Haywarduck

Why Don't we Like Cristoball/ABall?

It think it is a fair question, when we are a top ten team in the nation, why don't we appreciate, accept this team?

We are a school which has been blessed with amazing qb play for decades. There are 130 D1 teams, each one capable of producing quality, NFL caliber qbs, and we almost without fail produce some of the best. I would name them but we all know and love them.

Even when we struggled we had Justin, maybe the most talented qb yet. This allowed us to continue to think amazing qb play was normal. What we are seeing is the fact most programs struggle with their qb's.

AB should be appreciated, but it is hard at Oregon when our expectations are so high, but the team is behind AB, make no mistake. We may not enjoy his limited abilities, there will be no NFL scouts, but Cristobal, and the players love the guy.

As far as the offense, well plenty has been said about the prevent offense, enough said.

Basically this team isn't enough for the fans. What I saw last night was it is enough, and acceptable for the players. We either accept that, or stay angry. I have to accept it.

5qn8w5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a dominant eternal-optimist gene, so I do appreciate this team. Last night the Ducks seemed to come alive in the fourth quarter. The defense played better—including Thibodeaux, who  maybe needed a quarter to warm up? And even AB played better in the 4th—good, in fact. Inconsistency seems to be a problem for the whole team. Of course, the starting center was out again, and there have been so many other injuries. I don't know. I guess I just keep hoping they will improve and stay improved! I'd rather be the team winning by a touchdown, than one losing 4 games by a touchdown or less, as Cal has done.

The Ducks are 5-1! (though it sure would have been nice if they'd played the last drive in regulation better against Stanford and were 6-0)!

• Thumbs Up 4

Very good question to ask with the team at 5-1.

But does anyone enjoy watching paint dry?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The new normal, 4th quarter with the game on the line, refs give the game away, the other team doesn't get it done. 

What we expect, Oregon runs away with the game, crushes the opponent.

There is a large chasm between expectations and reality with this team.

5qndp8.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It could be worse. Ducks could be 1-5 and boring. I don't know if I'd call it boring. For me it was more frustrating than boring. Being at the game I got the sense that at least the fans around me were more pumped when the D was on the field. 

Clean up the penalties and it would've been a different game.

It was clear though that what we're seeing is what we'll get for the rest of the season unless AB gets hurt.

Identity. I don't know what Identity this Oregon team has except maybe Overrated. I don't see a Top 10 team, the Ducks look more like one of those scrappy teams the Top-10's play at the start of the season. Ohio State looked at Oregon that way, Oregon beat them, and were voted No.3.

Maybe we were spoiled by Chip and LaMichael and Marcus, being up 42-10 at halftime. But we don't need to see that, but how many of us really think the Ducks are going to end any drive with a touchdown? Mario's plan is to control the game, not necessarily by scoring on every drive, but running the clock and dominating on defense. None of that is happening. 

I don't see the Ducks getting into a rhythm on offense, each play seems to be independent of the one before it. Verdell is a big loss. Dye had a great game, but it was against Cal,; I don't think he's going to average 145 a game the rest of the season. 

KT definitely helped the D in the second half, time after time we saw the pressure he put on Garbers, but Cal nearly won. Are the Ducks playing down to the competition or is this just where the Ducks are now?

Why I don't like Cristoball/ABall:

1. 1. Boring
  2. 2. Boring
  3. 3. Boring
  4. 4. You get the point

They could be setting up AB to be more successful, but the product they have now is just really bad.

I agree with what I heard from the stands............BOOOOOOOO.....BOOOOO!

• Thumbs Up 2

They are winning, and winning matters most.

However, I’m tired of hearing how great and physical and disciplined and hard working  they are.

I’d rather hear MC talk em down and have them play up, than hear all the rah rah and see an undisciplined team that isn’t maximizing talent struggle against lesser talent. 

This game should have been over in the first quarter. It took until the last two seconds to beat a 1-4 team at home after a bye. C’mon. 

• Thumbs Up 7

We have 3 major tests coming up--Beavers, Utah and next week UCLA on the road. I think they will lose at least 1 of those games.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

We have 3 major tests coming up--Beavers, Utah and next week UCLA on the road. I think they will lose at least 1 of those games.

It's highly likely they lose all three of those games. If what we saw last night and for 5 of 6 games this season then yeah......we will lose them all playing like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I share most of all these critical sentiments.  This was one of the most painful and boring Oregon games I have ever endured.  Many times, I wanted to turn it off in disgust.

But I have seen this football team, and this coaching staff, produce some of the most incredibly beautiful magic that takes my breath away.

So, I am OK with where we are.  And I believe we are heading in the right direction.

Maybe not this year, but having witnessed what our Achilles Heel has been in years past, we must either adapt to progress, or just stagnate. 

And while the process is excruciatingly glacial, and frustrating, IMHO, it has to be accomplished to reach the promised land.  I may not be there when we do, sigh, but I am satisfied we are on the right path.

I’ll never support or condone Booing these young men, or their coaches.  It’s an absolute anathema to me.

The end of this game was absolute MAGIC.  GO DUCKS! 

1747454879_4thandGoal.thumb.jpg.66ff9edd27c9856bfa59c242e529d9c1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 9:59 AM, C J said:

It's highly likely they lose all three of those games. If what we saw last night and for 5 of 6 games this season then yeah......we will lose them all playing like that.

My thoughts too, but Im trying to have a semi positive attitude but its very hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Continuing with my glass-half-full viewpoint, AB did have 72% pass completion in the Cal game, and some nice runs.

• Like 1

This team will struggle to win games the rest of the season. The reason that I am not overly excited about being 5 - 1 is that I know what a top 10 team looks like. I have a tough time truly believing that we will be that highly ranked by seasons end.

I guess the bright spot is that we are 5 - 1 with a QB that many want to see sitting on the bench.

I do applaud a few of the catches made by our receivers last night. 

I also think that after a bye week and playing at home against Cal, who we lost to last year, we should not need a last second stop on our goal line to win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I brought this topic up because AB, Cristobal and the Oregon Athletic Programs are more like family than a hobby. The teams are our children and grandchildren and not some project we actively work on.

Why can't we accept Anthony and all his limitations? Is he like the adopted child that never really bonds with the rest of the family. Does it take a proper amount of time to bond with a player.

Do we ache for Ty, or Butterfield or even Ashford because they are our guys? Do we somehow want to go through the growing pains with one of ours, but not with somebody else's? 

Were Masoli and Vernon accepted because they met out standards? We certainly turned on Masoli once he made a mistake. Is it just too hard for most to accept a transfer running our extended family and accept their limitations?

With Cristobal I think his acceptance goes back to our DNA. Many of us have rooting for the long shot in our make-up. The problem is we are no longer the dark horse, and the process of rooting for a group players we can't relate to, and allow them to develop is just too confusing. We have no tolerance, or understanding for how the elite struggle and evolve. We are use to beating those guys as they develop and always enjoyed that.

Lastly with Cristobal he isn't an innovator. Oregon fans young and old hunger for innovation. The Knights are even building a 6000' innovation lab at Oregon, something Mario should visit often. The problem is Cristobal isn't an innovator, he comes from Blue Blood programs.

The good news is we have young qb's we hopefully can relate to. Cristobal actually comes from a very humble background, and understands the foundational traits needed to succeed, which aren't just being born great. 

For now we have to accept our qb, even support him, he is ours. We also have to accept Cristobal and his search for Oregon's next great step. I think he will find it, it is taking these young student athletes and letting them enjoy the game more. He at times lets them, but he needs to accept Oregon's football heritage, while we accept him.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/16/2021 at 1:01 PM, 81DuckAlum said:

I share most of all these critical sentiments.  This was one of the most painful and boring Oregon games I have ever endured.  Many times, I wanted to turn it off in disgust.

But I have seen this football team, and this coaching staff, produce some of the most incredibly beautiful magic that takes my breath away.

So, I am OK with where we are.  And I believe we are heading in the right direction.

Maybe not this year, but having witnessed what our Achilles Heel has been in years past, we must either adapt to progress, or just stagnate. 

And while the process is excruciatingly glacial, and frustrating, IMHO, it has to be accomplished to reach the promised land.  I may not be there when we do, sigh, but I am satisfied we are on the right path.

I’ll never support or condone Booing these young men, or their coaches.  It’s an absolute anathema to me.

The end of this game was absolute MAGIC.  GO DUCKS! 

1747454879_4thandGoal.thumb.jpg.66ff9edd27c9856bfa59c242e529d9c1.jpg

Next year? Ducks get to open the season 'at' Georgia with a QB starting his first game? GULP!

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2021 at 12:44 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Next year? Ducks get to open the season 'at' Georgia with a QB starting his first game? GULP!

When I said “not this year”, I certainly did not intend to herald next year as the arrival of the “promised land”… (And did admit that I probably won’t be around to see it anyway.)

But I do believe that we’ll only get there once we can indeed dominate the SEC.

And I think that just like there’s “There's no better way to get good at playing golf ugly,” Coach Mario keeps working on playing his "worst shots” until he learns to get it right.

And boy, are we witnessing the worst shots.  Gulp!

On 10/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Next years first 3 opponents are 17-1 this year. Playing at Georgia will be the start of one of the toughest seasons we have seen.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:55 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

They won't be able to out score UCLA. 

Utah at home in Nov. will be a loss.

I think also they lose at least one of the other three games...we end up 8-4.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we had Over 2  and 1/2 minutes left in the first half and all our time outs and MC , since he to has no confidence in AB, decided to milk the clock even knowing that Cal would get the ball first in the second half. If that doesn’t show lack of confidence in your offense what does? Most our last 10 QBs would have been licking their chops.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:14 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Very good question to ask with the team at 5-1.

But does anyone enjoy watching paint dry?

Exactly!  Well made point!

Haywarduck, I got nothing but love for our Sco Ducks! HC Cristobal & QB AB13. We're a top-five team with a top-five recruiting class. Sco Ducks!

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:43 AM, Haywarduck said:

I brought this topic up because AB, Cristobal and the Oregon Athletic Programs are more like family than a hobby. The teams are our children and grandchildren and not some project we actively work on.

Why can't we accept Anthony and all his limitations? Is he like the adopted child that never really bonds with the rest of the family. Does it take a proper amount of time to bond with a player.

Do we ache for Ty, or Butterfield or even Ashford because they are our guys? Do we somehow want to go through the growing pains with one of ours, but not with somebody else's? 

Were Masoli and Vernon accepted because they met out standards? We certainly turned on Masoli once he made a mistake. Is it just too hard for most to accept a transfer running our extended family and accept their limitations?

With Cristobal I think his acceptance goes back to our DNA. Many of us have rooting for the long shot in our make-up. The problem is we are no longer the dark horse, and the process of rooting for a group players we can't relate to, and allow them to develop is just too confusing. We have no tolerance, or understanding for how the elite struggle and evolve. We are use to beating those guys as they develop and always enjoyed that.

Lastly with Cristobal he isn't an innovator. Oregon fans young and old hunger for innovation. The Knights are even building a 6000' innovation lab at Oregon, something Mario should visit often. The problem is Cristobal isn't an innovator, he comes from Blue Blood programs.

The good news is we have young qb's we hopefully can relate to. Cristobal actually comes from a very humble background, and understands the foundational traits needed to succeed, which aren't just being born great. 

For now we have to accept our qb, even support him, he is ours. We also have to accept Cristobal and his search for Oregon's next great step. I think he will find it, it is taking these young student athletes and letting them enjoy the game more. He at times lets them, but he needs to accept Oregon's football heritage, while we accept him.

Actually, I just want to watch something that's fun to watch. Players always say to have fun playing the game. I ask you, does AB look like he is having fun? Are the WR having fun?

Cristobal is not an innovator, as has been mentioned.  He's conservative, and he plays the players that have the most experience and practice the best that week, unless he has no choice but to play a freshman. Other players may have much more talent, but unless he sees an overwelming improvement in using a given young player,  he'll stick with experience and who he thinks practiced best.

The problem is, the most talented and productive don't always practice the best.  Some of these kids are "gamers", they rise to the occasion in games and under pressure.  They may not truly buy into the practicing, but given game opportunities, they produce.  Devon Williams is one who comes to mind.  Any one of those 3 young quarterbacks could be a gamer that rises to the occasion and competition, but we'll never know as coach just won't take that chance. 

On 10/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, DanLduck said:

Actually, I just want to watch something that's fun to watch. Players always say to have fun playing the game. I ask you, does AB look like he is having fun? Are the WR having fun?

I think they are, these guys are involved in a process which is bringing about a positive result, they are 5-1. The fans are the ones who aren't having fun, we don't appreciate the process, or the outcome. 

I think we have all been involved in a process with bumps in the road. The most enjoyable processes I have been involved in have been full of difficulty. The players are enjoying what they are doing. 

I do agree a different type of offense would be preferable, but I think we are kidding ourselves if we think the players aren't enjoying this run. They will also enjoy the run next year when the young guys take over.