Charles Fischer

Toughest Prediction Contest EVER for Oregon Fans?

I am thinking about posting a contest later in the week that would very difficult for all of us.  It would be...."predict the final record of Oregon."  We do it right now before the UCLA game, with the last half of the season and whatever postseason you believe will occur.

But I think this contest could go south on us....with the amount of pessimism, of which would add to our down mood.

Let's NOT start it yet, but I am asking you--should we do it?  There are many impacts of it, as we may shock each other both ways.  And this one could be considered easy to predict, or incredibly hard for a devoted Duck fan.

It is almost like....I do want to know your prediction, yet at the same time--I don't.

Give me feedback everyone...should we do it, and again... do NOT start giving predictions yet please.

giphy.gif

It's an itch that could backfire...

Mr. FishDuck

That cat is doing a fine expressionistic enactment of the Duck offense.

Sure Charles, let’s do it.  While the pessimism is still high.  

Some will be happy with the outcome of a dire prediction, but also happy to be wrong.

Realists likely won’t care either way.

Others will be happy with the outcome of an optimistic prediction, but could be wrong, yet still happy as optimists.

Everybody is happy except the realists.  

I am just concerned about how some may react to the-end-of-the-spectrum-views of others.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Mr. FishDuck

I say, "Just Do It"

• Thumbs Up 1

Its all in how we look at things. Some just look for the win loss record for the season to be successful or not.

Then there's the outside of the playing field aspects of the Ducks like recruiting, brand enhancement, TV ratings and very importantly to some is how big the program has gotten in terms of money thrown at it.

Back 20 years ago we didn't think too much of the later.

Ive been a Duck fan for over 40 years and remember being happy if we even received votes in the others category of the AP poll. 

Do it! Should be fun.

Ducks only Pac-12 team in Week 7 AP Poll.

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.

- Niels Bohr

On 10/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, jrw said:

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.

- Niels Bohr

According to Niels, aren't the past, present and future all occurring at the same time?

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Ducks only Pac-12 team in Week 7 AP Poll.

Oregon dropped 1, to No.10, Iowa plummeted 9, to No.11.

I guarantee that any pessimism caused by such a poll will be far outweighed by that pessimism coming to actual fruition. 

• Haha 1

Well if people think my prediction is too pessimistic they can bask in the knowledge that i'm almost always wrong predicting games. 😄🤦‍♂️

On 10/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, 30Duck said:

Oregon dropped 1, to No.10, Iowa plummeted 9, to No.11.

And Bama's L on the road to a 2L team has Bama ranked at 4, right? Ahead of undefeated Michigan, OK ST and Michigan State.

Highest ranked 2L team? #17 A+M, of course.! The team Bama lost to. Next highest ranked 2L team?  #19 Auburn.

In other words, this poll would perfectly set the SEC up for 2 final 4 teams if UGA + Bama both win out and Bama wins the SEC champ game.

Loooooooooong way to go. But if somehow, someway, the Ducks finish 12-1, Oregon could be the first undisputed P5 champ with a 12-1 record to be left out of the final 4?

Ohio State has #6, #7 and #9 left to play and will play a top 25 team in the B1G champ game.

I don’t think it would be a bad thing Charles, on a forum like this.  We would just have to acknowledge up front, just like the score contest, it’s gonna be a bunch of wild-@$$ guesses!

On 10/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, deschutesduck said:

Well if people think my prediction is too pessimistic they can bask in the knowledge that I'm almost always wrong predicting games. 

Ditto for me.  My prediction record is as dismal as what my season record prediction would be.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Given the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the offense it's just impossible to make any sort of semi-accurate prediction, plus the dark mood probably skews any predictions artificially downward in some regard.  Oregon could finish anywhere from the Rose Bowl to the Sun Bowl...