Ryan Robertson

Brenden Schooler isn't too bad

So I get curious about guys who transfer out of the program from time to time. I'll look up their stats and highlights to see how they are doing, just to see if it was the program or the player that was an issue.

Brenden Schooler is a guy I was always confused about. He doesn't, to me, seem like a power 5 caliber player.

But there he was at Texas, a decent team this year, with 12 catches for 140 yards and 2 touchdowns in seven games.

Its nice to see guys take advantage of their opportunities. 

Schooler is a great athlete.  Free safety was his best position IMO.

I thought that since he did not have great speed, that perhaps the strong safety or nickel in the Avalos defense would have been a good fit for him.  He might have been a good replacement for the loss of Holland!

Brenden Schooler_Scott Kelly_FP.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I would compare him to Jeff Maehl but liked the energy he brought to the defense too.  Some interesting decisions by coaches, in my mind.  Was sad to see him enter the portal.  But so much indecisions about offense/defense by coaches, factors into players decisions.  Daewood Davis is such a great team player, that his goals get overlooked by coaches choices.  Best of luck to him also going forward, Always a Duck!

Schooler is a team player and Taggart moved him to offense out of need. Schooler really should have stayed on defense. He led the team in 2016 with interceptions.

He actually reminds me a lot of Brady Breeze (and it's not just the hair) but both were ball hawking and physical safeties. It was a major shame to see him go to the offensive side of the ball and disappear.

2 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

I thought that since he did not have great speed, that perhaps the strong safety or nickel in the Avalos defense would have been a good fit for him.  He might have been a good replacement for the loss of Holland!

Brenden Schooler_Scott Kelly_FP.jpg

Schooler ran a 10.76 1OOM and long jumped over 23 foot in HS.  He had good straight line speed but not much wiggle.  He could really high point the football on the back end of the D and had good range.  

3 hours ago, ptdduck said:

Schooler ran a 10.76 1OOM and long jumped over 23 foot in HS.  He had good straight line speed but not much wiggle.  He could really high point the football on the back end of the D and had good range.  

His touchdown in the first game of the year this year was pretty impressive, and showed off some athleticism I forgot he had.