wins, starting with Cal, and I predict the "fans" will be back.

• Thumbs Up 2

As fans, we are fanatical, and thus the current turmoil and questions surrounding the team, marked by inconsistent play is not meeting our expectations of enthusiasm. Whether it is my beloved Ducks or Blazers, I and my fellow fanatics can become quite insufferable when things don't go our way. Sometimes destroying the joy inherent in being a fan.

Sometimes I just prefer to sit in my Duck Cave by myself avoiding the pain or pleasure of experiencing my fellow fans suffering, or joy. Pretty silly though. My alternative is to accept the pain or joy of the moment, letting things fall where they may. With the Blazers this has become far easier, given the sheer number of games. I go to games as much to spend time with friends and family, the outcome of the game, while important, is easier to let go if the desired outcome is not reached. 

My beloved Ducks, that is not so easy. Every game seems that much more important. 

What I really want to see is progress. Something closer to the potential we all see. This season does appear to be at a crossroads. And Cristobal

is tenure is at a point where fans want to see more of the potential realized. 

If things go well Friday, especially with the QB play, the narrative likely changes. 

Either way, I will be there. Go Ducks!

I think part of it was the elevated expectations when they won at tOSU when they were expected to lose so there's some level of disappointment at the lackluster play lately, I know I certainly felt that.  But before the season started I had them at 2 losses and a Rose Bowl win as the ceiling given the well-known limitations of AB under center and I still stick with that.  They're not a CFB team but certainly good enough to win the Pac12 for the 3rd year in a row and bring back a Rose Bowl trophy.  That's still a very successful season in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hate me for this, but I think there is just way too much angst here about this team.

The tenor of the comments has gone, from Ohio State to Stanford, from "Mario is a genius" to "Mario needs to get out of the way or be fired"

The unrelenting and, I think the largely undeserved, negativity, is killing some of my interest in talking about the Ducks, but not watching them.

The team is ranked 9 in the country and is 4-1, but many here seem to be on the ledge, ready to jump (and take the coaching staff with them).

From my perspective, this team should never have been thought of this year as a top 10 team. It's too young, too inexperienced, and now, too injured to be that good.

The hype about the Ducks has been largely about their recruiting, which has yet to be borne out (see above for reasons), which I think has let expectations get ahead of reality.

Now, all that said, if this team is not really good in 2022 and 2023 and beyond, there is real reason for concern.

Sure, there seem to be some coaching issues, but there always are for all us armchair quarterbacks and couch coaches.

I'm confident someone will call me a sunshine pumper, but so be it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I watched a good part of the first half of the Red River Shootout last Saturday.  THAT is the kind of college football that I want to see.  Teams going at it with style and aggression. Taking shots on offense and defense.  Oregon football has become lame. Offensive plays to gain just a few short yards and defense that lets teams march up and down the field. 

Everyone who loves college football can see that Oregon's style is just not very inspirational, and it is the same kind of stuff that we have been seeing since 2018.  The Ohio St game was really fun to watch, but I think that will be the high water mark for the next several years. 

When we heard that there would be no QB change after the Stanford game, I think that took a lot of air out of our balloons. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/12/2021 at 2:30 PM, oregon112 said:

When we heard that there would be no QB change after the Stanford game, I think that took a lot of air out of our balloons. 

Amen.  That is true for thousands of people, and begins to make people think twice....

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/12/2021 at 2:28 PM, jrw said:

Hate me for this, but I think there is just way too much angst here...

Now, all that said, if this team is not really good in 2022 and 2023 and beyond, there is real reason for concern.

^^^^^^^^ YEP!!!   

Another point is the PLAYERS GOTTA PLAY.

I see a LOT of blame at most programs around the country by fans that blame the coaches, when the final responsibility falls on the player's ability to execute. I wonder how many FSU fans would take back Jimbo about now?

But I do want to see more young thoroughbreds out on the field.

On 10/12/2021 at 5:28 PM, jrw said:

Hate me for this, but I think there is just way too much angst here about this team.

The tenor of the comments has gone, from Ohio State to Stanford, from "Mario is a genius" to "Mario needs to get out of the way or be fired"

The unrelenting and, I think the largely undeserved, negativity, is killing some of my interest in talking about the Ducks, but not watching them.

The team is ranked 9 in the country and is 4-1, but many here seem to be on the ledge, ready to jump (and take the coaching staff with them).

From my perspective, this team should never have been thought of this year as a top 10 team. It's too young, too inexperienced, and now, too injured to be that good.

The hype about the Ducks has been largely about their recruiting, which has yet to be borne out (see above for reasons), which I think has let expectations get ahead of reality.

Sure, there seem to be some coaching issues, but there always are for all us armchair quarterbacks and couch coaches.

You're a sunshine pumper and I love it!

4-1 and an open path to the Pac-12N and the champ game and then"? Nothing to sneeze about. 

Let's go Ducks! 

• Thanks 1

I am definitely not a fair weather nor bandwagon fan.

I still look for Duck news wherever I can (for free), yet I find myself ignoring the national tv pre-game and weekly programs after a loss as I already witnessed it and don't need any additional input.  However, after a win, I will look at more sources to see if they are seeing anything I may have missed.

It is interesting to note that on some national sites the Stanford loss is looking favorable due to 1) no Moorehead; 2) highly questionable un-timed down to tie; and, OT loss.

Of course, I still see bad decisions by AB as the primary reason for the loss.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I think the fans (and I will speak mostly for myself here) have taken on a bit of the character of the team i.e. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

This week has been all Mr. Hyde.

I actually had a lot more angst early in the season after the first game, but it was mostly due to the smothering smoke from wildfires that we endured for weeks. Nothing worse than 500+ AQI to make a person grumpy.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

If the Ducks were 5-0 and played like a then #3 team I bet the fan forums would be rocking. The Furd loss sucked what little enthusiasm was left. Mediocre play calling and mediocre team play and there's not a lot to get excited about. How bad is it when fans are wondering if the Ducks will beat Cal or barely beat Cal or blow them out?

The fan base was concerned due to the style of play the two games before Stanford.  What happened at the Stanford game was what we were all afraid of.  Barely beat Cal, blow them out, or lose like to them like they did last year.  Its anybody's guess.

The performance level is definitely not up to Ducks standards, we all see that.

One problem for me is the starting time for some of these games. Playing games on the road early in the morning and at home at 7:30 at night is not the best for fans. Portland fans don’t get home till Sunday morning.

And some of my friends with season tickets have quit going to home games because they like to tailgate at halftime but they now cannot re enter the game. Plus getting a cold adult beverage is a challenge in the stadium.

All these things can add up to poor attendance.

Be interesting to see the turnout Friday Night.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

As a season ticket holder, the continued night games and covid policies (with no option for refunds), combined with poor and unexciting play, means we're out. I regret ever buying into the current regime. 

Hoping for change, but not holding my breath. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:28 PM, jrw said:

I don't disagree with you. Yet the product on the field is boring, predictable and just not fun to watch.

Because of this, could we lose recruits? Arizona is going after that amazing athlete in CA, I can just hear them say something like, "they can't/don't throw downfield, your talents will be wasted"

"Come to AZ, we know how to use your talents".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I hate,  hate, hate night games and have decided not to go to them any more. But, that said, I did sell my tickets to the AZ and CAL games, so someone will be filling those seats. Of course, I don't know if they are/were Duck fans.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:25 PM, Annie said:

I hate,  hate, hate night games and have decided not to go to them any more. But, that said, I did sell my tickets to the AZ and CAL games, so someone will be filling those seats. Of course, I don't know if they are/were Duck fans.

Way to go Annie, making sure your seats are filled; I did the same thing as I cannot go to the game, get home at midnight here in Eugene, and then start all my game/article/video/photographer tasks at that hour.  I'm getting too old for that!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Jrw, lovin the sunshine buddy!  I agree totally.

for me, a big part of the angst comes from reading posts like “if they don’t win by ## many points, I’m gonna quit watching” or “the coaches and the players need replaced”

Come on, are we Duck fans or fans of blowouts?  I love a good stompin as much as the next guy, but what I really love is watching the Ducks, win, lose, or draw,

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, PittDuck said:

for me, a big part of the angst comes from reading posts like “if they don’t win by ## many points, I’m gonna quit watching” or “the coaches and the players need replaced”

Come on, are we Duck fans or fans of blowouts?  I love a good stompin as much as the next guy, but what I really love is watching the Ducks, win, lose, or draw,

It's way more than just winning a game.  The team has just become boring.  i'm so tired of runs between the tackles and no imagination  for an offense.  I'm tired of a qurterback who is so limited.  It's more than wins and losses, I want to see a team thats fun to watch, and ours is not.

Edited by 47sgs