Southwest Duck

The Worst play of the Cal Game

In the above picture, Ab checks down to Dye for a turnover on downs, killing our momentum.  For a casual fan like myself, it looks like Spencer Webb is wide open for a big gain at the 17 yard line.  

Is this a horrible decision by AB?  I think so.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Is this a horrible decision by AB?  I think so.

I agree, and theoretically, AB is in at QB because he;s a 6 year Senior and he won't make mistakes like that. But this one, on a passing play, and against Stanford he made the wrong read on a running play, keeping it instead of pitching to Verdell who could have walked to the end zone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There were a lot to chose from.

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems like he cant see downfield at all. There a plenty of times this happens in every game.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is supposed to be inspiring. But isn't it kind of depressing?

• Thumbs Up 1

If he could pass to himself he would. The guy is as selfish as any QB can be. There are plenty of plays for all six games I thought just be a true, "point guard", field general and this team is electric! You do you and just be the first QB to be booed by the entire student section. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The above play goes down as a completion in the stat book, but in all reality it is as bad as an interception.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:51 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

It seems like he cant see downfield at all. There a plenty of times this happens in every game.

Thanks for sharing this screenshot.  That was driving me nuts all game.  AB throwing well short of 1st down marker on 3rd and 4th down.  Without freezing the frame like you did, I wasn't sure if there were any other receivers open on these downs.  Your screenshot confirms that there were other options, and AB either didn't see them or wasn't looking for them.  There is BIG difference between the two.  I'm not sure if AB has been going through his progressions.  He certainly hasn't been great and proficient at reading the defense. Also, the announcer pointed it out on one play, that AB locked eyes on his receiver which allowed the DB, to read AB's eyes and break up the pass.  He may prefer and feel more confident, throwing these shorter passes.  Regardless, AB's limitations are hurting the offense and impeding its growth.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, criticalduck said:

If he could pass to himself he would. The guy is as selfish as any QB can be. There are plenty of plays for all six games I thought just be a true, "point guard", field general and this team is electric! You do you and just be the first QB to be booed by the entire student section. 

That could be because AB knows this is his last chance to impress the NFL scouts.  Unless they are looking for a Tim Tebow type of QB, as a run first option, I don't think any of them are seriously looking at him for his arm.  There are probably better candidates for running the ball though like that Ohio QB who ran for 99 yd touchdown yesterday, from end zone to end zone.

Edited by DuckIt