Charles Fischer

I'm Bummed: I Had to Ban/Blacklist the First Member Since the Forum Returned

I do not like to use the word, "depressed," but I do think "feeling bummed" at the moment is apt.  I had to ban/blacklist a fellow who, the majority of the time, was a good contributor here.  But when he went off-the-rails...it was something I could not allow to continue.  This actually was his second time, as I banned him a year ago, but I do like to give people second chances.

The negative and the positive to giving people a second chance is that it works out about half the time.  But the half that it doesn't is a downer, but I must protect everyone from the nastiness of the rest of the world.  And I genuinely liked the guy, but he could not summon impulse control within him.  The problem is not with the rules since we had so many thousands of great comments with so few deleted.  The problem is with just a few people on occasion who cannot control their behaviors.

If this seems like I'm laying on the therapist's couch talking to you--I am.  I love the community here, and I love reading all the posts that are so remarkable due to the absence of any tension or aggression.  But like everyone else--I hate being the bad-guy.  But I do it, as I promised I would, because if I don't...things can get ugly in a hurry.

The GOOD NEWS?

Thankfully the vast majority of you never saw the offending posts as we eliminated them immediately.  And the last offending one was actually in the middle of the night!  Can you imagine getting out of bed, going downstairs to the computer (I saw the post on my phone) and then deleting the post and then banning the guy at 2:43 AM?  Geez...

And the good news is that I rarely ever have to do that, or even delete a post.  And usually when I do the offending party writes, "sorry, my-bad, love what you are doing and I won't do that again."  And I tell them "thanks, and let's forget it and move on."  And we do.  Most everybody here are really reasonable people, and that makes it easier.  But there are some messed up people out there and a free forum like this is going to have some turn up that I have to deal with.

But you don't, and all the squabbling done in the email exchanges and ugly stuff?  You won't ever see it.  We don't need the buzz-kill to our fun atmosphere, and I am not going to let the half-of-1% make things dour for the rest of us.

Hug a Moderator!

These guys cover a shift where they check in every so often and in the process of reading posts as they normally would--check for violations.  It is easy work, and they agreed to a schedule so that things are caught within an hour or so, and we all should express our appreciation to Steven A., Haywarduck, Smith72 and 30Duck.  Their posts are in light green and mine are in yellow so you quickly know who is keeping an eye on things for the benefit of all.

Can you spare a few hours out of the 168 hours in each week?  Email me charles@fishduck.com and join the team that makes this forum so incredibly special.

YOU can REPORT an Offending Post Anonymously

You have to follow the rules so if someone is violating a rule and we haven't seen it yet--let us know!  It takes ten seconds and you can learn how to do it right here.  The violator and the community does not know you reported it, and everyone is grateful when you do!

The objective with this post was not to dump my "being-down" on you, but to let you know that people are actively working to protect the community--and it happens every day to keep this GREEN REFUGE the special place that it is.

And my thanks to all of you who create the 99.50% of the posts that are fun and informative to read.

Charles

Fans4_Pac12 Video.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

umm... testing... testing... whew 

kidding aside i really appreciate the work the moderators do and the amazingly insightful contributions from posters

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ya'know... It's NOT me!

OK, not funny, I know. 

I appreciate the dedication, Charles!

• Thanks 1

Charles, getting up in the middle of the night to keep things on the proper path is above and beyond. We do appreciate all you do.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks, Mr FishDuck!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

There were no moderators to hug so I went to Hooters. If they WERE moderators they now feel quite appreciated. Wondering though, with a 99.5% success rate will you be requiring vacillation and shots for boosters? 

Thank you Charles, for the time and dedication you pour into this forum.  I had kept the site bookmarked even after it had been taken down.  I was hoping against hope that every time I checked it that it would be live again! I am grateful to you and my fellow forum members to have a place to come and enjoy Ducks comradeship without the negativity accompanying so many other sites.

Go Ducks!!

• Thanks 1

If you are like me I have to visit the head 3 times a night anyway. 😂😂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:36 AM, Just Ducky said:

If you are like me I have to visit the head 3 times a night anyway. 😂😂

Yep....I am at that age.  That is actually what happened....as I had to get up to go to the rest-room.  Since I've been dealing with this guy lately and knowing that he will post at night--I decided to check on my phone and see if he had.  Then I read it, groaned and went downstairs to deal with it.  (AFTER I went to the head!)

Mr. FishDuck