Southwest Duck

Some Positive Observations from Last Night...

After re-watching  the highlights this morning, I came away with a few positives noted below:

What are your positives from last nights game?

1) KT is a difference maker are the real deal.  I hope he stays healthy the rest of the season, so we can see his full potential.

2) Dye played a great game and showed tremendous heart and grit.  I'm not sure he can sustain the beating getting 25 plus touches per game, but for one game I was very impressed!

3) The defense, seemed to play more aggressive, Tim D called more blitzes.  Great call by him on the final play of the game to send the house. 

4) Camden Lewis, everyone wrote him off after last season.  Look at him now, a real weapon.  Way to block out the noise and keep improving Camden!  Hard work pays off!  Credit to Mario for rolling with him despite the criticism. 

5) Noah Sewell is special.

6) Devon Williams looks like he could be our WR1, he is bigger and has the look of an NFL wr.  Here's hoping he is on the field more going forward. 

7) We didn't have to listen to Rod Gilmore.  I thought the announcers last night to did a great job.  Kirk Morrison especially, great point made on that last Cal drive about going for 2 if they scored.   

8 )  Bridges looks like our best option opposite Wright, he made some nice open field tackles and saved the game on that awesome flip pass by Gabbers with KT all over him.  What a tackle by Bridges!! 

What are your positives?? 

GO DUCKS 

Edited by Southwest Duck
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

It was a win.

Nobody got hurt that I noticed.

The uniforms were very cool.

The game was played after most people were asleep.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, you really nailed it on those.

1) KT is awesome and made a huge impact. Immediately Cal even changed their play calling with him in. 

2) #33 Bassa, Freshman safety, playing MLB for the first time, did pretty darn well

3) Dorlus made some great plays

4) D tackling has been pretty darn good all season, #2 Wright specifically as he gives up 20 lbs yet still brings the wood.

5) T. Dye was reading the holes and hitting them like a man possessed. Say what you want about Cal, but he made it happen.

6) screen pass call to Dye in 4th quarter was perfect, should do that more. 

7) #21 Cardwell looked excellent on his only 2 touches. Kid needs to have the ball in his hand

There are some really GREAT things out there. It's just that poor or mediocre QB play is driving this bus 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Lastly, sorry:

D is really building for the future having to play all of these young guys, and doing pretty well.

Offense, not so much 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2021 at 9:11 AM, Southwest Duck said:

7) We didn't have to listen to Rod Gilmore.  I thought the announcers last night to did a great job.  Kirk Morrison especially, great point made on that last Cal drive about going for 2 if they scored. 

I think by the end of the game Cal fans were tired of hearing about KT and Oregon fans were tired of hearing about how Cal was going to pull off the upset. 

I will add to the list of positives.... NO PISTOL! 

I don't remember seeing any pistol plundges last night... Just shotgun. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Love the look the defense gave us in the second half. Just a preview of what’s to come when we get healthy. 

Noah is a beast. He knocks himself goofy at least once a game but shakes it off and gets back in their without leaving the field. There will be some sore Bears today. Do not want this kid hitting my Quarterback for sure.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

i think most of the highlights i can think of have been covered but i wanted to say that i'm stoked for/about Camden Lewis, he's really transformed.  As a fan yelling from the couch I went from it's 4th and 20 we should probably go for it to you know what there's a good chance Camden nails the kick.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, deschutesduck said:

i think most of the highlights i can think of have been covered but i wanted to say that i'm stoked for/about Camden Lewis, he's really transformed.  As a fan yelling from the couch I went from it's 4th and 20 we should probably go for it to you know what there's a good chance Camden nails the kick.

What a turnaround for Lewis.  Comeback player of the year, for sure.

Too bad we had two fumbles and a turn over on downs.  That's 3 opportunities lost for field goals.

A big positive?  We got to see the Inside Blitzes that I wrote about before the season, and the best one was the last play!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Another positive observation last night... 

No new injuries.

DJ James ... Maybe as it looked like he headed into the locker room at one point. However, he was just walking, didn't looking in pain. So who knows why he was leaving the field... But I would imagine it was mild. 

So maybe this team gets healthy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Colorado beat Arizona 34-0 - Wow-Colorado is on the schedule.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Colorado beat Arizona 34-0 - Wow-Colorado is on the schedule

Arizona found their QB and he has since been injured for the season. 

I think it took any life out of that Arizona team.

• Thumbs Up 1

KT shored up that defense in the second half, relentlessly pressuring the QB to throw the ball earlier than he wanted to or take off, running the ball.  That pressure on the QB was missing in the first half. KT is a game changer, and it has been an absolute pleasure, watching him play.  He's forces every team to take their offensive game plan and toss it out the window.  It's a shame that this is probably his final year.  He's still a considered a sophomore due to COVID, but there is no reason to expect him to return and risk injury to himself and to his draft stock, as one of the projected favorites, for the overall #1 draft pick.

A lot of DeRuyter's defense relies and revolves around KT.  So when KT isn't playing, DeRuyter's bend-but-don't-break defense isn't as effective.  The announcer for the Cal game, rightfully criticized DeRuyter, for dropping KT back into coverage.  When you have a beast like KT, you unleash him and let him do what he does best, rushing the QB and let the chips fall where they may.  I wouldn't bet against KT.

• Thumbs Up 3

Southwest Duck, I'm glad we won the game without injuries. Sco Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

1. AB goes 20 for 28

2. Travis Dye punches way above his weight class

3. The final score was in our favor

4. KT scares opposing offenses.......this really makes me happy 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, DuckIt said:

KT shored up that defense in the second half, relentlessly pressuring the QB to throw the ball earlier than he wanted to or take off, running the ball.  That pressure on the QB was missing in the first half. KT is a game changer, and it has been an absolute pleasure, watching him play.  He's forces every team to take their offensive game plan and toss it out the window.  It's a shame that this is probably his final year.  He's still a considered a sophomore due to COVID, but there is no reason to expect him to return and risk injury to himself and to his draft stock, as one of the projected favorites, for the overall #1 draft pick.

A lot of DeRuyter's defense relies and revolves around KT.  So when KT isn't playing, DeRuyter's bend-but-don't-break defense isn't as effective.  The announcer for the Cal game, rightfully criticized DeRuyter, for dropping KT back into coverage.  When you have a beast like KT, you unleash him and let him do what he does best, rushing the QB and let the chips fall where they may.  I wouldn't bet against KT.

So true about KT

It is a shame we only get to see 7 or 8 more games with him in a ducks uniform.

3 seasons of him feels more like 1.5 seasons with the ankle injury, horrible targeting call and the shorted COVID 2020 season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:34 AM, David Marsh said:

I think by the end of the game Cal fans were tired of hearing about KT and Oregon fans were tired of hearing about how Cal was going to pull off the upset. 

I will add to the list of positives.... NO PISTOL! 

I don't remember seeing any pistol plundges last night... Just shotgun. 

Yep...no pistol.  Announcers were annoying, but the guy was spot on a lot, like it or not 

Edited by JDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I entered this thread specifically to comment about Camden Lewis.  That was a huge 49 yarder. He's perfect in FGs and PATs this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is nice to have Camden Lewis to remind us all, players do develop, and it is rewarding to see it happen.

The other positive is the win. The warriors on this team deserve a great season and a win, down the road, will be looked upon as just that, a win. 

In 2019 we went from beating Cal, at home by 10, to some really good games. If we can build off this win then we just might see some good football going forward.

The main positive is the this team is 5-1 just like in 2019. This team has an opportunity to do as well and better than that team, the time is now, Go Ducks!

Also thanks for starting this thread. After yesterday I was going to take a hiatus from posting. I just don't need to see this team attacked or kick them anymore with posts. These student athletes are doing their best, and the coaches, with all their flaws care about this group more than most will ever know. They deserve constructive criticism, but our unending support, in the end.

• Thumbs Up 6

MR. T in the 2nd half.

Per Pro Football Focus - 22 2nd half pass-rush snaps. 11 QB pressures. 1 sack. 2 QB hits. 

And preseason folks speculated that OK QB Rattler would be picked ahead of KT?

• Thumbs Up 1