Charles Fischer

Fentress Weighs in on Oregon QB Question...

I am surprised with his take, but see his reasoning--although I wonder if he watched the Stanford game?

Fentress 1.jpg

Fentress 2.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Too bad the coach is not creative, is stubborn and insists on running between the tackles. 

He’s an o line mentality and not a spread the field mentality. 

a brown is in his sixth year with experience or high floor but very low ceiling. He’s hit his ceiling already. 

too bad our great recruiter head coach is the way he is. He is unlike coach Riley of Oklahoma. The 4th and 1 plays must be different from up the middle. 
Play the freshman. At least he can pass. A brown cannot pass. He’s not pro material not accurate passer. 

Just my humble opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on the way our QB has been playing we are NOT a top ten team.

At this point, unless AB can significantly improve his passing and decision making, I have accepted that we will struggle to simply win any games. Also will be very surprised if we win the PAC 12. 

Without seeing Thompson in practice or on the field more, it is nearly impossible to make a determination whether he is ready or not.

And one does not want to totally destroy Browns confidence. at least what is left of it, by benching him prematurely. 

Thus, it seems to me they need to find a way to get Thompson more live reps. Either by getting a big first half lead, thus allowing him to play the bulk of the 2nd half. Or by finding packages for Thompson they feel he runs well, and interjecting them into the offense on a limited basis. 

I am not a big proponent of the two QB system. I'd rather not see it. But in this case it seems as they need to find ways with both Brown and Thompson to give them both the best opportunity to succeed. Play to their strengths. It is an imperfect situation that requires an imperfect, but creative solution. 

On 10/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Fentress 1.jpg

Fentress 2.jpg

Have to say I agree with Fentress.

• Thumbs Up 2

If the offense doesn't look vastly improved on Friday, then it's definitely time to make a qb change.

AB must play great, or make the change. The way we have been playing, we couldn't beat anyone ranked above us anyway.

From what little we've seen, all 3 backups can throw downfield. 

That alone is an improvement worth making a change. 

"But I've been told repeatedly that Thompson is not ready to take over."

Is the choice necessarily between AB and Thompson?  What about Butterfield?  He has one more year in the system.  And, to me, looked superior to Thompson in the spring game.  Importantly, he demonstrated the ability to connect on downfield passes.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's a bit of an eventuality that Brown is replaced this season by one of the younger guys.  Without being a downfield threat and our #1 running back out for the season it's really going to make it easier for opposing defenses.  I can see us beating Cal but if the team keeps playing the way it has been we'll surely drop another game or two, plus I'd prefer to have a QB that has a few starts under his belt when we open against Georgia next year.

With the 'system' being run on O, does it matter?

If he was to start, would TY be allowed to show his superior athleticism?  Would the young stud WRs he practices with be on the field? Would the playbook open up?

If the play calls are 3 RPOs and a cloud of dust, I'm not certain who starts at QB will make a difference?

It will be grind it out ball on O that hopefully will grind down the CAL D? Running a conservative O, TCU did put up 34 points on CAL. And the WAZZU D shut the CAL O down.

On paper, this game should not be close. But, that's on paper.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

On paper, this game should not be close. But, that's on paper.

Yep....who knows what we see?

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2021 at 2:23 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With the 'system' being run on O, does it matter?

This is the problem. As much as I enjoy making fun of Todd McSham and his appraisal of Justin. The quarterback playing for the Chargers is not the one that was playing at Oregon a couple of years ago.

Hearing that Mario doesn't feel it's time to make a QB switch doesn't reveal anything other than AB was Mario's choice before the season started, and nothing has happened to change his mind. 

I respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with Fentress. Mark my words.....I guarantee by the end of this season we are going to be wishing we had a QB who is going into next season with a lot of reps under his belt. The best way to coach up talent is through reps. 

Our 4-1 record is essentially a 8-4 record with AB under center the rest of the way.