Jon Joseph

COME ON DUCKS FANS, LET THE SUNSHINE IN!

Before the 2021 season kicked off my guess is that the majority of fans would have had the team after 5 games ticketed at 4-1?

With a W against Stanford and an L at tOSU.

As Puddles sat back and relaxed ASU cleared a path to the Pac-12 N title and into the champ game. The Ducks have played pretty darn well in the champ game, zero Ls to date.

I have to remind myself of THIS! The Ducks has a roster that even with the dings, is equal or better than any team on the schedule. The Ducks won in Columbus, something that has not happened in many a moon.

I also have to remind myself that Stanford is the Ducks nemesis. And the L at Stanford? Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. 1 hankie stays in pocket and the Ducks win the game.

We can all and I cop to being guilty, bemoan close Ws against inferior opponents, but they are still Ws.  

Just win baby. It may not be stylish, it may not be exciting or pretty but at the end of the day it's all about scoreboard. 1 more point against the opponent like Ole Miss' 1 point win against Arkansas last week is still a win.

Ducks run the table and the early games, except the W in Columbus, will be long forgotten come game 12 vs the Beavers.

'The evil that men do lives long after them, the good is entered with their bones.'

BEAT CAL Friday night is as of now, all that matters. 

It may be ugly but a W is never ugly. Especially against a division for and any conference foe.

Keep on winning. Unlike the Coaches and AP Polls, the Playoff Committee is not going to overlook that W in Columbus. Especially when Ohio State wins the B1G title.

A 13-1 Ducks team is in the playoff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who is this guy? You've jumped to the other side!  Let's follow him!

giphy.gif

But you do make some great points Jon...and if Columbus could happen, then so could a big turnaround.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My best case scenario was a loss at tosu, and then we build through the season. I think the win against tosu has been a tough one to live up too.

We had to lose a game and may lose again. The good news is it isn't over and we can build out of this. The building starts this Friday and we need to see a good foundation laid with the defense and offense moving on up. From there who knows, maybe your prediction just might happen, crazier thing have happened!

On 10/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Before the 2021 season kicked off my guess is that the majority of fans would have had the team after 5 games ticketed at 4-1?

With a W against Stanford and an L at tOSU.

As Puddles sat back and relaxed ASU cleared a path to the Pac-12 N title and into the champ game. The Ducks have played pretty darn well in the champ game, zero Ls to date.

I have to remind myself of THIS! The Ducks has a roster that even with the dings, is equal or better than any team on the schedule. The Ducks won in Columbus, something that has not happened in many a moon.

I also have to remind myself that Stanford is the Ducks nemesis. And the L at Stanford? Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. 1 hankie stays in pocket and the Ducks win the game.

We can all and I cop to being guilty, bemoan close Ws against inferior opponents, but they are still Ws.  

Just win baby. It may not be stylish, it may not be exciting or pretty but at the end of the day it's all about scoreboard. 1 more point against the opponent like Ole Miss' 1 point win against Arkansas last week is still a win.

Ducks run the table and the early games, except the W in Columbus, will be long forgotten come game 12 vs the Beavers.

'The evil that men do lives long after them, the good is entered with their bones.'

BEAT CAL Friday night is as of now, all that matters. 

It may be ugly but a W is never ugly. Especially against a division for and any conference foe.

Keep on winning. Unlike the Coaches and AP Polls, the Playoff Committee is not going to overlook that W in Columbus. Especially when Ohio State wins the B1G title.

A 13-1 Ducks team is in the playoff.

If the Ducks go 13-1, yes, they have a shot at the playoffs. But that’s a big IF. They have some tough road games coming up. Winning convincingly the rest of the season and in the Pac-12 championship game would certainly help their chances. You gotta figure the SEC to have two teams, especially if Bama can beat Georgia. The Big Ten champ will likely make it (which, if it’s Ohio State, will help Oregon’s chances) then there’s the Pac-12, the ACC, and Cincinnati if they win out, which is likely given they have a weaker schedule than everyone else.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:03 PM, Confused said:

Jon may be right .   A 1 loss duck team could be in.   But a 1 loss Bama and a 1 loss georgia will be in automatic.  A 1 loss OKlahoma is automatic.  A 1 loss Ohio state is automatic.  So of the five 1 loss teams Ducks are out.  Bank it. 

we need big ten or big 12 champ to have 2 losses.   Oregon’s best chance if they run the table is for Alabama, or Ohio State to pick up another loss.  But then you have an undefeated Cincinnati that destroyed ND.  I’m sorry without a lot of help Ducks best Hope even if they run the table is a big six bowl.  

I’m depressing myself 

Outside of Ws and Ls, the playoff spots are largely a 'beauty contest'. 

Oregon got its spots in 2010 and 2014 due to looking oh so good.  In 2012, Oregon lost to Stanford late in the season. Alabama lost to A&M also late in the season, but bama went on to the conf championship game, after blowing out Auburn. 

Oregon would get in front of Ohio St with even records, but only if Oregon starts looking like a playoff team. 

The problem is - Oregon does not look good and if they are beating unranked mediocre pac12 teams by one or two scores, they will not be impressing the selection crew.  But if the Ducks start blowing out teams and get the excitement cranked up, they could get a spot. 

If bama loses to Ga in the SEC champ game, then they are out, and another spot opens up.  

On 10/12/2021 at 11:30 PM, DUCKED said:

If the Ducks go 13-1, yes, they have a shot at the playoffs. But that’s a big IF. They have some tough road games coming up. Winning convincingly the rest of the season and in the Pac-12 championship game would certainly help their chances. You gotta figure the SEC to have two teams, especially if Bama can beat Georgia. The Big Ten champ will likely make it (which, if it’s Ohio State, will help Oregon’s chances) then there’s the Pac-12, the ACC, and Cincinnati if they win out, which is likely given they have a weaker schedule than everyone else.

Bama and UGA run the rest of the table and Bama wins in Atlanta? You'd have a 1L Bama + a 1L UGA but only 1 would be a conference champion.

Bama would finish 12-1 as would UGA. But both teams would not have as good an OOC win as Oregon at putative B1G champ Ohio State.

The B1G E is about to eat itself up. 5 B1G teams in the top 10 today. 4 from the B1G E. And if Ohio State wins out it will have  a SOS that will really bump up the Ducks SOS.

A 12-1 conference champ Oregon is in the playoff or all heck breaks loose.

Keep on rooting for ASU to keep it keeping on. ASU finishes 11-1 and it will be a top 10+ team coming into the Pac-12 champ game.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Who is this guy? You've jumped to the other side!  Let's follow him!

giphy.gif

But you do make some great points Jon...and if Columbus could happen, then so could a big turnaround.

Indeed it can happen.

A 12-1 conference champ Oregon will be in the PO over a 13-0 Cincinnati. A 13-0 UGA is in. An 11-2 Bama is not. Both at 12-1? I still like the Ducks chances considering that neither SEC team would have a big OOC win.

The W at Ohio State is playoff gold.

Playoff gold, yes. But only if they run the table, and end up handing Ohio State it’s only loss.