Jon Joseph

WEEK 7 - MORE TOP 25 CARNAGE

Yesterday, 10/16, 7 Top 25 teams were idle.

11 ranked teams won.

7 ranked teams lost. 5 lost to unranked opponents.

For the 9th time in its football history NR Purdue beat a ranked team. This time taking down #2 Iowa in Iowa City. Tied for 2nd on NR defeating ranked is Arizona with but 4 such victories. 

Herm Edwards is now 4-6 as a ranked vs NR, HC. In Salt Lake City, Utah shut out ASU in the 2nd half.

UCLA pulled out the win at UW. Jimmy Lake is now 5-5 at the Husky head coach.

Georgia's D is as advertised: Devastating. Bama rebounded big time. Ole Miss hung on in Lane's return to Tennessee although Lane was hit in the head with a golf ball; game was delayed when Vols were denied a 1st down on a 4th down attempt and fans littered the field with bottles, cups and yes, golf balls. Ed Orgeron likely saved his job with a 49-42 victory over Florida.

Oklahoma started Caleb Williams at QB and blew out TCU. Oklahoma State came back in Texas to whip the Horns. Both team are undefeated setting up what could be an epic Bedlam game in Stillwater

Mel Tucker, with a W at Indiana has Michigan State at 7-0  Dave Aranda has Baylor at 6-1. Remarkable 2nd year turn arounds by these two head coaches.

Cincinnati after its destruction of UCF and with ranked P5 teams falling left and right has a most legit shot at the Final 4. 

My Week 7 Final 4 Guess?

1. Georgia

2. Oklahoma

3. Cincinnati

4 Ohio State

Bury the Bruins!

• Thumbs Up 6

You always come up with good stats. Thanks for the info.

I appreciate the work you put into this post.

Utah looked great in the 2nd half.  By the time the Ducks get down there, I hope Oregon is playing their best ball.

Cincy's "strength" of schedule really bothers me because even if they are are that good, they aren't going to get beat up like many other teams that battle much more physical teams resulting in injuries.

Louisville and Houston were in the same boat in the past and they both fizzled out, so it's tough to be a believer.

Thanks for the awesome post Jon!

I agree with your top 4

Oklahoma at 2 is spot on.

They are a much better team with Caleb Williams at QB.

Thank you Just Ducky, nw777b + SW Duck.

Cincinnati has to hope that SMU stays undefeated and stays in the top 25 before the Bearcats play the Ponies. 

Also hope that Notre Dame finishes 11-1, which is doable.

The Bearcats are aided by Clemson and the ACC being down and the Pac-12 being down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The big question is…

Does an undefeated Cincinnati get in the playoff over a 1 loss Oregon pac-12 champ?

On 10/17/2021 at 8:57 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Does an undefeated Cincinnati get in the playoff over a 1 loss Oregon pac-12 champ?

That would have the Committee working. Ih tOSU is in, it would be really tough for Oregon to be left out. If Cincy represents Ohio, Oregon has a tougher road.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, Just Ducky said:

You always come up with good stats. Thanks for the info.

Amen.  Jon does great research and brings us great information for future pondering.  Thanks Jon!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/17/2021 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Amen.  Jon does great research and brings us great information for future pondering.  Thanks Jon!

giphy.gif

Thank you Charles.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:06 PM, 30Duck said:

That would have the Committee working. Ih tOSU is in, it would be really tough for Oregon to be left out. If Cincy represents Ohio, Oregon has a tougher road.

So much of this would come down to SOS. Oregon goes 12-1, how many top 25 teams will the Ducks have played? 

Will there be another Pac-12 top 25 team in the Committee's ultimate ranking?

How will Notre Dame finish? And will ND blow out SC this Saturday and Stanford at season's end?

I note that no 1L undisputed P5 conference champ, this season will not end like the B12 ended with Baylor/TCU being co-champs, has been left out of the PO. 

Eye test? Cincy is winning with style. Oregon?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

My Week 7 Final 4 Guess?

1. Georgia

2. Oklahoma

3. Cincinnati

4 Ohio State

No love for Coastal Carolina?

On 10/17/2021 at 11:49 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you Just Ducky, nw777b + SW Duck.

Cincinnati has to hope that SMU stays undefeated and stays in the top 25 before the Bearcats play the Ponies. 

Also hope that Notre Dame finishes 11-1, which is doable.

The Bearcats are aided by Clemson and the ACC being down and the Pac-12 being down. 

Week 7 AP - Ohio State 5; Notre Dame 13; SMU 21.

OREGON - 10 - only Pac-12 team ranked.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:03 PM, Duck1984 said:

No love for Coastal Carolina?

None from me but lots from the AP voters. CC is #14 having played No One.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, Jon Joseph said:

None from me but lots from the AP voters. CC is #14 having played No One.

Coastal Carolina runs one of the most innovative and high scoring offenses in D1 college football.  

Can we enjoy the offensive days of old UO vicariously through the Chanticleers?

YES! And NO?

The AP poll voters sure appreciate the CC effort to date. CC's big OOC win? Kansas?

On 10/17/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CC's big OOC win? Kansas?

Ridiculous. The last time Kansas was good? Gale Sayers was on the team. 

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:00 PM, 30Duck said:

Ridiculous. The last time Kansas was good? Gale Sayers was on the team. 

Don't forget Coach Mangino taking KS to the Orange Bowl and winning. Mangino was fired because he was a big meanie.

And when Glen Mason was the Jayhawks coach, KS was respectable.

Sayers running the ball reminded me of a great hockey player carrying the puck up ice. 

Fluid, smooth and tough as nails.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Sayers running the ball reminded me of a great hockey player carrying the puck up ice. 

Any highlights video of Sayers is worth watching over and over and over. He and Sandy Koufax, two HOF'ers, whose careers were far too short. 

On 10/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, 30Duck said:

Any highlights video of Sayers is worth watching over and over and over. He and Sandy Koufax, two HOF'ers, whose careers were far too short. 

SPOT ON! Younger fans on the Forum are asking: Who are these guys?