Charles Fischer

Still Processing Too? I do not Know WHAT to Make of it...

I am beginning to accept that this is not a great team, and we will have a fair amount of losses ahead of us.  If Helfrich, Chip or Bellotti were in charge of the offense--we would be a good, bordering on being a great overall team, as this defense is not quite what I hoped, although it made great strides tonight.

This team feels like an NFL team that barely wins...not the quality, but the style.  But in college football it feels like a 7-6 or 8-5 team...

I am going to have to accept it and be a loyal fan no matter what.  I am getting past being angry about Cristobal dumping two high-scoring offenses at Oregon over an entire decade and four coaches preceding him--this is what he is, and it isn't going to change. 

So I, Mr. FishDuck have to change.  (The fans booing did not get the memo yet)

Female Fan_KC_FP.jpg\

Scoring 24 points at home after a bye against Cal is a disgrace, but I have to get over it. (Because Cristobal isn't going to change)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!

You're right Charles, it just isn't going to get any better than this. Now the question is whether I can summon the motivation to keep watching games in the future. 

Luckily I am on a free trial of Fubo for the next month so I can just record the games and fast forward through a bunch of the bad play and then rewind when it appears a decent play has been made. I think this will be my MO from here on out.

What we have seen on the field is definitely testing my fair weather fan meter.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone on the East Coast, I'm content with my decision to get a good night's sleep after they scored to go up 10-7. Just watched the extended highlights and that was aggravating enough.

Never thought I'd hear a 5-1, top-10 [sic] Oregon team getting booed in Autzen. Strange times. 

Yeah, for Mario, that was a win, it's working, keep it going. AB had some nice passes, 20-29, 244, 1 TD, 0 INT's, But, when he really needed to move the ball, and make it happen, he ran, and got a TD, Fortunately, Dye ran more, and better, 19-145 and a touchdown. 

It shouldn't have taken much homework, but the announcers brought up bringing Ty in as much as we are here,  20-29, 244, TD, 0 INT's is right there with the line he had against Ohio State that got him Quarterback Of The Week honors, but all I could think about is that didn't look like the QB of a top-10 team.

Garbers didn't ever literally leave the ball on the field like AB did, and fortunately, he didn't lead the Bears in a final minutes game winning drive. Cal looked like a 1-5 team, that couldn't get it done at the end again, and Oregon was the team that managed to hold them off. 

• Like 1

They are 5-1 and largely control their destiny but this Ducks offense isn’t doing anything against talented well coached defenses. 

AB is solid but unspectacular. He made one big throw yesterday. For a TD but the bottom line is Redd and Johnson are experienced but lack physical dominance, like Devon Williams who had a nice game.

At 5’9” 175 lbs you are at a disadvantage at wr unless you can out run, out quick, or out muscle your way to being open. 

Why the Ducks couldn’t run earlier,  more and use less QB runs escapes me. Ducks should have run all day on Cal. 

AB made some great plays on the ground but seems to lack field vision, targets receivers with his eyes and misses the read often enough to hurt in close games. 

I'm most worried that another week our MC preaches, we eagerly suck it up, and then watch the same boring offensive product another week. 

It’s one great thing to coach up 1-3 star players and win but feels worse to have to loaded roster and feel like each week we’re getting less than the full capability. 

The intuitive overall feeling is of a very average team not meeting expectations and allowing opponents to dictate. 

And the clock management, AGAIN???

Edited by Steven A
Because I live in a van down by the river.

The SF Giants broadcasters have a name for this type of play .... TORTURE.

Are we bowl eligible yet?  Cuz it's going to be quite ride to get there. 

FIVE AND ONE;  CINCO AND UNO;  5 - 1. -  POSITIVE!

BETTING THE OVER? - NEGATIVE.

BOOING THE HOME TEAM? - NATIVES ARE RESTLESS.   

How long before the fans start voting with their pocketbooks? 

• Like 1

Hi im new here!

Just going to throw my 2 cents on what i think is happening. 

I feel that Cristobal is basically letting this year be run by the seniors and super seniors. I think he feels bad about how Covid19 ruined their senior year, so he is letting those guys play more. Just look at his face on the sidelines, he looks kinda torn, or maybe thats just me. Deep down i think Mario knows this team has a clear ceiling with the vets, but he is letting them play it out and see gow far they get.

Now whether or not that is the right move is totally debatable, and could really end up biting Mario. 

2022 is the real prove it year for Mario. 11-1 minimum next year, or that seat starts to get hot. 

Also goo ducks!!

Maybe I will turn into an Oregon version of Kansas fans...."look at the bright side....Basketball season begins in just a little over three weeks is all!"

Dana2_EJ_FP.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/16/2021 at 8:12 AM, Jon Joseph said:

FIVE AND ONE;  CINCO AND UNO;  5 - 1. -  POSITIVE!

BETTING THE OVER? - NEGATIVE.

BOOING THE HOME TEAM? - NATIVES ARE RESTLESS.   

We already are

Student section was full

High dollar donor seats on the 50 under the cover weren't half full at the end 

As a season ticket holder, we're done 

This type of play will have a negative effect on recruiting. Kids want to win. The "family atmosphere" isn't enough to entice the best to come to Oregon. They must have positive results.

Wins, Conference Championships, Bowl wins, Playoff wins, National Championships. These are the expectations of the folks who pay the bills.

Oregon fans like an exciting brand of football. You cannot change that. MC needs to remember that he was hired to do a job. Win the Oregon way. Because I guarantee that the millions of Duck fans aren't going to change. 

A win is a win, yes. But I want to enjoy watching a game. I want to enjoy the experience. The brand of football we've seen of late hasn't met the expectations of the job description MC was hired to do. The man needs to do the job he was hired to do!

Of course, this is just my opinion. But somehow I don't feel alone.   

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 5

My frustration is that this team will not play 4 quarters of football.  We had 3 or 4 awesome drives in the first half where they drove the length of the field only to shoot themselves squarely in the foot with penalties and fumbles.

Each of those drives would have been a score for a team that wanted it.  Watching the game last night, it felt almost like they did everything they could not to Win.

On the positive side, KT is an absolute beast!  Noah Sewell is far and away the toughest player the Ducks have had in a long time.  At least twice he got up after a tackle just radiating pain, but he stayed in and kept making plays.  No wonder he is a team captain.

Unfortunately, unless they turn things around, I see more losses than wins for this team in the second half of the season.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question: last play of the game - 2 seconds until over.

Why the shotgun snap?  AB had several bobbled snaps earlier in the game.

If he fumbles and Cal recovers they either tie with PAT kick  (then it's overtime) or win with 2 point PAT.

Can our quarterback take a snap under center?  Take a knee with a secure snap.  It's called victory formation!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Has Mario done anything that he didn’t say he was going to do?  

I had a boss once that operated solely on checklists.  Mario seems a lot like him.  Both were successful in accomplishing goals.  I don’t recall any goals about looking good while plowing through the list.

Will we give him credit if he wins ugly?  Maybe not, but I doubt he cares.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, Duck1984 said:

I had a boss once that operated solely on checklists.  Mario seems a lot like him.  Both were successful in accomplishing goals.  I don’t recall any goals about looking good while plowing through the list.

Will we give him credit if he wins ugly?  Maybe not, but I doubt he cares.

But People will stop watching and supporting and the stadium seats will be empty.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, Krsmqn said:

But I want to enjoy watching a game. I want to enjoy the experience. The brand of football we've seen of late hasn't met the expectations of the job description MC was hired to do.

I did not enjoy watching the game last evening, much like you. I don't know that I can take this much longer. I gave up golf because it caused so much frustration, will I have to also give up on Oregon football?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2021 at 10:32 AM, Duck1984 said:

Yep.  I was at his introductory press conference and he promised to continue playing "the style of entertaining football that Oregon fans have grown to love."

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep.  I was at his introductory press conference and he promised to continue playing "the style of entertaining football that Oregon fans have grown to love."

Pinnochio? Was Mario's nose growing?

Great take and reminder Mr. FD.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, shawnski said:

We already are

Student section was full

High dollar donor seats on the 50 under the cover weren't half full at the end 

As a season ticket holder, we're done 

I think part of the blame for the empty seats after halftime is not only the product on the field, but the #&@ing 7:30pm kickoffs. 

Many season ticket holders, like myself, drive down from Portland dealing with a huge traffic jam on the way to Eugene, and then end up driving home at midnight in a traffic jam going home. 

I don’t blame any of those fans for leaving…I totally get it. 

The worst part about the win last night will be the continuation of starting AB.

He can't/won't throw downfield. He telegraphs all his passes. He doesn't seem able to go through his reads without always dumping off to the safety valve.

Is he intentionally trying to improve his completion %?!

On 10/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, PittDuck said:

...Watching the game last night, it felt almost like they did everything they could not to Win.

I was expecting the headlines this morning to look something like this: "Ducks manage to not lose once again..."

What a frustrating game to watch.  I know it's horrible human behavior on my part, but every time AB took off on a blind run and ended up under (it seemed like...) 11 other players, I kept thinking (involuntarily of course!) that maybe this is the play where he gets hurt and we finally get to try out one of our young, athletic quarterbacks...  To be fair to him, I do think he made better choices on his runs in this game than the last couple of games - not quite so much of the scramble for 2 yards and collapse at the bottom of the pile...

It was awesome, however, to see KT come storming in and totally create havoc behind the line of scrimmage! I am looking forward to seeing him play the rest of the year.  For me, that may be what it takes to keep watching the rest of the games this year.

Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2021 at 8:12 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I left at halftime. I couldn't take it anymore. I was angry and frustrated. I went out for sushi instead. I actually am considering dumping my six seats and using those funds for both basketball teams, the track teams, and serious celebration while attending those games.

I've been a season ticket holder for quite a long time and never once had these thoughts--even when times were lean. I have never experienced the rain of boos for the home team. There have been boos for kicking versus going for a first down or touch down. Those boos felt like they were directed at the team and the staff. The team is not to blame. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The lack of excitement is off putting and will eventually lose the fans. However think about all the starters or almost starters that have been lost or missed games. . Several linebackers, our best running back and offensive lineman. A good tight end. A starting safety. Perhaps others not coming to mind. Over a quarter of the starters depending on how you count. Quality players that represent more talent than many Oregon teams have had.

There is backup talent that will hopefully find their way. Writing off this team may be premature.