BigDucksFan

Daily article: "10 Candidates to Replace Andy Avalos as Defensive Coordinator"

Add your comments to the daily article here in this topic. A link to the article is here.

Coach Boles you mention that ".....Coach Andy Avalos most likely moving on ......" meaning he hasn't accepted the job yet. With luck he'll stay because this program offers him the opportunity to progress and later take a HC at a better school. 

Good to see we have some good choices. 

Some intriguing choices, Coach.  With the coaching change at Texas, this would be the best time to approach Muschamp. Lupoi has a colorful, to say the least past. At Cal, he was suspended for a game after a player faked an injury in an effort to slow down the Ducks' up tempo offense, and there were recruiting allegations while he was at Washington. 
 It would be nice to get Peter Sirmon back in the flock after stops at other Pac-12 schools. Mario has done a great job with his staff, and whether it is one of these , or someone else, I have confidence it will be a good choice.

The coaches at San Diego State come from the Rocky Long lineage, and they know great defense.  Superb research as I was reminded of a number of great candidates.  Thanks Coach!

Mr. FishDuck

It is great that Oregon fans can ponder all the amazing candidates for Avalos DC position, but I think it is best to give the exact quote from Mark Twain in response to the article.

He said: ‘I can understand perfectly how the report of my illness got about, I have even heard on good authority that I was dead. James Ross Clemens, a cousin of mine, was seriously ill two or three weeks ago in London, but is well now. The report of my illness grew out of his illness. The report of my death was an exaggeration.

Unknown.jpeg.96f980120c440418726da49907431137.jpeg            Maybe, but not yet,     Andy.jpg.7cc0a3998c7847b8825e93f6112b4cde.jpg

I like Steele, Mason and Sirmon from that list.  Another coach to consider is UCLA assistant Brian Norwood who completely revamped UCLA's porous defense.  Chip Kelly hired him from Navy and he installed an attacking 4-2-5 defense that led the conference in sacks.  

If Avalos leaves I am sure Cristobal will find a great replacement. I do not find myself concerned about the defensive side of the ball at this time, even though the defense under-preformed this year, because of how young the defense is and how much potential they have. Whoever the DC is they will need to ensure they get the most out of the potential ability that is on this defense.

I'm just shocked that Brady Hoke isn't on this list.

My vote for DC next year is Andy Avalos.

Just sayin.

39 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

Just sayin.

Ohhh the flashbacks I just had when you invoked Hoke... I thought I had those memories nice and suppressed.

Though in reality I would prefer to hold onto Avalos for at least another year. The defense was exposed more by the youth factor than scheme. The scheme failed when there was not enough on-field player leadership. Need to get this defense generating more turnovers. Though turnovers on the other side of the ball are way more troubling.

1 hour ago, Jon Sousa said:

Just sayin.

Thanks, Jon.  I just finished lunch when I read this and now SUCH indigestion....my stomach is doing the Hoke Poke.  😱

13 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

Add your comments to the daily article here in this topic. A link to the article is here.

Coach Boles you mention that ".....Coach Andy Avalos most likely moving on ......" meaning he hasn't accepted the job yet. With luck he'll stay because this program offers him the opportunity to progress and later take a HC at a better school. 

Good to see we have some good choices. 

The intro to the article was originally written as if it were a foregone conclusion that he's leaving. After hearing rumblings of Coach Avalos being the favorite, I wrote the article just in case, so that we'd have a timely piece when the news actually broke today or tomorrow, as these were the dates I was seeing. Then a situation came up were an article was needed, so the intro was tweaked and used as a conversation starter for a subject folks were already thinking about.

I would love to see Coach Avalos as the Oregon DC next season.

2 hours ago, David Marsh said:

The scheme failed when there was not enough on-field player leadership

Very good point, David, and why retaining Avalos would be great. The last thing the Ducks need is for having the D need to "learn" a new defense. In every sport, the goal is for players to not have to think, to have them all just knowing where to be, what to do.

Yes, as we know...the news changes fast, and we cannot know in advance when the best time is to publish an article.  I thought (as publisher) that it was a high probability of Avalos leaving, thus why I wanted to publish this article today. (The news could break this afternoon, tonight, in the morning...and when you publish after the fact--it's old. And besides we learned a ton from the article.)

And because Coach Boles is first at giving us great options--his article is killing it out there with a HUGE page-view day for the site.  (FishDuck)  And it is an adjustment to me, as I now have two websites!  FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks Forum!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

8 hours ago, ptdduck said:

I like Steele, Mason and Sirmon from that list.  Another coach to consider is UCLA assistant Brian Norwood who completely revamped UCLA's porous defense.  Chip Kelly hired him from Navy and he installed an attacking 4-2-5 defense that led the conference in sacks.  

I actually didn't even think of that. Coach Norwood would be a solid coach. After reading your comment, I went to watch some of the UCLA and USC game since I haven't researched them and I do see some of the 4-2-5 stuff you mention among Coach Azzinaro's 3-4.

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent article and the kind of piece that makes FishDuck such a valuable place to hang out. Almost every one of your suggestions made me think good thoughts about what could be. The headline did make me wonder if there was news I had missed, but I understand now, having once been a prized member of this self-same polished and powerful, prize-winning journalistic enterprise.