Mike West

How long will it take recruits to figure it out?

We are back to Oregon before Chip Kelly transformed football.

Solid Defense...an Offense that does just enough.  Until we face elite teams. 

I think the title of this article is correct.  Not sure USC gets the next Nick Saban or Urban Meyer though.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/16/oregon-is-not-becoming-a-superpower-the-right-usc-hire-changes-everything/

Unfortunately the article is correct; Cristobal has left the door, the opportunity wide open for USC, Arizona State...any of them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Who would be disappointed if for some crazy reason MC left for USC. Or Miami?

On 10/16/2021 at 3:37 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

A fascinating question, as I feel that a month ago the screaming would be heard for miles if Mario left, now I think, not so loud. 

Mario is able to recruit because of Oregon's past and what he is selling. The Oregon Ducks of 2021 aren't what they were in the past and I am not sure what he is selling. 

Oregon's recruits are drawn to becoming the next DAT, ask multiple Ducks who they grew up watching and they will say DAT. The plethora of Duck qb's and one we didn't recruit, Tua, grew up idolizing Marcus and more recently they want to be the next Justin. The hurry up, massive scoring teams are what Mario is able to leverage with these recruits.

What he is selling, obviously extends beyond the offense. He has recruited extremely well at LB and other positions, but I really wonder what kind of picture does he sell these kids?

The real question is what is Mario selling and does it align with what he is producing? I know we have heard him talk about improving upon the past. I wonder what he is telling the recruits. It has worked up to this point.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

That's a $9M exit fee. Miami doesn't have the money. Would SC pay this buy out having watched the team struggle in 2020 and 2021?

If any school should know SC should know that you have to do more than recruit.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, Haywarduck said:

Mario is able to recruit because of Oregon's past and what he is selling. The Oregon Ducks of 2021 aren't what they were in the past and I am not sure what he is selling. 

Oregon's recruits are drawn to becoming the next DAT, ask multiple Ducks who they grew up watching and they will say DAT. The plethora of Duck qb's and one we didn't recruit, Tua, grew up idolizing Marcus and more recently they want to be the next Justin. The hurry up, massive scoring teams are what Mario is able to leverage with these recruits.

What he is selling, obviously extends beyond the offense. He has recruited extremely well at LB and other positions, but I really wonder what kind of picture does he sell these kids?

The real question is what is Mario selling and does it align with what he is producing? I know we have heard him talk about improving upon the past. I wonder what he is telling the recruits. It has worked up to this point.

Oregon has tremendous facilities.  UO is a FUN place to go to school.  Eugene is a great town.  Recruits get a chance to play with other great players.  Phil Knight!  Hayward Field!  Lotsa eye-popping things to tempt recruits to want to join UO.  Gotta admit, though…….Cristobal’s coaching so far……would not be a plus, for me!

• Thumbs Up 1

1.5 more seasons is my prediction. If this keeps up well into next season then the 23 class will start to show it.

Mario Cristobal. No better CFB HC on Signing Days.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:04 PM, C J said:

1.5 more seasons is my prediction. If this keeps up well into next season then the 23 class will start to show it.

And how many Ducks post 2021 will head to the portal?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And how many Ducks post 2021 will head to the portal?

Ouch.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, Haywarduck said:

Haywarduck, DAT?

Mike West, everyone associated with our Sco Ducks! should ensure that Coach Cristobal's annual salary is gradually increased, along with his retirement plans at Oregon, because as a former Cane from "Da U!", he's brought " Da U!" to "Da O!" and made us UO.  He loves it here. His family loves it here. He loves coaching here. This is his home. His players love him as their head coach. Both our President & UO love his results. We as Sco Ducks! Fans should fully support him, because he's a top-five college football HC, and every open HC job at the college and pro level annually target him at their top HC candidate. Sco Ducks!

On 10/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, jega said:

Fans should fully support him, because he's a top-five college football HC, and every open HC job at the college and pro level annually target him at their top HC candidate.

Aren't you having a bit too much fun with this?  (I'm feeling snookered....)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, yes, I am having a bit too much fun with this, because I love our Sco Ducks!  You shouldn't be feeling snookered, because Coach Cristobal has our squad positioned towards a deep playoff run. He doesn't make excuses when we lose, and he always notes our necessary improvements after each win. Our weekly 1-0 mentality. Stays even-keeled win or lose. Doesn't get too up or down with each win or loss. Very calm.  Focuses on each opponent one game at a time. The mark of a true Oregon HC, like our other legendary Oregon HCs. Sco Ducks!

On 10/16/2021 at 8:51 PM, jega said:

Haywarduck, DAT?

The Black Mamba.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:13 PM, Duckdude said:

Oregon has tremendous facilities.  UO is a FUN place to go to school.  Eugene is a great town.  Recruits get a chance to play with other great players.  Phil Knight!  Hayward Field!  Lotsa eye-popping things to tempt recruits to want to join UO.  Gotta admit, though…….Cristobal’s coaching so far……would not be a plus, for me!

The NIL thing will begin to influence where kids go to school. There will be huge upsides to being in a large media market. L.A. will once again dominate the Pac 12.

Edited by TheRunningDuck

I have to say that I am honestly surprised by a number of the excellent comments above.

A top 5 coach? Saban, Swinney, Day, Riley, Smart, Brian Kelly, Mark Stoops, Jimbo Fisher, Matt Campbell, James Franklin, Kirk Ferentz, Whittingham and a number of other coaches are ranked ahead of Mario in the CBS, ESPN, Athlon and other ranking of HCs.

Mario's biggest W to date is a 1 point win over a 3L team in the Rose Bowl. And I must note that he is falling off many the ADs radar. He is fantastic recruiter. However, he has a losing record as a HC. And let's be honest, Oregon is not competing against SEC or B1G E competition.

WE watched Oregon struggle at home vs, among others, Arizona. Yesterday CU defeated Arizona 34-0.

Now Mario, please shut me up. Run the table all the way to the 2021 Final 4.

This is my first post, but have enjoyed the many thoughts and opinions over the last couple of years.  One thought keeps running through my head: what is the psychological impact to a HC, who has many top level players with a solid chance to have one of the four teams in the playoffs, to have so many key player injuries?  Does that effect game strategy at some point?  It seems the number of sidelined players that we’ve had at one time this year is very unusual?

I can’t sell Mario quite yet. I hope he will learn at a faster pace however and open things up. We actually witnessed a screen pass go for a large chunk and caught Cal totally off guard. He has the athletes so there is no reason this team can’t grow into a juggernaut with the proper QB leading the way. 

I know I bad mouth MC too much but it is totally up to him to shut me and many other critical fans the hell up.

Now go beat Chip, that will help.

On 10/17/2021 at 7:49 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

The NIL thing will begin to influence where kids go to school. There will be huge upsides to being in a large media market. L.A. will once again dominate the Pac 12.

Such a great point. And I think a lot of people failed to recognize the negative impact this will have on schools outside of the large media markets. 

Mario recruits talent and character. He needs to stick around, but maybe we should start looking for a new OC.