30Duck

It's Time For Ty

It's time for a quarterback change at Oregon. Anthony Brown's best game was against Ohio State, where he managed the game perfectly, which meant handing the ball to CJ Verdell. 

image.jpeg.d4dedc0cc666ab2832dde80ac78e8221.jpeg

But, Verdell is gone, and with him gone, Oregon can't get by with a game manager like Brown. Look no further than Oklahoma. The Sooners were sputtering against Texas. Spencer Rattler entered the season as the Heisman front runner; he wasn't getting it done, so Coach Lincoln Riley made the switch, at halftime, against a big rival, to a Freshman!

It worked. Caleb Williams came in, and the Sooners exploded. Riley says Rattler might still get the start this Saturday. But, he, the two quarterbacks, the team, will be fine either way..

Mario doesn't have to make the change at halftime. He's had more than enough time to get Thompson prepared for a home game against probably the weakest team Oregon will face for the rest of the season. What are you going to do, Mario?

image.jpeg.7929f14298f021e25e61fbd11d0de59f.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to respectfully disagree on the QB change and have the faith in Mario that Ty, and the others, aren't ready yet.  We saw Ty miss three straight throws over the middle in one of his outings.

Caleb Williams looked a lot better than Ty did in his outings, and it was against much better opposition than Ty faced. 

It is sad to see other teams WRs get separation when it doesn't seem that our can.

Hopefully Moorehead is back and he calls more crossing patterns, rub routes, double moves, something to get guys open.

• Thumbs Up 2

It may be time, but Mario's watch is on a different time zone, his year may be off too. Seriously Mario just isn't ready to let a young guy lead until we absolutely have to, which may happen.

It think it will be time when AB gets injured. I hope this doesn't happen, but if we continue to see AB lead the team in run attempts he won't last the full season. It may be tomorrow or the next game, but somebody is going to take him down a notch. Teams are starting to expect AB to keep the ball and there are only so many hits a qb can take, he has already been seriously injured twice. Sadly the season won't end well for AB if the trend we see keeps going.

The other trigger will be a continued struggle with the passing game. If AB struggles, maybe has a few interceptions even, Moorhead and Cristobal will be forced to put in one of the young guns.  I could even see them putting in Butterfield to lead a stronger passing attack. Without Verdell we are going to need a stronger passing game and a more rounded attack.

Basically, the clock is turning to back-up time on many of the fans watches. The watch which counts doesn't see it that way, but there are some triggers which may turn the clock to where so many fans see it, but I hope not. AB can still be the man, we just have to evolve into the team we can be under Anthony.

5qesc0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Anthony Brown in 2021 is playing at a level he has played at his entire career. 1 big exception, in 2021 he won his 1st game as a starter versus a top 25 team.

Ty Thompson, 6'4", 223 pounds has upside the Brown does not have and frankly, never had. 

But with the system Oregon is running on O, does it matter?

Caleb Williams was the number 1 QB recruit in the country. He is a far better runner than Rattler and Williams being a run threat opened up the entire OK O. Williams running ability allowed running back  Brooks to break off big runs on counter plays. Plays that worked when the D had to account for Williams. And an average OK OL, now able to play in space with favorable angles, started making blocks.

I watch Mario's O and often shout at my TV: Run the other play! 

Can a new OC make a difference? Look no further than Dave Aranda's Baylor team that struggled in 2020 and is 5-1 in 2021. Why? Because Aranda brought in Jeff Grimes from BYU. The OC that jacked up Zach Wilson's game. Aranda, the DC at LSU before taking the job at Baylor, turned the O 100% over to Grimes. Baylor with mostly the same personnel is lighting it up on O.

A fascinating game this Saturday? 5-1 BYU at 5-1 Baylor.

Mario wants a game manager at QB. A guy who can control the ball. A guy who is not a risk taker. Thus, I'm not really sure the starter at QB for the Ducks matters all that much? And I am puzzled by the emphasis in bringing in quality WRs?

Under Mario we will be watching grind it out games. What material changes on O have we seen since Joe Moorhead arrived? What I hope we will not see after this season is a whole bunch of Ducks flocking to the transfer portal?

If it is frustrating to us fans it has be very frustrating to the young guys including Ty, in the QB room.

Due to the style of O Mario prefers to run a whole lot of talent is being kept under wraps. 

• Thumbs Up 1